Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Quotes from digital giants (#5)

Quotes from digital giants (#5)

George Preddy

"I know of one bayer pattern reconstruction algorithm from a well known
digital camera company that requires 120 multiplications to calculate
a single pixel value! Because of all the complex guesswork associated with
making up 2/3 of the color values for each output pixel. The 3x3 color
matrix operation [of the Foveon Pro 10M] which converts sensed
color to output color requires 9 multiplications, and is required for any
type of sensor. "

--quote from Dick Merrill, Chief Scientist, Foveon

Betty Swallocks

ask him about the phrase 'approaching medium format quality' and where is
the evidence and details from their independent tests ?

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brsaje$60c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "I know of one bayer pattern reconstruction algorithm from a well known
> digital camera company that requires 120 multiplications to calculate
> a single pixel value! Because of all the complex guesswork associated

with
> making up 2/3 of the color values for each output pixel. The 3x3 color
> matrix operation [of the Foveon Pro 10M] which converts sensed
> color to output color requires 9 multiplications, and is required for any
> type of sensor. "
>
> --quote from Dick Merrill, Chief Scientist, Foveon

Tony Spadaro

Quoting the propaganda of Foveon Inc is not going to gain you any converts
there Bunkey. Those of us who live in the real world have seen teh pictures
and decided we don't need no steenkin Sigmas with or without no steenkin
foveon cheep.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brsaje$60c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "I know of one bayer pattern reconstruction algorithm from a well known
> digital camera company that requires 120 multiplications to calculate
> a single pixel value! Because of all the complex guesswork associated

with
> making up 2/3 of the color values for each output pixel. The 3x3 color
> matrix operation [of the Foveon Pro 10M] which converts sensed
> color to output color requires 9 multiplications, and is required for any
> type of sensor. "
>
> --quote from Dick Merrill, Chief Scientist, Foveon

George Preddy

"Betty Swallocks" <bettytrailertrash&(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brsmik$m3k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ask him about the phrase 'approaching medium format quality' and where is
> the evidence and details from their independent tests ?

Pro reporters who veiwed the wall-sized Foveon (Durst) photographs were the
ones who said the SD9 outputs 56mm color film equivalency.

Betty Swallocks

and who were these 'pro reporters' ? ...names please......

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brt85c$n2c$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Betty Swallocks" <bettytrailertrash&(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> news:brsmik$m3k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ask him about the phrase 'approaching medium format quality' and where

is
> > the evidence and details from their independent tests ?

> Pro reporters who veiwed the wall-sized Foveon (Durst) photographs were

the
> ones who said the SD9 outputs 56mm color film equivalency.

Alan D-W

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brsaje$60c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "I know of one bayer pattern reconstruction algorithm from a well known

God, you are so beginning to bore me.

Mark Herring

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:33:54 -0000, "Alan D-W" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:brsaje$60c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "I know of one bayer pattern reconstruction algorithm from a well known

>God, you are so beginning to bore me.

Just now????
I'm one of the ones who finds the whole thing amusing---it's like take
a random sample and see if George has manged to say something even
stupider than previously. So far, he succeeds
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

MikeWhy

"Betty Swallocks" <bettytrailertrash&(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brsmik$m3k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ask him about the phrase 'approaching medium format quality' and where is
> the evidence and details from their independent tests ?

All cameras are only just "'approaching medium format quality'". The
evidence is right there in front of you, everywhere you look. It wouldn't
become news until one actually "exceeds MF quality", and gets "wider
exposure latitude than negative film". I look forward to retiring the 4x5
camera I never got around to acquiring. Until then, it's just marketing
hype. For someone hell-bent on making his mark in this world, Mead sure set
his sights low.