Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Quotes from digital giants (#3/4)

Quotes from digital giants (#3/4)

George Preddy

"The more I learned about human vision, the more it was clear that what
these mosaic sensors were doing was introducing artifacts into the image. It
was one of those things that becomes so massively annoying that after a
while you think you ought to go do something about it. It was clear that the
way image sensors worked was brain-dead. I talked to a lot of people, and
nobody got it. So I finally said: 'That's not a problem. That's an
opportunity.'"

-- quote from Dr. Caver Mead, Founder, Foveon Inc.

"Nobody, ignores Carver Mead."

-- quote from Bill Gates, wishes he was Founder, Foveon Inc.

Steve Young

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> "Nobody, ignores Carver Mead."

but we're going to try ignoring pseudo science evangelist troll George Preddy,
right?

gsum

I take it that this is the Bill Gates of Micro$oft fame,
producers of Windoze, the worlds most overpriced bug
ridden software.

Some endorsement!

Thanks for providing plenty of laughs over the past
few months George.

Graham

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brsa6i$5pt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "The more I learned about human vision, the more it was clear that what
> these mosaic sensors were doing was introducing artifacts into the image.

It
> was one of those things that becomes so massively annoying that after a
> while you think you ought to go do something about it. It was clear that

the
> way image sensors worked was brain-dead. I talked to a lot of people, and
> nobody got it. So I finally said: 'That's not a problem. That's an
> opportunity.'"
>
> -- quote from Dr. Caver Mead, Founder, Foveon Inc.
>

> "Nobody, ignores Carver Mead."
>
> -- quote from Bill Gates, wishes he was Founder, Foveon Inc.

Jeff Zawrotny

"xxxxx xxxxxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brsa6i$5pt$(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]

> -- quote from Dr. Caver Mead, Founder, Foveon Inc.
>

> "Nobody, ignores Carver Mead."
>
> -- quote from Bill Gates, wishes he was Founder, Foveon Inc.

Seems like ol' Bill Gates is having some grammar problems these days.
Either that or he thinks Caver Mead [sic] is "Nobody" and is ignoring him.

Mon11

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<brsa6i$5pt$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "The more I learned about human vision, the more it was clear that what
> these mosaic sensors were doing was introducing artifacts into the image. It
> was one of those things that becomes so massively annoying that after a
> while you think you ought to go do something about it. It was clear that the
> way image sensors worked was brain-dead. I talked to a lot of people, and
> nobody got it. So I finally said: 'That's not a problem. That's an
> opportunity.'"
>
> -- quote from Dr. Caver Mead, Founder, Foveon Inc.
>

> "Nobody, ignores Carver Mead."
>
> -- quote from Bill Gates, wishes he was Founder, Foveon Inc.

Nobody ignores Ca"R"ver Mead according to Bill Gates, but as far as
"Caver Mead,"well...

Noel

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:14:38 +0900, "George Preddy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Nobody, ignores Carver Mead."
>
>-- quote from Bill Gates, wishes he was Founder, Foveon Inc.

But Steve, Bill Gates made that operating system you hate so much, the
one you claim relies on what you rather quaintly term 'spinning
memory'. Don't you see the irony there?

JPS@no.komm

In message <brsa6i$5pt$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"The more I learned about human vision, the more it was clear that what
>these mosaic sensors were doing was introducing artifacts into the image. It
>was one of those things that becomes so massively annoying that after a
>while you think you ought to go do something about it. It was clear that the
>way image sensors worked was brain-dead. I talked to a lot of people, and
>nobody got it. So I finally said: 'That's not a problem. That's an
>opportunity.'"

Sounds like he assumed that only horrible CFA demosaicing algorithms
would be used, like averaging the missing data with simple arithmetic.
A good algorithm should treat chroma and luminance separately, except
for getting clues from eachother, and then converting back to RGB for
editing and display.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

George Preddy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <brsa6i$5pt$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"The more I learned about human vision, the more it was clear that what
> >these mosaic sensors were doing was introducing artifacts into the image.

It
> >was one of those things that becomes so massively annoying that after a
> >while you think you ought to go do something about it. It was clear that

the
> >way image sensors worked was brain-dead. I talked to a lot of people, and
> >nobody got it. So I finally said: 'That's not a problem. That's an
> >opportunity.'"

> Sounds like he assumed that only horrible CFA demosaicing algorithms
> would be used,

I think that is fair to say. Since the concept of demosaicing is itself
optically horrible.