Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How do you deal with the EOS300d limitations?

How do you deal with the EOS300d limitations?

Michael

He just can't afford it himself, that's all.

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Marc Libom wrote:
>

> > Sorry Jim, but that's the arrogance, the interested group doesn't need.
> > Thomas was asking a simple question which are absolutely comprehensible.

As
> > competitors (although you will never a A1 as competitor) has all these
> > features and no limitations for a lower price.
> >
> > Thomas was just asking simple question. The EOS users should give him

honest
> > answers and shouldn't tell him, what he has to need, only the EOS has

big
> > deficits.

> I'll agree I was a bit condescending.. I'll agree the group doesn't need

more
> of this. But.. I don't feel the OP was asking a simple question.
>
> If the original poster had simply asked how Rebel owners worked around

what he
> felt were limitations, I would have remained quiet.
>
> He made a point of stating: "How do you deal with these bad limitations"

and
> "with mega awful user configurations that spoil the camera"
>
> I read this as a troll.. And I guess I bit.
>
> Do you honestly believe he is *seriously* considering purchasing a camera

he
> states has "bad limitations" and "mega awful user configurations" ? When

was
> the last time you considered buying something with a mega awful feature.
>
> He was bashing the camera and disguising it as a question. If this isn't

true,
> I apologize..

Michael

But if he can knock a camera because of it's limitations then you suspect he
knows some thing about cameras, right? If he knows some thing about cameras
then why would he ask just such questions he can answer himself?

"Dave Oddie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:22:13 -0600, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Oh please....
> >
> >And how do they manage without a weatherproof body, or the inability to

shoot
> >10 frames per second, or how do the do anything with less than 10

Megapixels ?

> >The 300D is an entry level DSLR.. Flash compensation and AI servo are

nice to
> >have, but not absolutely necessary. I'd be willing to bet most 300D

users
> >don't miss these things are, or even care what they are.
> >
> >The camera takes great pictures and provides very fast autofocus and low

noise
> >pictures at high ISO.
> >
> >Not everyone needs these things.. If you do *need* these things, get a

10D or a
> >Nikon D100..

> Perhaps he does need these things and can't afford a 10D or D100?
>
> His question:
>
> >>Do you found any useful work-arounds to make these worse things a
> >>little better?

> Is hardly unreasonable and the answers to which might be of interest to

others
> so why the aggressive totally unhelpful almost defensive response?
>
> He is not slagging the camera off but asking for how to get more out of it
> which seems quite reasonable.
>
> Unlike your response IMO.
>
> If you don't know the answers, better not to post than post a lecture.
>
> Dave

Mark B.

"Marc Libom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brnaa4$b1p$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> > Two ways :
> > - Use a flash that has flash exposure compensation built in. The Canon
> > Speedlite 550EX has that.

> Sorry, I thought an integrated flash should act as a simple replacement

for
> an expensive accessory, that of course has this features. It's definitely
> hard to understand, why Canon cut this feature and made the flash almost
> senseless.

A built-in flash is not going to be a replacement for an external high-power
flash unit with bounce, swivel, and wireless flash capability.

Mark

David J. Littleboy

"Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But if he can knock a camera because of it's limitations then you suspect

he
> knows some thing about cameras, right? If he knows some thing about

cameras
> then why would he ask just such questions he can answer himself?

But he's seriously wrong about the "limitations": they are far more a matter
of being minor irritations than limitations. The AI focus mode in the 300D
that you are "stuck with" is worlds better than any AF mode in any consumer
digital camera for the obvious reason that the consumer digital cameras use
the CCD sensor for AF, and are limited by the slow frame rates of the CCD,
whereas the 300D has a separate AF system that's as good as SLR AF sensors
get without buying a pro camera.

It would be nice if you could select continuous tracking or one-shot in the
normal camera modes ("creative modes" in Canon-speak), but not being able to
is an irritation, not a limitation, if you are comparing the 300D to
consumer digitals.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

PhotoMan

"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g6JDb.145379$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> If these are going to be a severe limitation to you -- GET A DIFFERENT
> CAMERA, ACE!

LOL You tell him Tony!

