Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A clique of the shutter?

A clique of the shutter?

Marc

Having spent two or three weeks reading this group it's become obvious that
it has more than its fair share of camera snobs.

Take the new Sony 828, as an example.

The 'purists' are busily deriding it - yet the new sample images posted on
Steve's Digicams look pretty good to me!

The consensus seems to be that it's not a 'real' camera because it's not
produced by a 'real' camera manufacturer.

The Minolta A1, on the other hand, is applauded despite the fact that
(according to many consumer reviews) it feels cheap, has a nasty grating
'plastic' action on the zoom barrel, and produces so much noise that Minolta
ought to offer a free pair of ear defenders with every purchase!...

Yet......it's from a 'real' camera maker......so that's all right then!....

Similar comments cold be made about offerings from Canon (20,000 shutter
operations...Whoopee!) Nikon, Olympus, Pentax........ all of whom have
their devotees - because they're 'real' photographic companies!

So, to avoid being ridiculed by the snobs, it's best to buy from one of the
mainstream manufacturers. But, hang on...... the snobs will still sneer at
your purchase because it's not a DSLR! - and, if you DO buy a DSLR, they;ll
still make pitying comments, unless it's a better DSLR than the one they
happen to own.....

I was almost dissuaded from buying the F828 - because of the negative
comments of these self appointed pundits.

Yet, it seems very well made, is packed with features - and seems to produce
pictures that 9999 out of 10000 'amateurs' would be happy with.

What's more, it's available in the UK for less than the price of a Minolta
A1.

So, sod the snobs....... especially the one's who post from Japan.....

Charles

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:02:37 -0000, "Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Having spent two or three weeks reading this group it's become obvious that
>it has more than its fair share of camera snobs.
>
>Take the new Sony 828, as an example.
>
>The 'purists' are busily deriding it - yet the new sample images posted on
>Steve's Digicams look pretty good to me!
>
>The consensus seems to be that it's not a 'real' camera because it's not
>produced by a 'real' camera manufacturer.
>
> The Minolta A1, on the other hand, is applauded despite the fact that
>(according to many consumer reviews) it feels cheap, has a nasty grating
>'plastic' action on the zoom barrel, and produces so much noise that Minolta
>ought to offer a free pair of ear defenders with every purchase!...
>
>Yet......it's from a 'real' camera maker......so that's all right then!....
>
>Similar comments cold be made about offerings from Canon (20,000 shutter
>operations...Whoopee!) Nikon, Olympus, Pentax........ all of whom have
>their devotees - because they're 'real' photographic companies!
>
>So, to avoid being ridiculed by the snobs, it's best to buy from one of the
>mainstream manufacturers. But, hang on...... the snobs will still sneer at
>your purchase because it's not a DSLR! - and, if you DO buy a DSLR, they;ll
>still make pitying comments, unless it's a better DSLR than the one they
>happen to own.....
>
>I was almost dissuaded from buying the F828 - because of the negative
>comments of these self appointed pundits.
>
>Yet, it seems very well made, is packed with features - and seems to produce
>pictures that 9999 out of 10000 'amateurs' would be happy with.
>
>What's more, it's available in the UK for less than the price of a Minolta
>A1.
>
>So, sod the snobs....... especially the one's who post from Japan.....

coming here is sort of like going to the grocery store.

Take what is good, don't feel you have to take everything.

Most people post here for entertainment, very few get paid to be here.
--

- Charles
-

Tony Spadaro

Has somebody stepped on the poor little boy's feelings?

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tmTEb.6877$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having spent two or three weeks reading this group it's become obvious

that
> it has more than its fair share of camera snobs.
>
> Take the new Sony 828, as an example.
>
> The 'purists' are busily deriding it - yet the new sample images posted on
> Steve's Digicams look pretty good to me!
>
> The consensus seems to be that it's not a 'real' camera because it's not
> produced by a 'real' camera manufacturer.
>
> The Minolta A1, on the other hand, is applauded despite the fact that
> (according to many consumer reviews) it feels cheap, has a nasty grating
> 'plastic' action on the zoom barrel, and produces so much noise that

Minolta
> ought to offer a free pair of ear defenders with every purchase!...
>
> Yet......it's from a 'real' camera maker......so that's all right

then!....

> Similar comments cold be made about offerings from Canon (20,000 shutter
> operations...Whoopee!) Nikon, Olympus, Pentax........ all of whom have
> their devotees - because they're 'real' photographic companies!
>
> So, to avoid being ridiculed by the snobs, it's best to buy from one of

the
> mainstream manufacturers. But, hang on...... the snobs will still sneer

at
> your purchase because it's not a DSLR! - and, if you DO buy a DSLR,

they;ll
> still make pitying comments, unless it's a better DSLR than the one they
> happen to own.....
>
> I was almost dissuaded from buying the F828 - because of the negative
> comments of these self appointed pundits.
>
> Yet, it seems very well made, is packed with features - and seems to

produce
> pictures that 9999 out of 10000 'amateurs' would be happy with.
>
> What's more, it's available in the UK for less than the price of a Minolta
> A1.
>
> So, sod the snobs....... especially the one's who post from Japan.....

Marc

"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U1UEb.142750$(E-Mail Removed) .com...

> Has somebody stepped on the poor little boy's feelings?<

You do a lot of top-posting, do you?...

Mike

"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:02:37 -0000, "Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> coming here is sort of like going to the grocery store.

> Take what is good, don't feel you have to take everything.
>
> Most people post here for entertainment, very few get paid to be here.

It would be interesting to how many of this groups posters are paid to do
the rubbish job. I'm certain the manufacturers lurk here and instruct to
counter bad publicity. It must be one of the cheapest ways to do it. What
occurs to me is why hasn't the Sony 828 been fully reveiwed, it was
announced on the 17th of December. If Sony had production problems it may
have paid them to tell the public why, instead of leaving it to speculation.
For example :- We are attempting to meet the challenge set buy Cannon and
are reviewing our manufacturing options and may out-source some areas of
manufacture. This will not reduce the quality of the camera etc, etc.
It unlikely to be a noisy chip as this should have shown its self in the
mock-up cameras early on. If it is it puts a very big question mark on
management.

On the other hand it could be that when Cannon came up with the Rebel/300d
they had to do some quick thinking to reduce manufacturing costs, who knows.
For me, it puts a big question mark on the 828. Note how the other cameras
with similar build profile are being off loaded to clear the decks for the
next generation of procumers cameras similar to the 828.

It does not end there Fuji have produced two new cameras which have a fair
amount of noise compared to the S2 Pro is this fair considering the
difference in chip size. But you may say aren't these new chips supposed to
be superior than the last generation? I would say yes but our expectations
have be raised by the promise of technological progression of doubling
quality/effectiveness and halving of costs this leads to shorter production
runs. This in turn will lead to a debilitating manufacturing war. Where the
consumers will win in the first stages but loss in the end as one
manufacturer survives.
Well that's my opinion.
MikeS

Clanger

I suppose its OK to top post when the topic is known.....saves plodding down
through

I still cant understand why people get so ****y about it

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XnUEb.7026$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:U1UEb.142750$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>
> > Has somebody stepped on the poor little boy's feelings?<

> You do a lot of top-posting, do you?...

Rob Davison

Clanger wrote:
> I suppose its OK to top post when the topic is known.....saves plodding down
> through
>
> I still cant understand why people get so ****y about it

Courtesy of Hugh Davies (apparently):

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm
http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/nquote.html
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
http://www.malibutelecom.fi/yucca/usenet/brox.html
http://www.planefacts.ndirect.co.uk/group/advice/
http://www.star-one.org.uk/computer/format.htm
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html
http://www.usenet.org.uk/usenet-information.html
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html

(I don't get ****y about it but some of those links make good points
and snipping and replying in context does seem more natural to me.)

YMMV but I find that almost all of the worthwhile ones in this and
every other group I subscribe to snip and interleave their replies.

> "Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XnUEb.7026$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:U1UEb.142750$(E-Mail Removed). rr.com...
>>

>>>Has somebody stepped on the poor little boy's feelings?<

>>You do a lot of top-posting, do you?...

Re: Original topic. I own a 707 and a 10D. I still use both.

Both cameras have their uses, their advantages and their disadvantages.
How these pan out for you depends on your circumstances and needs.
Nobody elses. Relax willya?

Rob.

Joseph Meehan

I see a number of people who feel that top posting is some sort of sin
against God. I suggest that you grow up. You are sounding like school boys
who mock those who are not part of their group.

There is no recognized authority which has declared top or bottom
posting as correct. For the most part I will guess most people don't even
make a conscious decision. They use what their mail reader used by default.

If there is any "authority" on the subject, it must be Microsoft, as
they are the biggest in the business, and they have chosen to use top
posting in their OE product.

Personally I believe the sender should choose, and they do. I believe
there are times when top posting is the most efficient and other times it is
not. I try to use whichever is best for conveying the message. Maybe you
should try that.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XnUEb.7026$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:U1UEb.142750$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>
> > Has somebody stepped on the poor little boy's feelings?<

> You do a lot of top-posting, do you?...

Ron Hunter

Tony Spadaro wrote:
> Has somebody stepped on the poor little boy's feelings?

Don't know. Look in the miror and see if you are crying.

Marc

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IWVEb.24698$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I see a number of people who feel that top posting is some sort of sin
> against God. I suggest that you grow up. You are sounding like school

boys
> who mock those who are not part of their group.
>
> There is no recognized authority which has declared top or bottom
> posting as correct. For the most part I will guess most people don't even
> make a conscious decision. They use what their mail reader used by

default.

> If there is any "authority" on the subject, it must be Microsoft, as
> they are the biggest in the business, and they have chosen to use top
> posting in their OE product.
>
> Personally I believe the sender should choose, and they do. I believe
> there are times when top posting is the most efficient and other times it

is
> not. I try to use whichever is best for conveying the message. Maybe you
> should try that.
>
> --
> Joseph E. Meehan<<

I suppose that there are those who also think that driving on the 'correct'
side of the road is also a heinous 'sin' - so that don't do that,
either....(especially after a few drinks)

Similarly, there are those who have abandoned paragraphs, spelling and
punctuation - presumably in the misguided belief that their idiosyncratic
offerings indicate individuality, rather than illiteracy.

It's all about a common standard - based upon the most sensible and logical
way of doing things.

Even in Ireland, it's rare to see a donkey sitting comfortably in the cart
while its owner sweats between the shafts...........