Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > script to search a web server directory

script to search a web server directory

Hostos

Hello All,

Please advice...I would like to do this in php, but I am open
to suggestions

I am going to place about 6 gigs of jpeg pictures on a web
server. And. I want to allow a user to go to a web page and type in
the name of a file, and if the file is found in the particular
directory on the server, the jpeg picuture will then be display in the
web browser.

I am thinking about just having a php script that will search
the particular directory, but I am not sure where to get started.
Also, will this bogg down the server.

And, in case anyone is wondering...this is being done for a
department at my university.

thanks,
Hostos

Will Stranathan

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Hostos) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hello All,
>
> I am going to place about 6 gigs of jpeg pictures on a web
> server. And. I want to allow a user to go to a web page and type in
> the name of a file, and if the file is found in the particular
> directory on the server, the jpeg picuture will then be display in the
> web browser.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the requirements, but why do you need
perl or PHP to do this? That's what webservers do already. Type in
the URL to a file, and the webserver retrieves it.