Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camcorder battery - how much record time should I get on a Canon ZR-60?

Camcorder battery - how much record time should I get on a Canon ZR-60?

Tom

I bought a Canon ZR-60 camcorder which came with the BP-508 battery.
My first supposedly brand-new package was missing the battery, so I
exchanged it for the only other one at Walmart which was also supposed
to be brand new, but I could tell from the way it was packed, a small
dent on the battery, and several fingerprints that it had been opened
and used before. Fortunately the camcorder itself was in good shape.

After charging the battery up, I set the camcorder on record in SP
mode (using the viewfinder) and came back 60 minutes later to stop
recording just before the tape was full. I then rewound the tape and
played it for a few minutes through the viewfinder before the battery
warning came on and the camcorder soon turned itself off.

According to the manual, the max recording time using the viewfinder
is 100 minutes and the "typical" recording time is 55 minutes for the
BP-508. I got about 65 minutes without doing any zooms or start/stops.

Could others who own this camera and battery please tell me how long
your battery typically lasts while recording using the viewfinder? I
want to make sure that 65 minutes is what one would expect for a
"brand new" BP-508 battery.

Also, to extend the battery's life, when my battery is charged up
should I leave it plugged in the camcorder with the AC adapter
attached while I use it for analog capture, or is it better to
disconnect it and set it aside until I need it? If I let the battery
sit on a shelf, will its charge quickly drain (like my NiMH AA
batteries do) or will it remain nearly full for months? In other
words, should I recharge the battery for a little while before using
it if I've let it sit unused for a while?