Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > If money was no object...

If money was no object...

Angel

Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it would be a
DSLR?

Unfortunately for me, money is an object, so I stick with my Fuji S602Z!

Jim Waggener

"Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tz3Eb.12706$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
> digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it would be

> DSLR?
>
> Unfortunately for me, money is an object, so I stick with my Fuji S602Z!

For me it would be a BetterLight digital back for my 4x5
No reflex needed...you are looking directly through the lens.

PhotoMan

"Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fe0d9ad$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tz3Eb.12706$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
> > digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it would

be
> > DSLR?

No doubt in my mind whatsoever! Canon EOS 1DS. I'll have one in my hot
little bag in a few days.
Joe Arnold

PhotoMan

"PhotoMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:475Eb.13305$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fe0d9ad$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:tz3Eb.12706$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
> > > digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it

would
> be
> > > DSLR?

> No doubt in my mind whatsoever! Canon EOS 1DS. I'll have one in my hot
> little bag in a few days.
> Joe Arnold

OOPS - sorry for the misquote.
Joe

Don Coon

"Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tz3Eb.12706$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
> digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it would be

> DSLR?
>
> Unfortunately for me, money is an object, so I stick with my Fuji S602Z!

How about the Hubble Telescope? The maintenance would be quite costly
though.

Ron Andrews

"Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message
newsA5Eb.578412$Tr4.1553195@attbi_s03...

> "Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tz3Eb.12706$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
> > digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it would

be
> > DSLR?
> >
> > Unfortunately for me, money is an object, so I stick with my Fuji S602Z!

> How about the Hubble Telescope? The maintenance would be quite costly
> though.

A spy satellite (like the Hubble but pointed towards Earth) could be
more interesting.

Christian

Angel wrote:

> Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
> digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it would be
> a DSLR?

I imagine for a lot of people, including me, it would be an EOS 1Ds. The
idea of a MF digital back is appealing but the convenience of a 35mm camera
with a full-frame sensor and image quality that many believe rivals MF film
probably wins out. Having said that, I imagine the 1Ds' replacement
(whenever that arrivals) will probably have much greater sensitivity range
(probably ISO 6400) which could well be worth waiting for. Fingers crossed
it'll also probably be much cheaper, although still out of my budget I'm
sure!

To quote Phil's conclusion at dpreview.com:
-->
What more can I say? I love this camera, it's addictive, you get the first
hit when you pick it up, look through the viewfinder and press that shutter
release, it's one of the most effective and rewarding photographic tools
you can use. The next hit comes when you see the images on a monitor (and
prints look even better still). Simply the best (at the time of writing
this review).
<--
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/page22.asp

Don Coon

"Ron Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gZ5Eb.36943$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message
> newsA5Eb.578412$Tr4.1553195@attbi_s03...
> >
> > "Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:tz3Eb.12706$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
> > > digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it

would
> be
> > > DSLR?
> > >
> > > Unfortunately for me, money is an object, so I stick with my Fuji

S602Z!

> > How about the Hubble Telescope? The maintenance would be quite costly
> > though.
> >

> A spy satellite (like the Hubble but pointed towards Earth) could be
> more interesting.

Woner what focal length we're talking about? Thousands of mm?

David J. Littleboy

"Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
> digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it would be

> DSLR?

Yes. The Fuji GX645AF (sold as the Hasselblad H1 in your neighborhood) with
the Fuji 20MP full-frame digital back.

> Unfortunately for me, money is an object, so I stick with my Fuji S602Z!

Yes a bit cheaper. With a film back, the GX645AF is a US$7,000 camera, and
that digital back will be over US$15,000. Of course, you can always use that
back on your Fuji GX680, but then you get a crop factor.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

David J. Littleboy

"Christian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Taking the cost out of the equation, is there a widely accepted 'best'
> > digital camera, ie, the one everybody wants to own? I imagine it would

be
> > a DSLR?

> I imagine for a lot of people, including me, it would be an EOS 1Ds. The
> idea of a MF digital back is appealing but the convenience of a 35mm

camera
> with a full-frame sensor and image quality that many believe rivals MF

film
> probably wins out.

Have you ever held a 1Ds? It is significantly heavier and a lot more awkward
than any MF camera I have ever owned: Hasselblad (many many years ago),
Mamiya 645 Pro (current), Rolleiflex TLR being the three heaviest. The
Hasselblad H1 has worlds better ergonomics, although it is heavier than the
1Ds.

> Having said that, I imagine the 1Ds' replacement
> (whenever that arrivals) will probably have much greater sensitivity range
> (probably ISO 6400) which could well be worth waiting for.

I think you're right on this. I'll be happy with 10D noise levels at ISO 800
and 1600, but a full-frame camera should have lower noise than the 10D.

> Fingers crossed
> it'll also probably be much cheaper, although still out of my budget I'm
> sure!

I'm saving frantically...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan