Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Disservice to Sony? (dcresource's "examples" of Sony DSC-F282)

Disservice to Sony? (dcresource's "examples" of Sony DSC-F282)

Wayne J

"Todd Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Oh they've already been boasting and no one even has one yet. I can't
> believe anyone would pay $1000 for the 828 when you can get the 300D
> with a lens for the same price. But hey, to each his own (or there's a
> sucker born every minute, take your pick.)

I don't think that camera is as bad as you are thinking. Those samples look
pretty good to me considering that I would need a monitor screen 45" wide to
view the whole picture at once. If you blew up your 10D pictures to the same
size would they look that much better?

Wayne

Larry Lynch

In article <THfEb.42128$5F2.16201@news-
binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> jriegle wrote:
> > 8mp crammed on a tiny chip. I'm not surprised there will be some noise
> > visible. Some chromatic aberration is noticeable as well as lower contrast.

> The pixel pitch is not significantly smaller than the 5mp on 1/1.8
> sensors which seem to be everywhere. So the noise performance while
> it is never going to look good against an SLR or even the 717 should
> be on a par with the DSC-P10 - if not then Sony have dropped the ball
> somewhat.
>
> - Len

The newest CD-Mavica (the 500, 5mp) seems to use the
same sensor as the 717, but it (so far in testing) gets
LESS noise in most pictures than the 717.

They must have up-graded something in the process. Too
bad it doesn't have a card slot, 'cause Im expecting the
cdrw drive to die early.

(It was bought for a special project, and paid for
itself in 1 weekend, in case anyone is wondering WHY I
would buy THAT camera).

I had a contract to take several hundred photos, deliver
them "on the spot" with no chance that I was taking home
any copies! (and no chance to claim any rights on the
photos!!!)

The Mavicam seemed perfect for the job. Shoot, Finalize
disk, hand over disc(s) take the money and the camera,
and go home. It is far easier (on the profit margin) to
hand over 10 or 20 cdr disks (at 10 for 10 dollars, or
less) than it is to hand over 10 or 20 memory chips of
any type. When I asked about using FILM (which would
have been easiest for me) I was told that they couldn't
be done on film, no reason given. (but I digress)

I was anxious to try the 828, but seeing what (so far)
is posted, I'm not thrilled to the point I would pay
what they are asking for the 828, The pictures seem
"Bigger" but not "Better". (sniff,,, it has a CF slot
too,,,,)

Were it to go "on sale" for the same price I paid for
the 717 I might be interested, but for now I'm saving my
pennies. (I got the 717 "on sale" for $500 and change, I
forget the exact ammount. Brand new, in the box, NOT A
REFURB!(at Sears, of all places)).
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

Todd Walker

In article <brs8pl$6sk1g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Ah yes, the Canon fanboys are bashing it already, and it's barely released.
>
> So, can your 10D do histogram preview? Does it have a rotating LCD preview
> screen for macro shooting? Can it do movies? Does it have a removable IR
> blocking filter for superb infrared capability?

Histogram preview is unnecessary -- I know that the camera will nail the
exposure every time. Rotating screen? Nope but I am able to look through
the viewfinder and see exactly what the lens sees. Movies? It is a STILL
camera. As a professional photographer I don't really have much need to
take movies of my clients. Infrared? Again, not a lot of call for
infrared portraits.

> I really wish the dSLR folks would realize that not everybody wants a
> crippled digital camera, just so they can boast it's an SLR. The SLR was
> great for film, but it's a broken concept for digital IMO. Take all the
> disadvantages of film, and force it on to digital... what's the point?

What disadvantages? Being able to look through the lens for framing?
Being able to swap lenses based on your current needs? Zero shutter lag?
What disadvantages are you talking about?

> If I wanted a bulky camera, I'd rather have a big sensor on a digicam format
> than an SLR format.

That's certainly your prerogative but I would bet that if you used a
digital SLR for a week you would never go back to a P&S digital.

I realize that not everyone needs an SLR and that's fine. But to suggest
that P&S digitals are superior to SLRs and that those of us who own SLRs
only do so as a sort of dick measuring contest to say "Mine is bigger
than yours" is ludicrous. Just because your needs are different than
mine doesn't mean that my choices are wrong. They are right for me, not
for you.

Open your mind a little.

--
__________________________________
Todd Walker

Dave Oddie

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:43:27 GMT, Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Open your mind a little.

I think your "sucker born every minute" comment suggests yours is equally
closed.

It was you who said they could not understand anyone going for an 828. Hardly
open minded on your part to the advantages some will perceive to that type of
camera.

Dave

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:43:27 GMT, Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Open your mind a little.

> I think your "sucker born every minute" comment suggests yours is equally
> closed.
>
> It was you who said they could not understand anyone going for an 828. Hardly
> open minded on your part to the advantages some will perceive to that type of
> camera.
>
> Dave

You are absolutely right Dave. Thanks for pointing that out for me. Yes
for some the 828 will make sense.

--
__________________________________
Todd Walker

Rick

"Larry Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> (I got the 717 "on sale" for $500 and change, I
> forget the exact ammount. Brand new, in the box, NOT A
> REFURB!(at Sears, of all places)).

IMO, at that price it's worth the post processing time required
to get great (or at least good) images out of it. I feel sorry for
those who plonked down $1000 or more though.

Rick

Larry Lynch

In article <brtiao$7gvej$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> "Larry Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > (I got the 717 "on sale" for $500 and change, I
> > forget the exact ammount. Brand new, in the box, NOT A
> > REFURB!(at Sears, of all places)).

> IMO, at that price it's worth the post processing time required
> to get great (or at least good) images out of it. I feel sorry for
> those who plonked down $1000 or more though.
>
> Rick

I also feel sorry for those who paid full (or near full)
retail for the 717.

I had seen (and tested) the 717 in the fall of 2002, and
I really liked it then.

I did NOT like the price. It wasnt a matter of "I cant
afford it" it was a matter of "Im not that stupid!"

When I first saw the 717 it was priced at $799 (US), I
dont think I ever saw it selling higher than that (Sony
Suggested retail was $1000, IIRC).

I was walking through the local Sears on a totally
different errand whan I saw it on display as a SPECIAL
at $500 this past spring. At that price point it was an
"impulse buy" for me, and I havent regretted it, for
that price it is a fine "Point & Shoot" camera.

The 828, I thought, was supposed to truly move Sony
solidly into the "Pro-sumer" arena, but if the images so
far are any indication, it is a step backward, giving
more pixels but MORE noise.

The only other Sony camera I own is the MVC CD500, which
was bought for a special project, so I dont think I can
be considered a Sony Zealot, just a Sony owner,
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

JK

First of all, I can't get a 300D with an f2-2.8 18-125 mm lens for under $1000.
The 300D is also not good for shooting from the hip(Why doesn't Canon
make a camera that takes the EF and EF-S lenses but isn't an slr, and
has a quiet electronic shutter, no mirror to move, an even more compact body
that rotates(or a display that rotates, and a preview in the display as well
as an electronic viewfinder)? While many photography enthusiasts like the
idea of an slr, many others would like to avoid the noisy mechanical shutter
and moving mirror and have a digital preview and a body or display that
rotates for taking photos from the hip.