Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bit depth on Digital Cameras?

Bit depth on Digital Cameras?

LLutton

Do any of the cameras put out images of 16 bits per channel in RAW Mode? I'm
going to upgrade to Photoshop CS after the first of the year and would consider
buying a new camera if any put out 16 bits. I scan slides at 16 bits, but with
CS, it would be nice if my camera images could be 16 bit also.

The manufacturers don't advertise this so I assume the depth is something less
than 16.

Thanks,
Lynn

Robertwgross

Lynn wrote:
>Do any of the cameras put out images of 16 bits per channel in RAW Mode? I'm
>going to upgrade to Photoshop CS after the first of the year and would
>consider
>buying a new camera if any put out 16 bits. I scan slides at 16 bits, but
>with
>CS, it would be nice if my camera images could be 16 bit also.
>
>The manufacturers don't advertise this so I assume the depth is something
>less
>than 16.

The typical good digital cameras today (prosumer and pro) capture RAW images in
a 12-bit (per channel) depth, and you can convert and save those as 8-bit (per
channel) TIF or 16-bit (per channel) TIF, or else JPEG and other lossy formats.

---Bob Gross---

DJ

The most I've seen is 14 bits, in the new Sony whatchamacallit. My 300D is 12
bits. I'm not sure 16 bits would make sense with the noise levels of current
generation sensors, the extra bits would be down in the noise. Maybe with a full
frame 645 or 6x9?

dj

On 18 Dec 2003 21:01:17 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (LLutton) wrote:

>Do any of the cameras put out images of 16 bits per channel in RAW Mode? I'm
>going to upgrade to Photoshop CS after the first of the year and would consider
>buying a new camera if any put out 16 bits. I scan slides at 16 bits, but with
>CS, it would be nice if my camera images could be 16 bit also.
>
>The manufacturers don't advertise this so I assume the depth is something less
>than 16.
>
>Thanks,
>Lynn

Rick

"LLutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do any of the cameras put out images of 16 bits per channel in RAW Mode? I'm
> going to upgrade to Photoshop CS after the first of the year and would consider
> buying a new camera if any put out 16 bits. I scan slides at 16 bits, but with
> CS, it would be nice if my camera images could be 16 bit also.
>
> The manufacturers don't advertise this so I assume the depth is something less
> than 16.

The highest bit depth I know of in a consumer grade digital
still camera is 14-bits (Sony F7x7, F82, but color and image
quality has little to do with raw bit depth, e.g. a Canon G-series
with its 12-bit color gives _much_ more pleasing images straight
out of the camera.

Rick

LLutton

Thanks for your answers.
Lynn

>Do any of the cameras put out images of 16 bits per channel in RAW Mode? I'm
>going to upgrade to Photoshop CS after the first of the year and would
>consider
>buying a new camera if any put out 16 bits. I scan slides at 16 bits, but
>with
>CS, it would be nice if my camera images could be 16 bit also.
>
>The manufacturers don't advertise this so I assume the depth is something
>less
>than 16.
>
>Thanks,
>Lynn

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
DJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The most I've seen is 14 bits, in the new Sony whatchamacallit. My 300D is 12
>bits. I'm not sure 16 bits would make sense with the noise levels of current
>generation sensors, the extra bits would be down in the noise. Maybe with a full
>frame 645 or 6x9?

More bits could be useful in the 10D/300D at ISO 100. If you severely
under-expose at ISO 100, and boost in software, it is obvious that
posterization plays a bigger role in poor image quality than other
sources of noise, as compared to using a higher ISO.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>