Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need Help Band Pictures Olympus C- 3020

Need Help Band Pictures Olympus C- 3020

Joni

I need to take pictures of musicians in a band. This is indoor at
night, in bars, with several difference low light sources, coming from
different directions. I have tried turning off the flash and fixing
with photo editing and that part is ok.

My problem seems that the lens is open to long and I get lots of
blurred pictures. I have tried steadying on a chair or table, but most
pictures are taken with dancers around me, so I have to be able to
move quickly. I also need to be able to move about and take individual
shots of the players.

I have read & re-read my instruction booklet and cannot find the right
settings for this.

Grateful for any help or comments.
Joni
Indianapolis, IN

Mike

1600-speed film

or 3200-speed B&W film

Joni wrote:
> I need to take pictures of musicians in a band. This is indoor at
> night, in bars, with several difference low light sources, coming from
> different directions. I have tried turning off the flash and fixing
> with photo editing and that part is ok.
>
> My problem seems that the lens is open to long and I get lots of
> blurred pictures. I have tried steadying on a chair or table, but most
> pictures are taken with dancers around me, so I have to be able to
> move quickly. I also need to be able to move about and take individual
> shots of the players.
>
> I have read & re-read my instruction booklet and cannot find the right
> settings for this.
>
> Grateful for any help or comments.
> Joni
> Indianapolis, IN

Fred McKenzie

<< My problem seems that the lens is open to long and I get lots of
blurred pictures. I have tried steadying on a chair or table, but most
pictures are taken with dancers around me, so I have to be able to
move quickly. I also need to be able to move about and take individual
shots of the players. >>

Joni-

I have the C-3040Z, which has an external flash connector on the side. I use
the Olympus flash bracket and handle, with the Olympus FL-40 flash. With a
more powerful flash located further from the lens axis, I can light a larger
area and have a bit less trouble with red-eye. While I may not have any
experience in your environment, some of my band shots have been OK, at least as
far as exposure is concerned.

For non-flash shots, try forcing the ISO rating to a higher value. However,
slow shutter speeds and resulting blur are to be expected in low light. You
might try using the effect creatively.

I wonder if you aren't just being too critical of your results? Many pros get
good results from only a fraction of their shots. If you continue trying
different ideas, your percentage of good shots should increase, but not likely
to 100%. Digital film is cheap!

Fred

Marvin Margoshes

"Joni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I need to take pictures of musicians in a band. This is indoor at
> night, in bars, with several difference low light sources, coming from
> different directions. I have tried turning off the flash and fixing
> with photo editing and that part is ok.
>
> My problem seems that the lens is open to long and I get lots of
> blurred pictures. I have tried steadying on a chair or table, but most
> pictures are taken with dancers around me, so I have to be able to
> move quickly. I also need to be able to move about and take individual
> shots of the players.
>
> I have read & re-read my instruction booklet and cannot find the right
> settings for this.
>
> Grateful for any help or comments.
> Joni
> Indianapolis, IN

A tripod seems not to be possible if you are standing in with dancers,
unless you can get them to cooperate. A monopod might work. I've taken
some OK low-light pictures with the help of a monopod.

Jimmy

Cute!

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3fe33563$0$9097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1600-speed film
>
> or 3200-speed B&W film

jpc

On 19 Dec 2003 08:57:15 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Joni) wrote:

>I need to take pictures of musicians in a band. This is indoor at
>night, in bars, with several difference low light sources, coming from
>different directions. I have tried turning off the flash and fixing
>with photo editing and that part is ok.
>
>My problem seems that the lens is open to long and I get lots of
>blurred pictures. I have tried steadying on a chair or table, but most
>pictures are taken with dancers around me, so I have to be able to
>move quickly. I also need to be able to move about and take individual
>shots of the players.

I have 3020 and these are my settings for low light bar and band
pictures

ISO 400
Manual mode
aperture 2.8
shutter speed as slow as I can get away with and not have totally
unexceptable blurring
Sometimes I also set the focus manually to about 2/3 the distance from
where I am to the stage. Since the depth of field of the 3020 is very
good and at these light levels I'm not going to take super sharp
pictures anyway this cuts the shutter lag to almost nothing and avoids
the problems of autofocusing at very low light levels.

Usually I end up with some very dark pictures that I have to fix with
photoediting by expanding the levels, adjusting the brightness and
contrast, and using some noise reduction techniques. Then I usally
convert them to black and white before printing.

hope this helps

jpc

Thomas Garner

Joni wrote:

>I need to take pictures of musicians in a band. This is indoor at
>night, in bars, with several difference low light sources, coming from
>different directions. I have tried turning off the flash and fixing
>with photo editing and that part is ok.
>
>My problem seems that the lens is open to long and I get lots of
>blurred pictures. I have tried steadying on a chair or table, but most
>pictures are taken with dancers around me, so I have to be able to
>move quickly. I also need to be able to move about and take individual
>shots of the players.
>
>I have read & re-read my instruction booklet and cannot find the right
>settings for this.
>
>Grateful for any help or comments.
>Joni
>Indianapolis, IN

I was trying to do band shots with my old Toshiba PDR-M4. It didn't have
any controls whatsoever.Generally unacceptable shots IMHO. In September
I purchased a Canon Digital Rebel. Since then I have been able to get
some fantastic shots.

