Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How do you deal with the EOS300d limitations?

How do you deal with the EOS300d limitations?

Browntimdc

Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I read this as a troll.. And I guess I bit.
>

> He was bashing the camera and disguising it as a question. If this
> isn't true, I apologize..

He was a troll. His questions reminded me of Joe Mcarthy's technique.

Tim

--

"The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
and the second strongest is to resist it."

Kenneth Graham

Tony Spadaro

If these are going to be a severe limitation to you -- GET A DIFFERENT
CAMERA, ACE!

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Thomas Frost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fdf1240$0$280$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> The EOS300d is a good but ambivalently camera as it has a - for dSLR -

very
> low price, but extremly limitations too, that are discussed here a lot,
> especially with the users of the competing and much better featured A1.
>
> As I am interested in buying a EOS300d, my question is now how you, the
> EOS300d users, deal with these bad limitations like the non adjustable

flash
> intensity, the inability to use the AF mode you want or need and the mega
> awful missing of user configurations which spoils this actually good

camera
> mostly. Do you found any useful work-arounds to make these worse things a
> little better?

Charles Schuler

> He made a point of stating: "How do you deal with these bad limitations"

and
> "with mega awful user configurations that spoil the camera"
>
> I read this as a troll.. And I guess I bit.
>
> Do you honestly believe he is *seriously* considering purchasing a camera

he
> states has "bad limitations" and "mega awful user configurations" ? When

was
> the last time you considered buying something with a mega awful feature.
>
> He was bashing the camera and disguising it as a question. If this isn't

true,
> I apologize..

No need to apologize, in my opinion. The OP used inflammatory language. It
bothered me too and I was surprised to see that you got your butt kicked
when your reaction was justified.

Samuel Paik

"Thomas Frost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As I am interested in buying a EOS300d, my question is now how you, the
> EOS300d users, deal with these bad limitations like the non adjustable flash
> intensity, the inability to use the AF mode you want or need and the mega
> awful missing of user configurations which spoils this actually good camera
> mostly. Do you found any useful work-arounds to make these worse things a
> little better?

First, if those features really are important to you, then you should
be considering a 10D.

I have never had a camera with any of these features, so while I can
see their desirability, I don't miss them, per se. Actually, the
only one I can see an immediate need for is the lack of AF mode
flexibility, it would be nice for when the camera is on a tripod
to be able to select the active AF point. The feature you didn't
mention that I do miss is a lack of mirror lockup, which makes it
a lot less useful in some special situations. I also wish that the
focusing screens were interchangeable so I could get one with a
split-image rangefinder spot.

As far the lack of a flash exposure compensation, get an external
flash with that capability

Marc Libom

> I'll agree I was a bit condescending.. I'll agree the group doesn't need
more
> of this. But.. I don't feel the OP was asking a simple question.
> He was bashing the camera and disguising it as a question. If this isn't

true,
> I apologize..

I think the OP is undecided. You can read so many things about the Rebel,
good and sometimes bad also, that it becomes confusing. I guess he is
interested in buying a cam in this prize range and maybe don't want to spend
even more money than this, so - it is the Rebel, no 10D or something better
and more expensive. Frankly, I wouldn't pay a 1000$ for an analog EOS which
is intentionally that limited also, but in the digital world this should be
normal? I think the poster just want to know, if the users feel the
limitation as bad as they seem to him or if they are some little work
arounds so the limitation won't limit the user in daily use.

MarkH

"Thomas Frost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3fdf1240$0$280$(E-Mail Removed):

> The EOS300d is a good but ambivalently camera as it has a - for dSLR -
> very low price, but extremly limitations too, that are discussed here
> a lot, especially with the users of the competing and much better
> featured A1.
>
> As I am interested in buying a EOS300d, my question is now how you,
> the EOS300d users, deal with these bad limitations like the non
> adjustable flash intensity, the inability to use the AF mode you want
> or need and the mega awful missing of user configurations which spoils
> this actually good camera mostly. Do you found any useful work-arounds
> to make these worse things a little better?

I bought a 10D, problem solved.

However:
The flash intensity IS adjustable, by the camera. Itís the compensation
you canít do. On both the 10D and the 300D the built in flash has limited
usefulness. Attach a real flash and your problem is solved.
On my 10D I use the same focus mode that the 300D is restricted to, it
really is useful.

But:
If you want all the features that the 10D has then you should buy the 10D.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

MarkH

Tim Puffett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:+aff7vC5q13$(E-Mail Removed):

> I 'need' all kinds of things that I can't afford but don't go moaning
> about it to all and sundry!

Why not? Iíd like to complain because I want the speed of the 1D, the res
of the 1Ds and the price of the 300D, with the build quality and features
of the 1Ds too.

Oh well, nothing to do but try to be happy with my 10D for a few years till
itís worth buying a camera that can truly blow away what I have now, for a
similar price.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Ron Hunter

Marc Libom wrote:

>>Oh please....
>>
>>And how do they manage without a weatherproof body, or the inability to

> shoot
>
>>10 frames per second, or how do the do anything with less than 10

> Megapixels ?
>
>>The 300D is an entry level DSLR.. Flash compensation and AI servo are

> nice to
>
>>have, but not absolutely necessary. I'd be willing to bet most 300D users
>>don't miss these things are, or even care what they are.
>>
>>The camera takes great pictures and provides very fast autofocus and low

> noise
>
>>pictures at high ISO.
>>
>>Not everyone needs these things.. If you do *need* these things, get a 10D

> or a
>
>>Nikon D100..

> Sorry Jim, but that's the arrogance, the interested group doesn't need.
> Thomas was asking a simple question which are absolutely comprehensible. As
> competitors (although you will never a A1 as competitor) has all these
> features and no limitations for a lower price.
>
> Thomas was just asking simple question. The EOS users should give him honest
> answers and shouldn't tell him, what he has to need, only the EOS has big
> deficits.

It provides a nice collection of features, and good flexibility at less
than most other digital cameras. I suspect that most users are very
pleased with it for the price. Those who need more can buy the 10D or
one of the really expensive ones.

jriegle

I go out and take pictures with it.
John

Jeff Shoaf

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Samuel Paik) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

>Actually, the
> only one I can see an immediate need for is the lack of AF mode
> flexibility, it would be nice for when the camera is on a tripod
> to be able to select the active AF point.

You can select the active AF point on the 300D.

AMD64 or Semperon, deal or no deal? Tad Confused Computer Information 7 04-13-2006 05:43 PM
deal or no deal rbt Python 7 12-28-2005 08:57 PM
Canon EOS300D GYT Digital Photography 2 09-23-2003 12:36 PM
Re: Canon EOS300D/10D flash question Robertwgross Digital Photography 2 08-22-2003 10:03 AM

Advertisments