Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sharp launches 6MP 1/1.8" CCD

Sharp launches 6MP 1/1.8" CCD

Alfred Molon

http://www.golem.de/0312/28988.html
(sorry only German)

Basically the article says that Sharp has created a 1/1.8" CCD with
six million pixels. Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
2.872 x 2.160 pixels (the CCD itself has a size of 7.2 x 5.3 mm).

It's not clear yet how the noise levels of this new CCD will be, but
now at least in theory that opens the way for the shift to "compact
high-end" cameras with 6MP.
Olympus, Canon and others might now launch 6060, G6 etc. cameras with
the same body (and lens?) then the current 5MP models.
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, bhilton665
@aol.comedy says...
> >From: Alfred Molon http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> >Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
> >2.872 x 2.160 pixels

> "pixels" doesn't make sense, did you mean "cm" and just mistype it?

Why wouldn't pixel make sense ?
--

Alfred Molon

Bill Hilton

>From: Alfred Molon (E-Mail Removed)

>Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
>2.872 x 2.160 pixels

"pixels" doesn't make sense, did you mean "cm" and just mistype it?

Bill

Bill Hilton

>>From: Alfred Molon (E-Mail Removed)
>
>>Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
>>2.872 x 2.160 pixels

>From: (E-Mail Removed)dy (Bill Hilton)
>
>"pixels" doesn't make sense, did you mean "cm" and just mistype it?

On second thought I'll bet this is just a different way of expressing numbers,
and "2.872 x 2.160 pixels" would be expressed as "2,872 x 2,160 pixels" in
other countries (like mine), right?

If so, sorry for the first post. I've been to Europe enough times that I
should have caught this first time around

Bill

Phnix

Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> From: Alfred Molon (E-Mail Removed)

>>> Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
>>> 2.872 x 2.160 pixels

>> From: (E-Mail Removed)dy (Bill Hilton)
>>
>> "pixels" doesn't make sense, did you mean "cm" and just mistype it?

> On second thought I'll bet this is just a different way of expressing
> numbers, and "2.872 x 2.160 pixels" would be expressed as "2,872 x
> 2,160 pixels" in other countries (like mine), right?

I don't know of a country in which 2.872 is not a decimal expression. Anyone
know?

> If so, sorry for the first post. I've been to Europe enough times
> that I should have caught this first time around

I think it more likely the OP just made a small notation error.

> Bill

Vlad Dracul

"Phnix" <mindyouownbusiness> schreef in bericht
news:3fe45753$0$9393$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I don't know of a country in which 2.872 is not a decimal expression.

Anyone
> know?

2.872 to me means two-thousand, eight-hundred and seventy-two

VVlad
(from the Netherlands)

Nils Rostedt

> I don't know of a country in which 2.872 is not a decimal expression.

Anyone
> know?

Take a look and browse the Regional Settings in your Control Panel. A number
of major languages use the full stop as thousands separator and the comma as
decimal separator.

ThermosBoy (TM)

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:37:40 GMT, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.golem.de/0312/28988.html
>(sorry only German)
>
>Basically the article says that Sharp has created a 1/1.8" CCD with
>six million pixels. Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
>2.872 x 2.160 pixels (the CCD itself has a size of 7.2 x 5.3 mm).
>
>It's not clear yet how the noise levels of this new CCD will be, but
>now at least in theory that opens the way for the shift to "compact
>high-end" cameras with 6MP.
>Olympus, Canon and others might now launch 6060, G6 etc. cameras with
>the same body (and lens?) then the current 5MP models.

good news! I never knew Sharp made their own CCDs.

Larry Lynch

In article <bs1lkq$pkb$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> 2.872 to me means two-thousand, eight-hundred and seventy-two
>
> VVlad
> (from the Netherlands)

Also means the same in MANY places.. the only place I
know of that you amost NEVER see that type of notation
is in our U.S. grade 1 through 12 school system.
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

Povl H. Pedersen

On 2003-12-20, Larry Lynch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <bs1lkq$pkb$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> 2.872 to me means two-thousand, eight-hundred and seventy-two
>>
>> VVlad
>> (from the Netherlands)
>>

> Also means the same in MANY places.. the only place I
> know of that you amost NEVER see that type of notation
> is in our U.S. grade 1 through 12 school system.

But you also learn wrong measurements there. You still use
imperial measurements, even though the empire itsel is officially
metric by now.

I know US engineers designing for the military must be metric now.
How much else has changed over ?