Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak 6490 - Operating Temperatures

Kodak 6490 - Operating Temperatures

bd@ola.moc

Does anyone know the safe operating temperatures for this camera? I'm
particularly interested in cold winter temps. Also, if I do bring it
out in cold weather, any tips for bringing it back indoors? I read
somewhere about putting it in a plastic bag to avoid condensation.

TIA

Harvey

Kodak does not seem to say although a good guess is full specifications down
to 0 degrees C. It probably will work down to -20 degrees C, although the
LCDs may start to get sluggish. The camera may not operate but you are
unlikely to cause any damage by trying to operate it at any temperatures you
yourself can withstand. When you bring it inside you might find that water
condenses on the lens. The plastic bag might help but will slow the warm-up
to room temperature as the air inside the bag acts as an insulator.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know the safe operating temperatures for this camera? I'm
> particularly interested in cold winter temps. Also, if I do bring it
> out in cold weather, any tips for bringing it back indoors? I read
> somewhere about putting it in a plastic bag to avoid condensation.
>
> TIA

Ron Hunter

> Does anyone know the safe operating temperatures for this camera? I'm
> particularly interested in cold winter temps. Also, if I do bring it
> out in cold weather, any tips for bringing it back indoors? I read
> somewhere about putting it in a plastic bag to avoid condensation.
>
> TIA

Cold weather operation is a problem, mostly from a battery standpoint.
The image sensor will actually work better in cold weather, but the
batteries, being chemical systems will suffer somewhat. Condensation is
definitely a problem when rapid changes of temperature are experienced.
Letting the camera readjust to the temperature and the condensation
on the lens evaporate is a must.

Other than loss of some battery performance due to the cold, and the
condensation problem, you should have no problem using the camera in any
conditions your body can tolerate.

Paige Miller

On Stardate 12/19/2003 10:05 PM, the following keys were mysteriously
typed at (E-Mail Removed)'s keyboard...

> Does anyone know the safe operating temperatures for this camera? I'm
> particularly interested in cold winter temps. Also, if I do bring it
> out in cold weather, any tips for bringing it back indoors? I read
> somewhere about putting it in a plastic bag to avoid condensation.
>
> TIA

I have taken about 10 pictures in a 5 minute span entirely below 0C.
The camera was kept warm in my car until after I had the tripod set up
properly. I detected no difference in image quality compared to pictures
taken at warmer temps, nor did I find there was a noticeable slowdown of
the camera mechanisms.

--
Paige Miller
pmiller5 at rochester dot rr dot com

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack