Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 3.2 mp Camera's

3.2 mp Camera's

JK

J wrote:

> I have a canon S230...I think it's an Ixus II....I'm not sure.
> but it's a wonderful camera. Compact...I can keep it in my pockets easily.

Shirt pocket sized cameras have small lenses that don't let much light through.
They are not good for taking photos indoors with existing light without using
a tripod.

> Takes great pictures...granted...not as advanced manual features as the A70
> or A80...but it's MUCH smaller which was something necessary for me.
> depends on your necessities!
> list some and maybe others can help you more.
> -J
>
> "Tom" <stuck@home> wrote in message news:3fe3cd7d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all, trying to decide on a 3.2 ish digi cam. I see alot of camers that
> > appear to have similar specs and price, can anyone recommend one of the
> > following?
> > Olympus C350
> > Olympus mju300
> > Canon A70
> > Canon ixus II
> >
> > Another question, do I need the 4 mp over the 3.2?
> > tom

fake name

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Samuel C.) wrote:

[snip]
> ... i suggest you go to
> store and look at those cameras for a while.. spend a few hours
> playing with them there and decide and think which is best for that
> day then do more research online and keep coming back. I must said i
> spent 6 months researching on cameras and i decided this and i'm sure
> glad i did get this.

6 months??? boy, you have a lot of time on your hands! if I were buying
a house I would probably invest so much time, other wise 1 month for a
car, 1 week for a camera, and 15 min for a one night stand (last one is
pure fantasy)

Stefan Patric

On Friday 19 December 2003 21:34, Tom wrote:

> "Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On Friday 19 December 2003 20:14, Tom wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all, trying to decide on a 3.2 ish digi cam. I see alot of
>> > camers that appear to have similar specs and price, can anyone
>> > recommend one of the following?
>> > Olympus C350
>> > Olympus mju300
>> > Canon A70
>> > Canon ixus II

>> I rejected all those. The Olympus C3030 better fulfilled my needs
>> for a
>> 3+- MP camera. Got it off eBay with manual and accessories for
>> around
>> $250. Mint condition.
>>
>> > Another question, do I need the 4 mp over the 3.2?

>> Depends on your requirements.
>>

> Thanks for your comment, out of interest I compared the C3030 with the
> A70 at dpreview and they appeared to be very similar spec cameras, but
> the A70 had a better review, what made you buy this camera over the
> others and inparticular the A70?

The C-3030 was the only camera that satisfied most of my requirements.

The ONE thing that eliminated most all other digital cameras was the
lack of a PC flash socket (or hot shoe). I also needed a lens that was
more wide angle than telephoto, which is exactly opposite of most
higher end consumer digitals. The 3030's 32 to 96 35mm equivalent zoom
wasn't the exact range I was looking for, but it was close enough. And
the constant aperture regardless of focal length was an absolute
necessity. I was going to be using the camera in manual exposure mode
mostly with portable, non-dedicated, off-camera or studio flash. I
needed that constant aperture setting.

And, of course, there was the price. I did find other cameras that were
as good or even more qualified, but for 3 times (or more) the money?
No way. Not cost effective. (This was a business purchase, so cost
effectiveness had to be a consideration.)

I would have really preferred a 4+ megapixel one to provide a little
leeway for cropping, etc. In fact, that's where I started my search,
but none satisfied my requirements as well as the 3030.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

like I said...it depends on what Tom is looking for.
If he's not taking many night pictures but wants a small camera or if he
doesn't mind using the flash indoors...great!
if we wants to take night pictures of people indoors while they're moving
without using the flash...not so great.
etc..etc...
-J

"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> J wrote:
>
> > I have a canon S230...I think it's an Ixus II....I'm not sure.
> > but it's a wonderful camera. Compact...I can keep it in my pockets

easily.

> Shirt pocket sized cameras have small lenses that don't let much light

through.
> They are not good for taking photos indoors with existing light without

using
> a tripod.
>

> > Takes great pictures...granted...not as advanced manual features as the

A70
> > or A80...but it's MUCH smaller which was something necessary for me.
> > depends on your necessities!
> > list some and maybe others can help you more.
> > -J
> >
> > "Tom" <stuck@home> wrote in message news:3fe3cd7d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi all, trying to decide on a 3.2 ish digi cam. I see alot of camers

that
> > > appear to have similar specs and price, can anyone recommend one of

the
> > > following?
> > > Olympus C350
> > > Olympus mju300
> > > Canon A70
> > > Canon ixus II
> > >
> > > Another question, do I need the 4 mp over the 3.2?
> > > tom

Tom

"Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Thanks, very interesting.

Tom

Tom

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dQ3Fb.45023$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have a canon S230...I think it's an Ixus II....I'm not sure.
> but it's a wonderful camera. Compact...I can keep it in my pockets

easily.
> Takes great pictures...granted...not as advanced manual features as the

A70
> or A80...but it's MUCH smaller which was something necessary for me.
> depends on your necessities!
> list some and maybe others can help you more.
> -J

Main points were, I wanted AA batteries, compact flash ( as I have spares
for my older camera, min 3x optical zoom, more controls than point and
shoot, and something that could go in a water housing ( although this was
very low on the list ).

Top of the list of coarse was that I want to be able to get reasonable
prints.

Have been using a 1.3 mp for the past 2 years, it takes good outdoor shots
but crappy over exposed indoor shots, and have been using it in the surf
with a water bag.

I am overdue to move up a couple of MP's

Tom

ratt

>I rejected all those. The Olympus C3030 better fulfilled my needs for a
>3+- MP camera.

This camera has pathetic macro capability (they should be ashamed to
it macro!). Even the normal focus range is terrible. ISO does not go
lower than 100 (not even AUTO!). I could go on. There are much better
cameras than this for the $

Dave Martindale

JK <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Shirt pocket sized cameras have small lenses that don't let much light through.
>They are not good for taking photos indoors with existing light without using
>a tripod.

What do you mean by "small"? For example, the Canon SD10 has a f/2.8
fixed focal length lens, while the SD100 and S400 have a f/2.8 zoom (at
the WA end). This is the same as most of the larger non-shirt-pocket
digital cameras, until you get to higher-end cameras like the G3/G5
which are f/2.

Now, if you really want to do indoor available-light photos handheld,
you should have a SLR, which allows even faster lenses (e.g. f/1.4) and
also has a sensor that is several stops more sensitive to light. But
that's not an issue of shirt-pocket vs. larger camera, it's one of SLR
vs. non-SLR.

Dave

Bill Anderson

Fuji Finepix S5000 blows the rest out of the water.

It has 10X optical zoom. All these other cameras combines their optical zoom
with digital zoom to come out with an overall zoom and it is misleading.
Even the Fuji Finepix S5000 does this (claims 22x - 10X optical and 2.2
digital), but it does have a real 10X optical lens and SLR. There isn't a
better camera for the price IMO. The only drawback to this camera is it's
size (not as compact as say a Canon A70), but at the same time it is one of
it's assets because it has a nice grippy ruberized feel to it.

I have played with a Canon A70 that a friend bought recently and the Fuji
S5000 that another friend bought. I was really considering the Canon A70
because it's so popular and all the great reviews until I played with the
Fuji, which I had never heard of. After playing with both, I am going with
the Fuji S5000.

"Tom" <stuck@home> wrote in message news:3fe3cd7d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, trying to decide on a 3.2 ish digi cam. I see alot of camers that
> appear to have similar specs and price, can anyone recommend one of the
> following?
> Olympus C350
> Olympus mju300
> Canon A70
> Canon ixus II
>
> Another question, do I need the 4 mp over the 3.2?
> tom

Stefan Patric

On Sunday 21 December 2003 07:35, ratt wrote:

>>I rejected all those. The Olympus C3030 better fulfilled my needs for
>>a 3+- MP camera.

> This camera has pathetic macro capability (they should be ashamed to
> it macro!). Even the normal focus range is terrible. ISO does not go
> lower than 100 (not even AUTO!). I could go on. There are much better
> cameras than this for the $

Macro capability, pathetic or otherwise, was not even on my list of
requirements. Didn't need it, and I'll probably never use it.

The normal focus range, 31" to infinity, is more than satisfactory for
my needs. Couple it with the "macro" range of 8" to 31", and I've got
more focusing range than I'll ever use.

Why would you want to have a slower equivalent ISO? CCDs are not like
film. Lower light sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean less noise
("grain") or higher image resolution.

Why not go on? What better cameras can you buy for $250 US, Mint
condition? I wasn't able to find any; otherwise, I would have bought
one and not the 3030.

Here were my major, "must have" requirements:

3 MP CCD minimum
Flash sync connector or hot shoe
Constant, unchanging f-stop across entire zoom range
Full Manual Mode
TIFF, RAW or other non-lossy saves
Non-proprietary battery (prefer AA type)
Tripod socket
Ability to take an external flash bracket
Flash sync at all speeds (for ease of daylight fill-flash)
Preferred zoom range (optical) 28 to 100 (35mm equivalent)
Budget -- $300 US or less

That next to last requirement was not a "must have", but I wanted
something close. I got 32 to 96. Close enough for government work.

There were other requirements, but they were mainly cosmetic or
asthetic, and unimportant as far as this exercise is concerned.

So, giving the above requirements, what camera(s) would you recommend?

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group