Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which digital Film?

Which digital Film?

Ben Theil

Hello again,

Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to buy
additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards, there are
tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I know my camera
will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive I am not really
interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand is better?

Thank you for any information and advice.

BT

john

Hi Ben

check out this link:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

gives you a good idea of how fast or slow the cards perform on different
cameras. so it does depend a little on which camera you are using.

cheers!
john

"Ben Theil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9454DAAC87244nonamenowherenet@68.168.78.12 ...
> Hello again,
>
> Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to buy
> additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards, there are
> tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I know my camera
> will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive I am not really
> interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand is better?
>
> Thank you for any information and advice.
>
> BT

y_p_w

"john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<brr4q6$sqd$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi Ben
>
> check out this link:
>
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
>
> gives you a good idea of how fast or slow the cards perform on different
> cameras. so it does depend a little on which camera you are using.

The big caveat would be the following question on the front page:

"How Can I Be Sure the Card I Buy is the Same One Tested in this Report?"

Some Compact Flash sellers just slap their labels on cards purchased as
commodity items. They may switch suppliers. However - the report
does seem to hint at some re-branders having stable suppliers.

Ron Hunter

Ben Theil wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to buy
> additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards, there are
> tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I know my camera
> will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive I am not really
> interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand is better?
>
> Thank you for any information and advice.
>
> BT

Type doesn't matter. Look for the size and speed you need. Faster
cards probably won't make much difference in the performance of your
camera, but will pay dividends when used in your card reader. The
'sweet spot' in size vs. cost is around 256 meg now, but you probably
wont' need that large a card unless you are buying something in the
Canon Digital Rebel category.

Ben Theil

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Ben Theil wrote:
>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to
>> buy additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards,
>> there are tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I
>> know my camera will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive
>> I am not really interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand
>> is better?
>>
>> Thank you for any information and advice.
>>

> Type doesn't matter. Look for the size and speed you need. Faster
> cards probably won't make much difference in the performance of your
> camera, but will pay dividends when used in your card reader. The
> 'sweet spot' in size vs. cost is around 256 meg now, but you probably
> wont' need that large a card unless you are buying something in the
> Canon Digital Rebel category.

Thank you for your repost and advice.

My older camera had 64 Type II from SanDisk? The 256MB and 512MB CF
cards are coming out in Type I. Reading a little about them, I find that
Type I cards are slimmer and are little bit more delicate. Do they make
256MB and 512MB CF cards in Type II model? Type II is more sturdier and
seems to be more modern/newer in CF technology.

Any advice.

BT

David J Taylor

> My older camera had 64 Type II from SanDisk? The 256MB and 512MB CF
> cards are coming out in Type I. Reading a little about them, I find

that
> Type I cards are slimmer and are little bit more delicate. Do they make
> 256MB and 512MB CF cards in Type II model? Type II is more sturdier and
> seems to be more modern/newer in CF technology.
>
> Any advice.
>
> BT

I have _never_ seen a thick CF card - i.e. type II. Check your 64MB
card - if the connector edge is 3mm thick, it is type I.

Cheers,
David

y_p_w

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote in message news:<xXiEb.161$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > My older camera had 64 Type II from SanDisk? The 256MB and 512MB CF
> > cards are coming out in Type I. Reading a little about them, I find

> that
> > Type I cards are slimmer and are little bit more delicate. Do they make
> > 256MB and 512MB CF cards in Type II model? Type II is more sturdier and
> > seems to be more modern/newer in CF technology.
> >
> > Any advice.
> >
> > BT

> I have _never_ seen a thick CF card - i.e. type II. Check your 64MB
> card - if the connector edge is 3mm thick, it is type I.

I believe Microdrive CF cards are Type II. Some people have been
stung because they bought a Type II card when they needed Type I.

y_p_w

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Ben Theil wrote:
>
> > Hello again,
> >
> > Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to buy
> > additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards, there are
> > tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I know my camera
> > will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive I am not really
> > interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand is better?
> >
> > Thank you for any information and advice.
> >
> > BT

> Type doesn't matter. Look for the size and speed you need. Faster
> cards probably won't make much difference in the performance of your
> camera, but will pay dividends when used in your card reader. The
> 'sweet spot' in size vs. cost is around 256 meg now, but you probably
> wont' need that large a card unless you are buying something in the
> Canon Digital Rebel category.

Most people don't need "faster". I do know someone who uses a Canon
1D for sports photography, and sometimes he needs the extra speed
for when he takes those 10-20 shot bursts. A faster card reduces the
chances that a shot is going to be missed because the camera is still
writing to the card. I guess most people don't have his needs though.

David J Taylor

> > I have _never_ seen a thick CF card - i.e. type II. Check your 64MB
> > card - if the connector edge is 3mm thick, it is type I.

> I believe Microdrive CF cards are Type II. Some people have been
> stung because they bought a Type II card when they needed Type I.

I meant "solid-state memory" as opposed to "disk".

David

Morgan Ohlson

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ben Theil wrote:
>
> > Hello again,
> >
> > Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to buy
> > additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards, there

are
> > tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I know my camera
> > will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive I am not really
> > interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand is better?
> >
> > Thank you for any information and advice.
> >
> > BT

> Type doesn't matter.

Yes it does. But prize doesn't give anything better. Make shure the card is
known to operate well tegether with your digicam, that's all that matters.

Morgan O.