Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji FinePix S2 Pro and 2 Gigabyte Microdrive

Fuji FinePix S2 Pro and 2 Gigabyte Microdrive

Curt

Hi !

I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.

Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???

Any1 tried yet?

Thanks

Curt

Howard McCollister

"Curt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi !
>
> I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
> now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.
>
> Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
> Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???

Yes, but I'm not so sure that 2 gig of storage is a great way to go. That
would be about 440 jpegs at max resolution. Putting all of your eggs into
one basket. If the card craps out, you can lose a heck of a lot of pictures.
Most dSLR users seem to use multiple 500meg cards.

HMc

SimonG Ltd.

"Howard McCollister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fe19fd5$0$7364$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Curt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi !
> >
> > I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
> > now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.
> >
> > Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
> > Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???
> >

> Yes, but I'm not so sure that 2 gig of storage is a great way to go. That
> would be about 440 jpegs at max resolution. Putting all of your eggs into
> one basket. If the card craps out, you can lose a heck of a lot of

pictures.
> Most dSLR users seem to use multiple 500meg cards.

I shoot RAW, 12MB per file on 2 x 512 MB CF cards and also use an X-Drive
with a 20GB laptop HDD . . . my biggest problem is battery life in the
X-Drive, I need more . . . 5 x of the 2GB Microdrives would be nice (833
shots) . . . bit too much money for me though . . .

cheers, SimonG

Jim Polaski

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Curt) wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
> now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.
>
> Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
> Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???
>
> Any1 tried yet?
>

> Thanks
>

> Curt

Fuji says the camera is compatible with Microdrives and makes no
distinction about size.

They do say that it is not compatible with some CF cards. I tried lexar
and they were ok as was sandisk. Fuji says some don't, so go try one
before you buy.

--
Regards,
JP

Curt

> Yes, but I'm not so sure that 2 gig of storage is a great way to go.

You say "yes" ... are your really sure about it? I mean, I know that
the 2 GB
microdrive fits into the slot since it has the same size as the 1 GB.
But the really important question is: Is it recognized by the camera?

Do know if there are differences in reading or writing speeds among
the different devices?

thanks

curt

Howard McCollister

"Curt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Yes, but I'm not so sure that 2 gig of storage is a great way to go.

> You say "yes" ... are your really sure about it? I mean, I know that
> the 2 GB
> microdrive fits into the slot since it has the same size as the 1 GB.
> But the really important question is: Is it recognized by the camera?
>
> Do know if there are differences in reading or writing speeds among
> the different devices?

The Fuji S2 Pro uses FAT16 file formatting for its storage devices. FAT16
only supports up to 2.2gigabytes, so a 4 gig CF card, although it will fit
the Type II slot, will still only be able to store 2.2 gigabytes.

AFAIK, the only cameras that can currently use CF cards bigger than 2 gig
are Canon 1Ds, S45, S230, G3 and the Kodak 14n since they all use FAT32
formatting. A 4 gig CF card can be used, but since it has to be formatted in
FAT16, it will only address 2.2 gig. This is a software issue, and
theoretically could be addressed in most other cameras with a firmware
upgrade if the companies thought it was a marketable feature.

HMc

Pumpkin King

I was tempted into the 2.2gb magicstor microdrive and found it
defective (died after a couple hours of shooting). That appears to
be a common experience unfortunately from the few reviews I've been
able to dig up. I have a 1GB IBM, a 340mb IBM, and now 1GB Hitachi
(replacing the returned 2.2gb model) which are serving nicely. (EOS
1D and EOS D60).

Upgrade Nation gave awesome service on the return though, much better
than other companies I've dealt with.

-mg

On 17 Dec 2003 15:31:49 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Curt) wrote:

>Hi !
>
>I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
>now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.
>
>Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
>Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???
>
>Any1 tried yet?
>

>Thanks
>

>Curt

Don B

Jim Polaski wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Curt) wrote:
>

>>Hi !
>>
>>I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
>>now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.
>>
>>Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
>>Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???
>>
>>Any1 tried yet?
>>

>>Thanks
>>

>>Curt
>>

>Fuji says the camera is compatible with Microdrives and makes no
>distinction about size.
>
>They do say that it is not compatible with some CF cards. I tried lexar
>and they were ok as was sandisk. Fuji says some don't, so go try one
>before you buy.

I am using a 1 gig IBM microdrive in mine, and have also used Sandisk,
Olympus, and PNY smartmedia cards in it.

Don