Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Zoombrowser update - Caution

Zoombrowser update - Caution

Zol.

Hi All, I just wanted to let people know that an update is available at the Powershot ite
which takes Zoombrowser upto version 4.5.1 but be cautious as one of the files contains a
virus - I have emailed support and they should sort it. Even major corporations can get
infected so it`s always best to keep a virus checker AND make sure it is kept upto date
(just having one isn`t always enough these days)

files available from http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...ombrowser.html

Zol.

P.S. the infected file wasn`t actually neccessary for the update to work (launcher.exe) so
you should be safe to update if you wish

--
"May you find what you are looking for in the Window at the heart of the machine"

My Photo Galleries - http://www.byphotos.com/(E-Mail Removed)

Anti-Virus Software .... http://www.grisoft.com
Firewall Software ...... http://www.sygate.com/swat/default.htm
Spyware Removal ........ http://security.kolla.de/
Security Scan........... http://scan.sygatetech.com/

zbzbzb

>Hi All, I just wanted to let people know that an update is available at the
>Powershot ite
>which takes Zoombrowser upto version 4.5.1 but be cautious as one of the
>files contains a
>virus - I have emailed support and they should sort it. Even major
>corporations can get
>infected so it`s always best to keep a virus checker AND make sure it is kept
>upto date
>(just having one isn`t always enough these days)
>
>files available from
>http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...ombrowser.html
>
>Zol.

I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of course
with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know without
asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the file
offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are incapable of
making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed by
are no better.

Zol.

"zbzbzb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >Hi All, I just wanted to let people know that an update is available at the
> >Powershot ite
> >which takes Zoombrowser upto version 4.5.1 but be cautious as one of the
> >files contains a
> >virus - I have emailed support and they should sort it. Even major
> >corporations can get
> >infected so it`s always best to keep a virus checker AND make sure it is kept
> >upto date
> >(just having one isn`t always enough these days)
> >
> >files available from
> >http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...ombrowser.html
> >
> >Zol.

> I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of course
> with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know without
> asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the file
> offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are incapable of
> making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed by
> are no better.

This is mainly an update for people who don`t have version 4.5 & it does do a version check
before installing - as always you could read the documentation before downloading ... Zol.

Canopus

"zbzbzb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >Hi All, I just wanted to let people know that an update is available at

the
> >Powershot ite
> >which takes Zoombrowser upto version 4.5.1 but be cautious as one of the
> >files contains a
> >virus - I have emailed support and they should sort it. Even major
> >corporations can get
> >infected so it`s always best to keep a virus checker AND make sure it is

kept
> >upto date
> >(just having one isn`t always enough these days)
> >
> >files available from
> >http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...ombrowser.html
> >
> >Zol.

> I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of

course
> with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know

without
> asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the

file
> offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are

incapable of
> making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed

by
> are no better.

I had a similar problem with an Epson printer software update, the version
number changed from xx.xx.xx to xx.xx.b. I had to contact them to clarify
if it was a later version as normally software with a "b" tag indicates a
beta version.

Rob

zbzbzb

>> I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of
>course
>> with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know without
>> asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the

>file
>> offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are incapable

>of
>> making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed

>by
>> are no better.
>>

>This is mainly an update for people who don`t have version 4.5 & it does do a
>version check
>before installing - as always you could read the documentation before
>downloading ... Zol.

Where? That's basically my point. As for it doing a check before installing
I don't see how that is helpful if you have waasted time downloading it to
find out it wasn't necessary. If the version numbers were consistent one would
know right away it was different in some way.

zbzbzb

>I had a similar problem with an Epson printer software update, the version
>number changed from xx.xx.xx to xx.xx.b. I had to contact them to clarify
>if it was a later version as normally software with a "b" tag indicates a
>beta version.
>
>Rob

Exactly my point. So they wasted your time and their own time. Poor business
practice.

Andrew McConville

Hi Folks

As I (and a few others) posted in this thread:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...?TopicID=22268

I downloaded the update for Zoombrowser, it went through Zonealarm Pro
(latest) and Nav 2004 Pro (latest virus defs) and neither of these
complained. Have also since ran AdAware over my system and it stayed
quiet too (save for a data miner, but I know where I got that from) Also
got the manual with no probs too.

The installer ran without a hitch as do all the other canon software
updates from that site - About box now says ver 4.5.1.148

I note the that the poster who found a virus in that thread was also
running AVG.... Just an observation.... I am not trying to diss AVG -
hey its free! (or the original poster for using it for that matter ), I
used to use it, quite liked it too, but I found that it would pick up
viruses where there weren't any, which cheesed me off and is the main
reason I stopped using it. Nor am I trying to start a flame war about
which AV product is best (that has been done to death elsewhere I am
sure!) - norton isnt perfect but it does the job (for me anyways).

