Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 2 1/4 slides to digital

2 1/4 slides to digital

Dryb66

With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably economical
equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
- not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
Thanks.

Rafe B.

On 19 Dec 2003 01:35:40 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Dryb66) wrote:

>With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably economical
>equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
>- not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
>Thanks.
>(E-Mail Removed)

Check out the newest Epson flatbed scanners
with transparency adapters.

Of if you've got more $ to throw at it, check out
the LS-8000 or LS-9000 from Nikon.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Jim Waggener

"Dryb66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably

economical
> equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it

myself
> - not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
> Thanks.
> (E-Mail Removed)

For about $300 a Epson 3200 flatbed scanner....adequate
For about $1500 a Nikon LS 8000...superior

Mark Herring

On 19 Dec 2003 01:35:40 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Dryb66) wrote:

>With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably economical
>equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
>- not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
>Thanks.
>(E-Mail Removed)

Watch out for dynamic range on the flatbeds. Many are in the high
3's, whereas the good film scanners are mid to high 4's. Normally,
chromes need high dynamic range.

In the LA area, the Nikon 8000 rents for $100 per day. This is the
route I will take for a bunch of my stuff
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Mark Herring

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:55:17 -0500, "Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Dryb66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably

>economical
>> equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it

>myself
>> - not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
>> Thanks.
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>For about $300 a Epson 3200 flatbed scanner....adequate
>For about $1500 a Nikon LS 8000...superior

Ummmmmmm---shopper.cnet.com: Prices from 1800 to 2700

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Robert Feinman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dryb66
@aol.com says...
> With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably economical
> equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
> - not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
> Thanks.
> (E-Mail Removed)

The Epson 3200 has been the favorite choice recently, it is being
replaced by the 4870 over the next few months. I would hold out for
the new model.
Resolution of the 3200 is more like 1800dpi which will give about
6x enlargement for an inkjet print. There are no comparisons between
the 3200 and the new model yet, but it is supposed to be better.

--
Robert D Feinman
(E-Mail Removed)

RogM

On 19 Dec 2003 01:35:40 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Dryb66) wrote:

>With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably economical
>equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
>- not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
>Thanks.
>(E-Mail Removed)

Minolta Dimage Multi-Format scanners can usually be found for around
$300 (refurb's).

Tom Nelson

There's pixels and then there's pixels. In my experience, any dedicated
film scanner will give a significantly sharper, more detailed image
than any flatbed, even at the same pixel size. How big a print do you
want to make, and what quality?

On 19 Dec 2003 01:35:40 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Dryb66) wrote:

>With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably

economical
>equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do

it myself
>- not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
>Thanks.

Tom Nelson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, RogM
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Minolta Dimage Multi-Format scanners can usually be found for around
> $300 (refurb's).

It's dual format all right: 35mm and APS. Have you looked at the Nikon
Super Coolscan 4000? About $1100.

Ed Fortmiller

> The Epson 3200 has been the favorite choice recently, it is being
> replaced by the 4870 over the next few months. I would hold out for
> the new model.

And the 4870 has Digital Ice so it would probably be worth the wait.

http://www.epson.com.au/products/cor...ction4870P.asp

--
Ed Fortmiller | (E-Mail Removed) | Hudson MA
*