Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Size of this newsgroup

Size of this newsgroup

KS

> So who says you have to use OE for reading newsgroups. OE is a
> terrible software package, esp. for reading newsgroups. A better
> choice is Free Agent.

Perhaps it's posts like this that bloat rec.photo.digital ??

Mark B.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:brsgep$r0m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > OE does work that way.

> So who says you have to use OE for reading newsgroups. OE is a terrible

software
> package, esp. for reading newsgroups. A better choice is Free Agent.

Works fine for me.

Mark

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> normanstrong wrote:
>
> > I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
> > there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
> > posts each and every day?
> >
> > Norm Strong

> You can't divide newsgroups. You'd have to form *new* ones of a similar

nature
> under the same hierarchy. (ie. rec.photo.digital.slr)
>
> There's a formal procedure for creating new groups. Anyone can do it. If

you
> care to give it a try, here is how it's done:
>
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/crea...sgroups/part1/

quoting:
"These are guidelines that have been generally agreed upon across
Usenet as appropriate for following in the creating of new newsgroups
in the "standard" Usenet newsgroup hierarchy. They are NOT intended as
guidelines for setting Usenet policy other than group creations, and
they are not intended to apply to "alternate" or local news
hierarchies. The part of the namespace affected is comp, humanities,
misc, news, rec, sci, soc, talk, which are the most widely-distributed
areas of the Usenet hierarchy."

which would explain all the cr@p in the alt.* such as alt.hipgr1me.*@!#$*