Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony 828 samples.....

Sony 828 samples.....

Marc Libom

> However, these first few pictures from the 828 dont show
> me any reason to buy it.
>
> I'll have to wait and see hoe it works when I get the
> chance to try one. The pictures posted so far are NOT
> encouraging.

Exactly a cam with that impressing data, that are so highly advertised,
should keep, what the technique promises. I agree, all the pics I saw and
the first magazine test reviews rate camera's value for prize only as
average. I expected much more, especially from the 4th color of the new ccd
sensor.

ScorpionKing@attNOSPAM.net

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:40:29 GMT, Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <7J_Db.41011$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Another pointless thread on this newsgroup: a cascade of

conclusions about
>> noise based on one person's interpretation of a web-based photo

based on
>> nothing but what he/her thinks he sees on a monitor.

>So I suppose when these things start getting into the hands of the

Sony
>faithful and they start posting similar pictures with the same

problems,
>those conclusions will be pointless as well?
>
>Amazing -- just like we have been saying here all along, the F828 is

>turd. Based on those samples, I would much rather have an F717. But

I'm
>sure the Sony zealots will never admit anything...

Hey now, I'm a big Sony fan. I own the S85, F707, and the V1. I'm
now thinking I will NOT buy a F828. A real shame too since I have a
bloody fortune in mem sticks. Oh well.
--
Like a game of pick up stick played by ****ing lunatics

Aardvark

> Hey now, I'm a big Sony fan. I own the S85, F707, and the V1.
I'm
> now thinking I will NOT buy a F828. A real shame too since I

have a
> bloody fortune in mem sticks. Oh well.

And that's the reason I didn't buy Sony. Choosing between
throwing away $500 worth of Memory Sticks or being locked into a
crappy upgrade path is not really my cup of tea.

zbzbzb

>> Hey now, I'm a big Sony fan. I own the S85, F707, and the V1.
>I'm
>> now thinking I will NOT buy a F828. A real shame too since I

>have a
>> bloody fortune in mem sticks. Oh well.

>And that's the reason I didn't buy Sony. Choosing between
>throwing away $500 worth of Memory Sticks or being locked into a
>crappy upgrade path is not really my cup of tea.

Do you normally throw away things that others would find valuable?

Also, no one forces anyone to upgrade to anything.

Paul H.

"Manfred von Richthofen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brpea8$qjd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...w/gallery.shtm

Hmmm...I wasn't overly impressed with the samples. In fact, after viewing

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...w/DSC02547.JPG

I was going to say the Emperor had no clothes, but that's not strictly
true-- he's wearing a large purple fringe.

Aardvark

> Do you normally throw away things that others would find

valuable?

You take a hit from selling both off your camera AND your now
useless memory sticks. I now have 1.5 GB worth of CF ( how much
would that cost in Memory sticks ? ) that I can use with my
Minolta A1 and Canon 300D. I got them with my G3 and when I
upgraded, there was no problem reusing the CF. The same is
hardly true of memory sticks unless I remain with Sony. And
looking at the 828, it seems like a bad position to be in.

> Also, no one forces anyone to upgrade to anything.

Sure. I choose to upgrade, and when that time comes, it's easier
if I don't have to worry about the hit I'm taking selling off my
useless MS cheaply, or be locked into staying with only 1
manufacturer.

Marc Libom

> You take a hit from selling both off your camera AND your now
> useless memory sticks. I now have 1.5 GB worth of CF ( how much
> would that cost in Memory sticks ? ) that I can use with my
> Minolta A1 and Canon 300D. I got them with my G3 and when I
> upgraded, there was no problem reusing the CF. The same is
> hardly true of memory sticks unless I remain with Sony. And
> looking at the 828, it seems like a bad position to be in.
>
> > Also, no one forces anyone to upgrade to anything.

> Sure. I choose to upgrade, and when that time comes, it's easier
> if I don't have to worry about the hit I'm taking selling off my
> useless MS cheaply, or be locked into staying with only 1
> manufacturer.

Only SD- and CompactFlash cards will survive. SD-cards for the compact
products and CF for the rest. The extremely expensive, propriatary
MemoryStick would prevent me from buying a Sony and Sony got this too and
put both MS and CF in the new F828, so they made the cam at least compatible
to the future.

The price difference between a 1GB CF and MS is so big, that you can buy the
1 GB CompactFlash and a book a weekend vacation (for taking pictures) for
the same prize the 1 GB MemoryStick takes out of your wallet.

Larry Lynch

In article <20031218223133.14243.00001494@mb-
m28.news.cs.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)bzbzb says...
> Do you normally throw away things that others would find valuable?
>
> Also, no one forces anyone to upgrade to anything.

That "Throw-away the memory sticks" comment was
definately the product of someone "speaking through his
asshole" anyway.

Nobody (with half a brain)will EVER put credence on
anything he says after a remark like that.

Nobody who has watched Sony would be "Surprised" by Sony
hanging with proprietary memory, they have done the same
thing (in different ways) for all the years I can
remember (and that goes back to the introduction of the
Trinitron television 30 or so years ago)

It wasn't a surprise to me when I bought my "717" that I
had to buy new memory, 'cause what I had for my Fuji and
my Toshiba wouldn't fit.

On the SAME note I am surprised to see that they have
made the "828" compatible with CF cards, thats not a
Sony-like move. It doesnt, however make the "828" a
better camera than the "717" it just makes it more
flexible to use.

It would be GREAT if we could, just once in a while,
have a discussion about a new camera without any BRAND-
BASHING.

Here is my attempt.

The Long Awaited Sony "828"

Not having my hands wrapped around one wont stop me from
making observations about the pictures I've (so far)
seen from the "828"

The pictures do NOT seem to be an improvement over the
pictures I get from my Sony 717, they only seem larger,
and I had HOPED they would give me an excuse to get the
camera.

NOT the case here at all. The pictures seem to have MORE
NOISE (maybe because the imager is the same size with
more pixels) and it has at least the same amount of
"purple fringing" that I find in my "717" images.

I'm gonna' try to lay my hands on one (maybe this
weekend as a friend is supposed to recieve his by Fed-ex
today), and see how they shoot identical set-ups, THEN
maybe I'll find something to like.

--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

Larry Lynch

In article <iaxEb.10461$0s2.1829
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I was going to say the Emperor had no clothes, but that's not strictly
> true-- he's wearing a large purple fringe.

Very true, and so far its seeming to be worse than the
fringing from the "717"
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

zbzbzb

>> Do you normally throw away things that others would find
>valuable?
>

>You take a hit from selling both off your camera AND your now
>useless memory sticks.

The "hit," as you say, for selling the camera applies to any camera brand.
Also, if you can sell the Memory Sticks then they are not useless, right?

I now have 1.5 GB worth of CF ( how much
>would that cost in Memory sticks ? ) that I can use with my
>Minolta A1 and Canon 300D. I got them with my G3 and when I
>upgraded, there was no problem reusing the CF. The same is
>hardly true of memory sticks unless I remain with Sony. And
>looking at the 828, it seems like a bad position to be in.

So what happens if in the future you happen to like another camera other than
Sony that doesn't use the CF? What then?

>> Also, no one forces anyone to upgrade to anything.

>Sure. I choose to upgrade, and when that time comes, it's easier
>if I don't have to worry about the hit I'm taking selling off my
>useless MS cheaply, or be locked into staying with only 1
>manufacturer.

Look at your wording, "useless," "cheaply" and "locked." Considering that
typical sizes of Memory Stick can be bought and sold for prices not so
different from each other to deter reselling then the term "cheaply" shouldn't
apply. Since there is a market for all used media, including Memory Sticks then
"useless" shouldn't apply either. Finally, since you are using cameras that use
a specific media type are you not locked into that media type for as long as
you use that particular camera? That would apply to all digital cameras. Since
you say it would be easier to upgrade without worrying about media type would
you be willing to pass on a more superior camera for an inferior one simply
because you happen to already own the media?