Leonard

Thomas Frost wrote:

> As I am interested in buying a EOS300d, my question is now how you, the
> EOS300d users, deal with these bad limitations like the non adjustable flash
> intensity,

Lack of FEC is the least of the flash's problems. It suffers greatly
from not being aimable, having rather puny power, and being too close
to the lens. This is what you get with onboard flash. Get a suitable
external unit and these problems will be solved, and you'll have FEC
as well.

the inability to use the AF mode you want or need

Almost all the time the AF does the right thing, very quickly. On
rare occasions it will refocus after a focus-recompose operation.
Just switch the lens to manual after focussing to avoid this.

and the mega awful missing of user configurations

Not sure what you mean by this.

- Len

stan@temple.edu

Thomas Frost <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The EOS300d is a good but ambivalently camera as it has a - for dSLR - very
> low price, but extremly limitations too, that are discussed here a lot,
> especially with the users of the competing and much better featured A1.

> As I am interested in buying a EOS300d, my question is now how you, the
> EOS300d users, deal with these bad limitations like the non adjustable flash
> intensity, the inability to use the AF mode you want or need and the mega
> awful missing of user configurations which spoils this actually good camera
> mostly. Do you found any useful work-arounds to make these worse things a
> little better?

The Digital Rebel works great for my needs. I do not do a lot of flash
photography so its flash capabilities, or lack thereof, are not a concern
for me.

The proof is in the pudding. Here are a few samples of what my 300d and I
have done:

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/...Utah-Day1.html

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/...Utah-Day2.html

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/...bleHeader.html

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/..._Nov_2003.html

The last link includes some interesting night shots that I took from the
Empire State Building's obervation deck at around 8:00pm.

The Utah-Day2 set includes some photos that I shot of the Bonnevill Salt
Flats last week that are strikingly beuatiful with the mountains
reflecting in the rain water that was covering the salt flats.

stan@temple.edu

Juan R. Pollo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Now, if you could provide some better alternatives to the Rebel for the same
> price, we'd be all set. TIA.

Why? Do you want better alternatives to a Ferrarri for the price of
a Chevy? If you want upscale features in a digital camera, expect to
pay an upscale price.

For me, the Digital Rebel works extremely well. I have not been hampered
by any of its limitations. Frankly, I think a good photographer can create
great photographs with even the most modest point and shoot camera. I have
a Digital Rebel and I assure you that I can take some pretty crappy (i.e.,
poorly composed) photos with it, but I can take some wonderful photos too.
After shooting with a variety of consumer oriented digital and film
cameras I am convinced that the capabilities of the camera take a back
seat to the capabilities of the person using the camera.

jean

"Marc Libom" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:brna77$to6$06$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> > Oh please....
> >
> > And how do they manage without a weatherproof body, or the inability to

> shoot
> > 10 frames per second, or how do the do anything with less than 10

> Megapixels ?
> >
> > The 300D is an entry level DSLR.. Flash compensation and AI servo are

> nice to
> > have, but not absolutely necessary. I'd be willing to bet most 300D

users
> > don't miss these things are, or even care what they are.
> >
> > The camera takes great pictures and provides very fast autofocus and low

> noise
> > pictures at high ISO.
> >
> > Not everyone needs these things.. If you do *need* these things, get a

10D
> or a
> > Nikon D100..

> Sorry Jim, but that's the arrogance, the interested group doesn't need.
> Thomas was asking a simple question which are absolutely comprehensible.

As
> competitors (although you will never a A1 as competitor) has all these
> features and no limitations for a lower price.
>
> Thomas was just asking simple question. The EOS users should give him

honest
> answers and shouldn't tell him, what he has to need, only the EOS has big
> deficits.

My old SLR (Canon FTb) didn't have ANY automatic settings, no autofocus,
nothing, nada. I am learning how to use the "limited" features of my Drebel
which in many ways are better than my 35mm.

Jean

Dave Oddie

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:23:52 -0500, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>But if he can knock a camera because of it's limitations then you suspect he
>knows some thing about cameras, right?

Nothing more than what you can read about the limitations on any of the review
sites or in the press.

> If he knows some thing about cameras
>then why would he ask just such questions he can answer himself?

Because he does not own one and is asking people who do how they address these
issues.

I thought that was blindingly obvious.

Dave

AMD64 or Semperon, deal or no deal? Tad Confused Computer Information 7 04-13-2006 05:43 PM
deal or no deal rbt Python 7 12-28-2005 08:57 PM
Canon EOS300D GYT Digital Photography 2 09-23-2003 12:36 PM
Re: Canon EOS300D/10D flash question Robertwgross Digital Photography 2 08-22-2003 10:03 AM

Advertisments