Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji S5000

Fuji S5000

CJ

Hi all, Christiana here... My husband just bought me the Fuji S5000
for our anniversary. Nice present, but as I've always been a point and
shoot, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
What with recovering from bronchitis as well, my patience level isn't
exactly where it would normally be
Can anyone tell me how you adjust the camera so it can take pictures
in low light conditions? I was taking pictures of my scottie puppy and
it was so dark you could just see there was a dog, but nothing clear.
Also, is there a good imaging/editing software program that's easier
or better than others?

Thanks
Christiana

Pierre D

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (CJ) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Hi all, Christiana here... My husband just bought me the Fuji S5000
> for our anniversary. Nice present, but as I've always been a point and
> shoot, I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Your camera is a point and shoot toy with poor resolution. No offense. Read
the reviews.

> What with recovering from bronchitis as well, my patience level isn't
> exactly where it would normally be
> Can anyone tell me how you adjust the camera so it can take pictures
> in low light conditions?

The lens on the camera is too slow to take good low light pictures without
a tripod.

Alan Browne

Divorce the SOB unless he gets you a Minolta A1, or better yet a Canon
D10 with 28-135 IS lens.

--
e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

Randy Davis

Have you tried it with the flash unit? The button is on the left side next
to the flash unit. Press the button and the flash will pop up. Ignore the
idiots who want to tell you how bad your camera is. If it works for you,
it's great.

Randy Davis

"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi all, Christiana here... My husband just bought me the Fuji S5000
> for our anniversary. Nice present, but as I've always been a point and
> shoot, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
> What with recovering from bronchitis as well, my patience level isn't
> exactly where it would normally be
> Can anyone tell me how you adjust the camera so it can take pictures
> in low light conditions? I was taking pictures of my scottie puppy and
> it was so dark you could just see there was a dog, but nothing clear.
> Also, is there a good imaging/editing software program that's easier
> or better than others?
>
> Thanks
> Christiana

Chris P in PA

I agree with Randy. I see alot of brand loyalists (trying to be PC
here) and on this NG.

The S5000 is a fine camera, and you can get lots for it and do lots
with it. It was a gift, so no looking the gift horse in teh mouth!

As to the suggestions on wehat to get.,...if you were a pro or serious
amature, yeah, there are other cameras, but then you wouldn't be
asking the question you are if you were!

Some people have no budget limitations, or think he who dies with the
most toys wins.

So to those that have a Canon 1D, 10D etc, and think that we who have
'lesser' cameras, I ask this...is your car a Ferrari, Rolls Royce or
Maybach? NO???? Then perhaps you should quit driving until you have
the best car there is.

If you cannot answer Christiana in some helpful way, you apparenlty
know less than you want us to believe, so if you want to preach, go to
some street corner - preferably in the bad section of town. At night.

chris

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:23:56 GMT, "Randy Davis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you tried it with the flash unit? The button is on the left side next
>to the flash unit. Press the button and the flash will pop up. Ignore the
>idiots who want to tell you how bad your camera is. If it works for you,
>it's great.
>
>Randy Davis
>
>"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Hi all, Christiana here... My husband just bought me the Fuji S5000
>> for our anniversary. Nice present, but as I've always been a point and
>> shoot, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
>> What with recovering from bronchitis as well, my patience level isn't
>> exactly where it would normally be
>> Can anyone tell me how you adjust the camera so it can take pictures
>> in low light conditions? I was taking pictures of my scottie puppy and
>> it was so dark you could just see there was a dog, but nothing clear.
>> Also, is there a good imaging/editing software program that's easier
>> or better than others?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Christiana

Kirk Davison

A few thing you can do here. The flash on this camera is great. Pop it up
and it will take a great picture of fido. The other option would be to
raise the iso to 800 but this has a number of problems with it such as only
one megapixal and noise. It must be very dark because the camera has a
fairly fast lens for a 10x zoom. Do not listen to what some of the brand
idiots have to say. I have a friend with a Canon g-3 and one with an
Olympus 740 something or other. All 3 take great pictures and all 3 take
bad pictures. Take a good shot from all 3 and you would be hard pressed to
tell them apart (although the g3 does not zoom as far
"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi all, Christiana here... My husband just bought me the Fuji S5000
> for our anniversary. Nice present, but as I've always been a point and
> shoot, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
> What with recovering from bronchitis as well, my patience level isn't
> exactly where it would normally be
> Can anyone tell me how you adjust the camera so it can take pictures
> in low light conditions? I was taking pictures of my scottie puppy and
> it was so dark you could just see there was a dog, but nothing clear.
> Also, is there a good imaging/editing software program that's easier
> or better than others?
>
> Thanks
> Christiana

Billy Radio

You have a fine camera, ignore the nimrods that tell you otherwise. All
digitals struggle somewhat in low light, my s5000 does the same. I have had
10 digital cameras starting with the old sony mavica and including the
digireb. S5000- It has a great zoom and feature set for the price point and
with a little work the pics can look great. Battery life is phenomenal, zoom
is unmatched by just a very few non dslr cameras. Do not up the ISO to 800
to shoot in low light, too much noise. Find more light. Camera is certainly
good enough to save 600 bucks for not having a bulky dslr not counting any
lens that will make a difference. Photoshop Elements is a great program you
can grown into over time and not spend a fortune. Some would also say Paint
Shop Pro, but I prefer elements. There is a nice s5000 website at
http://www.majgaj.com/s5000/

I have just recently found it.

Billy Radio

"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi all, Christiana here... My husband just bought me the Fuji S5000
> for our anniversary. Nice present, but as I've always been a point and
> shoot, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
> What with recovering from bronchitis as well, my patience level isn't
> exactly where it would normally be
> Can anyone tell me how you adjust the camera so it can take pictures
> in low light conditions? I was taking pictures of my scottie puppy and
> it was so dark you could just see there was a dog, but nothing clear.
> Also, is there a good imaging/editing software program that's easier
> or better than others?
>
> Thanks
> Christiana

Ante

"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi all, Christiana here... My husband just bought me the Fuji S5000
> for our anniversary. Nice present, but as I've always been a point and
> shoot, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
> What with recovering from bronchitis as well, my patience level isn't
> exactly where it would normally be
> Can anyone tell me how you adjust the camera so it can take pictures
> in low light conditions? I was taking pictures of my scottie puppy and
> it was so dark you could just see there was a dog, but nothing clear.
> Also, is there a good imaging/editing software program that's easier
> or better than others?
>
> Thanks
> Christiana

I have a new s5000 and I love it. I went to the store the other day to make
copies for the first time and I think they look great. I've discovered that
it might be hard to take pics in low light but with the flash they are
acceptable. I bought a small (20 cm high) tripod which I use when taking
pics in low loight. That way you can have a longer shutter speed and the
tripod was only about 10 Euro.

Talking about sotware there is no better than Photoshop 7 but since it is
rather expensive (more expensive than the camera itself) you might try
Paintshop Pro.

//A.

CJ

Thanks for the "support" from those who offered it, and/or offered
some reasonable advise.
I had no idea I would get jumped on for a simple question/request for
help. I was pretty sure it wasn't a crime to ask questions if you
didn't know something.
Ah well, there will always be those who know everything and don't like
to share.
I'm sorry there are those of who think theirs is the only brand that
should be used..ever.
I'm not an expert, never claimed to be, just had a problem and thought
some of you "experts" might be able and willing to help.
This is a good camera for my needs, and yes, I did my research before
hand.
If you can't help, fine, but I'd appreciate not being insulted.

Christiana

Ralph

Don't let the camera snobs get to you.
Did you try using the flash?