Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How Can I Change Dates in NEF Files?

How Can I Change Dates in NEF Files?

Brian S. Schang

Hello:

I just noticed that I took about 100 pictures with my Nikon D100 with the clock
set incorrectly. Somehow I entered the year as 2002 rather than 2003. Therefore
all of my EXIF dates are off by exactly one year.

Is there any way to change the EXIF date in the NEF file? I would be thrilled
if I could somehow select a set of files and update the year to 2003 and leave
everything else as is (batch update). However, I'd be willing to edit all files
by hand (100 in total) if this is the only way.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how best to do this?

Thanks.

Brian Schang

Cooter

It can be done with an editor capable of opening a file in HEX mode. I have
used UltraEdit to do what you are asking about. They have a trial version
available that should allow you to fix your 100 pictures before the trial
time runs out.

"Brian S. Schang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jXDEb.3096$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Hello:
>
> I just noticed that I took about 100 pictures with my Nikon D100 with the

clock
> set incorrectly. Somehow I entered the year as 2002 rather than 2003.

Therefore
> all of my EXIF dates are off by exactly one year.
>
> Is there any way to change the EXIF date in the NEF file? I would be

thrilled
> if I could somehow select a set of files and update the year to 2003 and

leave
> everything else as is (batch update). However, I'd be willing to edit all

files
> by hand (100 in total) if this is the only way.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions on how best to do this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brian Schang

Cooter

I posted a reply yesterday but it doesn't seem to have made it to the NG. To
answer your question, you can use a HEX editor such as UltraEdit or WinHEX
to change the date and a few other details. I have done this with UltraEdit
with no problems. Open the file in HEX mode and page down until you find the
date. If I remember correctly, it will be in the form YYYY.MM.DD followed by
the time in a similar format. It will be in ASCII (readable), so just
highlight and change the character(s) you need to. Also, from memory, I
think the date appears in two places, but I don't remember whether you have
to change both or just the first. You can get an evaluation copy of
UltraEdit that should last long enough to do 100 pix.

"Brian S. Schang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jXDEb.3096$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Hello:
>
> I just noticed that I took about 100 pictures with my Nikon D100 with the

clock
> set incorrectly. Somehow I entered the year as 2002 rather than 2003.

Therefore
> all of my EXIF dates are off by exactly one year.
>
> Is there any way to change the EXIF date in the NEF file? I would be

thrilled
> if I could somehow select a set of files and update the year to 2003 and

leave
> everything else as is (batch update). However, I'd be willing to edit all

files
> by hand (100 in total) if this is the only way.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions on how best to do this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brian Schang

Brian S. Schang

"Cooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I posted a reply yesterday but it doesn't seem to have made it to the NG. To
>answer your question, you can use a HEX editor such as UltraEdit or WinHEX
>to change the date and a few other details. I have done this with UltraEdit
>with no problems. Open the file in HEX mode and page down until you find the
>date. If I remember correctly, it will be in the form YYYY.MM.DD followed by
>the time in a similar format. It will be in ASCII (readable), so just
>highlight and change the character(s) you need to. Also, from memory, I
>think the date appears in two places, but I don't remember whether you have
>to change both or just the first. You can get an evaluation copy of
>UltraEdit that should last long enough to do 100 pix.

Got it, thanks a lot!

Actually I am a registered user of UltraEdit, so your recommendation was
perfect. UltraEdit has a "Replace in Files" command which allows for a very
simplistic version of batching. I was able to fix my 100-or-so files in about
20 minutes.

Thanks a ton for the recommendation. Now my pictures are correctly sorted!

Brian Schang