Manual camera settings.
ISO 1600
f/2-f/4
1/50-1/80 shutter
EF 50mm 1.8 lens

This has been by far the most difficult of situations for me to shoot
in. Low light calls for high ISO which in turn gives noisy images. It
also calls for wide open or near wide open lens aperature which lowers
the sharpness of the lens and puts the depth of field at near 6 inches
if I'm lucky. Any slower than 1/60 shutter speed and you get motion
blur. I have found a tripod impossible to use and a monopod useable, but
very limiting as I'm then fussing with the monopod for different angles.
If light is extremely limited I've even had to focus manually.
Check out what I've gotten so far.
http://home.comcast.net/~thomasgarner2/
<http://home.comcast.net/%7Ethomasgarner2/>
Tom

JK

You need a camera with better low light capabilities. A Digital Rebel
using the 1600 ISO mode with a 50mm f1.8 lens would be good for
shooting in low light.

Joni wrote:

> I need to take pictures of musicians in a band. This is indoor at
> night, in bars, with several difference low light sources, coming from
> different directions. I have tried turning off the flash and fixing
> with photo editing and that part is ok.
>
> My problem seems that the lens is open to long and I get lots of
> blurred pictures. I have tried steadying on a chair or table, but most
> pictures are taken with dancers around me, so I have to be able to
> move quickly. I also need to be able to move about and take individual
> shots of the players.
>
> I have read & re-read my instruction booklet and cannot find the right
> settings for this.
>
> Grateful for any help or comments.
> Joni
> Indianapolis, IN

VT

On 19 Dec 2003 08:57:15 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Joni) wrote:

>I need to take pictures of musicians in a band. This is indoor at
>night, in bars, with several difference low light sources, coming from
>different directions. I have tried turning off the flash and fixing
>with photo editing and that part is ok.

The main problem is the varying lighting levels - more importantly the
low light.

I'm assuming you don't particularly want to buy a whole new camera to
do this......many have already given good advice.

I do a lot of this stuff, initially I used a simple Canon S100 Digital
ELPH (hardly any manual control/overrides) for over 3 years, and now
with a Canon A70 (more versatile - but nothing that makes it better
for this kind of photography over your digicam)

(0) Camera Settings -
If your camera has aperture priority - use that and set the lens to
maximum aperture (f/2.8?) and set the highest acceptable quality ISO
(ISO400?) the camera will then select the highest available shutter
speed for the situation.......

(1) Steady Camera hold -

Simply because of mobility often a tripod or even monopod are just not
practical - so one has to learn to to hold the camera very still
including follow-through (ie: until one is certain the shutter has
finally completely closed).

This means the popular "cool" arms length hold pre-viewing via the LCD
or even worse the "one hand" hold - are OUT.

I use the optical eye-level viewfinder EXCLUSIVELY to take advantage
of the third point of support of the camera pressed against my face.

Then look for any support - like ther stage, monitor speakers etc and
brace the elbows to form one's own "tripod" - if those are not
avialable anything that helps support the body.

This helps minimize camera movement......BUT

(2) Subject Movement -
musicans move and the best shots are often are animated - so there
will often be some blur. Freezing the moment might be OK - you can do
this with Flash if you're close enough - but that loses a lot of the
stage "atmosphere". Some blur actually can make great photos since
the photo is no longer static/frozen looking. One technique that I
had a lot of success with is using "Slow-Sync" or "Night Portrait"
Flash - which freezes an image of the closer subject but keeps the
shutter open to expose for the background/stage. It is safer to use
the steady camera hold - but sometimes when support is not available
some camera movement may actually yield good results - like panning
the subject (that is keep following the motion of the subject - so
parts are sharp while brightly lit parts are blurred).

(3) Blurred Pictures - more camera settings
Hopefully the above will yeild higher percentage of sharper pictures -
but if you really don't like the blurred effect (I love them, but I
understand if YMMV) - try using Shutter Priority - set the shutter
speed to the lowest you feel comfortable/confident in holding - try
1/4sec and faster like 1/8, 1/15, 1/30....etc - and see if the images
are less blurred - they may be UNDERexposed - but one may be able to
help these by post-processing - by increasing brightness/contrast.

Or simply get closer and resort to normal Flash - but I feel the
images then are too static and don't really convey the dynamics of the
scene.

Here are some shots using above techniques (mostly Canon A70 - AutoISO
= probably ISO50 - slow sync flash)

Blind Boys of Alabama:
http://blindboys.com/pictures/
top row of photos (Canon S100)

The Motet
http://www.themotet.net/Oct_09_2003_Atlanta.htm

Skeric (Les Claypool's Frog Brigade, Garage-A-Trois with Charlie
Hunter and Stanton Moore)
http://skerik.org/gallery/jake1115

Greyhounds (East Texas Funk & Soul)
http://greyhoundsmusic.com/atlanta%20pics.htm

Captain Soular Cat
http://www.brefrow.com/Soularcat/radio/

Hope this helps a little
--
Vincent
remove CLOTHES for e-mail

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

Mark Johnson

(E-Mail Removed) (Joni) wrote:

>I need to take pictures of musicians in a band. This is indoor at
>night, in bars, with several difference low light sources, coming from
>different directions. I have tried turning off the flash and fixing
>with photo editing and that part is ok.

Went to a recent concert with a C4040 I'd had for just a day. Went
with flash, ISO 200, s800 and f2.6, so it reads on the exif. And it
came out great. Not much noise at all. The shot was probably 30 feet
away at that, and the performers lit only by the spot and stage
lights. Otherwise, it was dark in the arena.