Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Movie exposure

Movie exposure

For example: John Smith

Can anyone please tell me which digital cameras will automatically and
continously adjust exposure while shooting a movie (pref 30fps)?

I tried a Canon Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400) but its exposure
remained fixed throughout the movie, resulting in over/under-exposed movies.

Ten

> Can anyone please tell me which digital cameras will automatically and
> continously adjust exposure while shooting a movie (pref 30fps)?

Minolta A1

> I tried a Canon Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400) but its exposure
> remained fixed throughout the movie, resulting in over/under-exposed

movies.

Yes, noticed that on my Ixus V3 (230) also.

Ten

Ron Hunter

For example: John Smith wrote:

> Can anyone please tell me which digital cameras will automatically and
> continously adjust exposure while shooting a movie (pref 30fps)?
>
> I tried a Canon Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400) but its exposure
> remained fixed throughout the movie, resulting in over/under-exposed movies.

My Kodak DX3600 does, but it is somewhat slow to respond, and won't
allow use of the zoom. NOt sure why some cameras impose such
restrictions on movie modes. Perhaps they are trying not to infringe on
the camcorder market.

agent yelow

For example: John Smith wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me which digital cameras will automatically and
> continously adjust exposure while shooting a movie (pref 30fps)?
>
> I tried a Canon Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400) but its exposure
> remained fixed throughout the movie, resulting in over/under-exposed movies.

get a dv camcorder instead of dicking with a digital camera for this

Ron Hunter

agent yelow wrote:
> For example: John Smith wrote:
>
>> Can anyone please tell me which digital cameras will automatically and
>> continously adjust exposure while shooting a movie (pref 30fps)?
>>
>> I tried a Canon Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400) but its exposure
>> remained fixed throughout the movie, resulting in over/under-exposed
>> movies.
>>

> get a dv camcorder instead of dicking with a digital camera for this

Sure, for a few 30 second clips I am going to carry another device, and
spend %500-$1500? I think not. With vd camcorders offering 3 mp stills
and some cameras offering 720x480 resolution movies, the product lines
seem to be merging.

gr

"For example: John Smith" <1@2.3> wrote

> Can anyone please tell me which digital cameras will automatically and
> continously adjust exposure while shooting a movie (pref 30fps)?
>
> I tried a Canon Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400) but its exposure
> remained fixed throughout the movie, resulting in over/under-exposed

movies.

I'm quite surprised at that. I figured all digicams would adjust the
exposure while in movie mode (my Olympus cameras do). Are you sure you've
got the camera controls set to automatic, and you're not using some manual
mode?

dsco

"For example: John Smith" <1@2.3> wrote:

>Can anyone please tell me which digital cameras will automatically and
>continously adjust exposure while shooting a movie (pref 30fps)?
>
>I tried a Canon Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400) but its exposure
>remained fixed throughout the movie, resulting in over/under-exposed movies.

The Casio Exilim EX-M2 automatically adjusts exposure during movies. As
far as "continuously", if you pan from a light to a dark scene or
vice-versa, the exposure adjustment occurs in noticeable steps. I believe
that all of the Exilims that will take movies will adjust exposure.

Bill

Maybe you missed my reply a few days ago. Fuji S602 (and the newer S7000)
adjust exposure during movie shooting. They are also the only digital
cameras, as far as I know, that can take full size VGA (640x480) movies at
30 frames per second, with audio.

Bill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...