Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Group Pix: Light and Dark skin tones?

Group Pix: Light and Dark skin tones?

(Pete Cresswell)

When I do pictures of 2-4 people together and some have very light skin and
others have very dark skin, the people with the dark skin seem to lose detail -
I guess, because the camera averages out the light and they lose...

The obvious workaround would seem to be a spot-focus on the person whose skin
tone is somewhere in the middle or to the dark end - but I'm guessing that will
make others look washed-out.

Barring some other camera technique, is there something I can do in Photoshop to
even out the pix?
--
PeteCresswell

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 02:01:35 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "(Pete
Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I do pictures of 2-4 people together and some have very light skin and
>others have very dark skin, the people with the dark skin seem to lose detail -
>I guess, because the camera averages out the light and they lose...
>
>The obvious workaround would seem to be a spot-focus on the person whose skin
>tone is somewhere in the middle or to the dark end - but I'm guessing that will
>make others look washed-out.
>
>Barring some other camera technique, is there something I can do in Photoshop to
>even out the pix?

If your camera has an exposure bracketing function, this seems a good
place to start. You could than blend the images in PS as needed.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam