Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson printers and lightfastness measurements

Epson printers and lightfastness measurements

Mark Herring

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:52:00 -0000, "Canopus"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:W_vDb.154188$(E-Mail Removed) r.com...
>> Different inks.
>>
>> --
>>

>Excuse me if I sound ignorant, but, if it's just a matter of different inks
>then why can't we get cartridges with the good inks in for other Epson
>printers? For instance, I have the Photo 830 and I would have thought it
>would be possible to have a cartridge which fits it with the good, long
>lasting ink in. Do these long lasting inks also need a different, more
>expensive paper and does this different paper only fit printers that can use
>these high quality inks?
>
>Rob

You can get all manner of 3rd party inks for Epson printers:

MIS( www.inksupply.com)
Mediastreet
Lyson

Do a Google search on ink jet supplies, ink jet ink, ink jet
cartfirdges, etc.
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Bill Hilton

>From: "Canopus" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Do these long lasting inks also need a different, more
>expensive paper and does this different paper only fit printers that can use
>these high quality inks?

Some of the papers work on both the 1280 (dye) and 2200 (pigment), but not all,
like PGPP or Semi-gloss. Some papers only work well on one printer/ink combo
or the other, not both, like ColorLife for the 1280 and its counterpart Premium
Luster for the 2200. Some of the 2200 papers have no counterpart with the
1280, like Watercolor - Radiant White and Velvet Fine Art, which require a
different black ink and would look very dull on the 1280 inks.

Here's a link showing the papers than print well across different ink sets,
with the different estimated print longevity numbers. Some of the 2200 papers
are priced the same as their 1280 counterparts

http://www.inkjetart.com/news/longevity/index.html

> if it's just a matter of different inks then why can't we get cartridges
> with the good inks in for other Epson printers?

The inks and the printers are designed as a pair, you can't just put pigment
inks from the 2200 into a 1280, for example.

Bill

Canopus

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >From: "Canopus" (E-Mail Removed)

> >Do these long lasting inks also need a different, more
> >expensive paper and does this different paper only fit printers that can

use
> >these high quality inks?

> Some of the papers work on both the 1280 (dye) and 2200 (pigment), but not

all,
> like PGPP or Semi-gloss. Some papers only work well on one printer/ink

combo
> or the other, not both, like ColorLife for the 1280 and its counterpart

Premium
> Luster for the 2200. Some of the 2200 papers have no counterpart with the
> 1280, like Watercolor - Radiant White and Velvet Fine Art, which require a
> different black ink and would look very dull on the 1280 inks.
>
> Here's a link showing the papers than print well across different ink

sets,
> with the different estimated print longevity numbers. Some of the 2200

papers
> are priced the same as their 1280 counterparts
>
> http://www.inkjetart.com/news/longevity/index.html
>
> > if it's just a matter of different inks then why can't we get cartridges
> > with the good inks in for other Epson printers?

> The inks and the printers are designed as a pair, you can't just put

pigment
> inks from the 2200 into a 1280, for example.
>
> Bill

Hmmm!... 27 years life for my pictures then. Well, looks like they'll out
live me at least, if not I'll probably be too do lally by then to notice
:=((

Rob

John Horner

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I was on the Epson site looking at printers and thinking about getting
> myself a 1290 for Christmas, when I saw their lightfastness
> measurements. What I can't figure out - why would the 2100 produce
> photos that can last 75 years, while the 1290 can only produce photos
> that last 20? This is using the same paper.

Different inks. The 2100/2200 uses Epsons latest pigment ink system.

John

medians for degree measurements Steve Howell Python 15 01-25-2010 06:36 PM
Sensor resolution, any sites with actual measurements? Rich Digital Photography 21 03-08-2006 07:39 AM
Re: interpreting the fractional portion of time.clock() vs time.time()measurements Peter Hansen Python 0 02-22-2006 12:03 AM
memory measurements Eric Mahurin Ruby 9 09-23-2005 11:25 PM
Tkinter measurements John Velman Python 3 09-28-2004 04:29 PM

Advertisments