Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New help selecting my first digital camera

New help selecting my first digital camera

Fatbob

My wife and I finally decided to take the plunge into the digital world. For
a few weeks now we settled on a budget of $450 CND, and at that price the
Canon A70 seemed best to us. But is it? I'm also looking at the Minolta
S414, which is exactly the same price but is 4mp and 4x zoom.

Which camera would you guys recommend we go with for $450 CND? A70 or S414,
or other?

Anthony Buckland

Fatbob wrote:

>My wife and I finally decided to take the plunge into the digital world. For
>a few weeks now we settled on a budget of $450 CND, and at that price the
>Canon A70 seemed best to us. But is it? I'm also looking at the Minolta
>S414, which is exactly the same price but is 4mp and 4x zoom.
>
>Which camera would you guys recommend we go with for $450 CND? A70 or S414,
>or other?

I came quite close to the same decision, but think I'm going to go for
the A80
at, currently in the stores, CAD 130 more. Haven't a clue about the
Minolta,
though.

NJH

"Fatbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wIFEb.11161$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife and I finally decided to take the plunge into the digital world.

For
> a few weeks now we settled on a budget of $450 CND, and at that price the
> Canon A70 seemed best to us. But is it? I'm also looking at the Minolta
> S414, which is exactly the same price but is 4mp and 4x zoom.
>
> Which camera would you guys recommend we go with for $450 CND? A70 or

S414,
> or other?

Dunno anything about the Canon, but I have the Minolta DiMAGE S414 and it's
great. It's probably the best bang for the buck you'll find in that type and
size of camera.

Neil

stan@temple.edu

NJH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dunno anything about the Canon, but I have the Minolta DiMAGE S414 and it's
> great. It's probably the best bang for the buck you'll find in that type and
> size of camera.

I agree. Consumer Reports also gave the DiMAGE S414 a great review recently.
Until a couple of months ago when I upgraded to a Digital Rebel, I had a S414
and I was very happy with it. I sold the S414 to a friend who is happy with it.