Hope this helps/clears things up

Andrew

Zol. wrote:

> Hi All, I just wanted to let people know that an update is available at the Powershot ite
> which takes Zoombrowser upto version 4.5.1 but be cautious as one of the files contains a
> virus - I have emailed support and they should sort it. Even major corporations can get
> infected so it`s always best to keep a virus checker AND make sure it is kept upto date
> (just having one isn`t always enough these days)
>
> files available from http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...ombrowser.html
>
> Zol.
>
> P.S. the infected file wasn`t actually neccessary for the update to work (launcher.exe) so
> you should be safe to update if you wish

zbzbzb

>Hi Folks
>
>As I (and a few others) posted in this thread:
>http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...?TopicID=22268
>
>I downloaded the update for Zoombrowser, it went through Zonealarm Pro
>(latest) and Nav 2004 Pro (latest virus defs) and neither of these
>complained. Have also since ran AdAware over my system and it stayed
>quiet too (save for a data miner, but I know where I got that from) Also
>got the manual with no probs too.
>
>The installer ran without a hitch as do all the other canon software
>updates from that site - About box now says ver 4.5.1.148
>
> I note the that the poster who found a virus in that thread was also
>running AVG.... Just an observation.... I am not trying to diss AVG -
>hey its free! (or the original poster for using it for that matter ), I
>used to use it, quite liked it too, but I found that it would pick up
>viruses where there weren't any, which cheesed me off and is the main
>reason I stopped using it. Nor am I trying to start a flame war about
>which AV product is best (that has been done to death elsewhere I am
>sure!) - norton isnt perfect but it does the job (for me anyways).
>
>Hope this helps/clears things up
>
>Andrew

Thank you Andrew. The version I have on a new disc is the same 4.5.1.148.
Stupid that that isn't the number you are told before downloading and
installing.

Canopus

"Andrew McConville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fdcd58d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks
>
> As I (and a few others) posted in this thread:
> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...?TopicID=22268
>
> I downloaded the update for Zoombrowser, it went through Zonealarm Pro
> (latest) and Nav 2004 Pro (latest virus defs) and neither of these
> complained. Have also since ran AdAware over my system and it stayed
> quiet too (save for a data miner, but I know where I got that from) Also
> got the manual with no probs too.
>
> The installer ran without a hitch as do all the other canon software
> updates from that site - About box now says ver 4.5.1.148
>
> I note the that the poster who found a virus in that thread was also
> running AVG.... Just an observation.... I am not trying to diss AVG -
> hey its free! (or the original poster for using it for that matter ), I
> used to use it, quite liked it too, but I found that it would pick up
> viruses where there weren't any, which cheesed me off and is the main
> reason I stopped using it. Nor am I trying to start a flame war about
> which AV product is best (that has been done to death elsewhere I am
> sure!) - norton isnt perfect but it does the job (for me anyways).
>
> Hope this helps/clears things up
>
> Andrew

In that case it sounds like more of a problem with holistic scanning rather
than checking against virus definitions. I tend to turn off holistic
scanning as I've found it can lead to too many false positives. Then,
better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

Rob

Zol.

"zbzbzb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of

> >course
> >> with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know without
> >> asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the

> >file
> >> offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are incapable

> >of
> >> making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed

> >by
> >> are no better.
> >>

> >This is mainly an update for people who don`t have version 4.5 & it does do a
> >version check
> >before installing - as always you could read the documentation before
> >downloading ... Zol.
> >

> Where? That's basically my point. As for it doing a check before installing
> I don't see how that is helpful if you have waasted time downloading it to
> find out it wasn't necessary. If the version numbers were consistent one would
> know right away it was different in some way.

If you read the page you will get what the differences are :-

here is a snippet -

.. ZoomBrowser EX Update History

Major specifications of ZoomBrowser EX 4.0.2 compared to v2.x / 3.x:
1. Much Improved image database reliability. (New database system)
2. Much Improved Performance.
3. New image management without registering images in the database.
4. Much improved usability of the Task and Wizard methods.
5. Completely redesigned user interface.
6. Supported OS: Windows 98 (including Second Edition), Windows Me, Windows 2000 and Windows
XP.

Major specifications of ZoomBrowser EX 4.0.x to ZoomBrowser EX 4.1:
1. Thumbnails are available from Movie files.
2. Support connection of full PTP cameras (PowerShot SD100, A70, A60, S400, G5, A300, S50)

Major specifications of ZoomBrowser EX 4.1 to ZoomBrowser EX 4.5.0:
1. Ability to download images from the camera to the PC automatically.
2. Added Preview Mode
3. Added CD-R/RW backup function (Windows XP only)
4. File export function (Resize/Rename batch conversion), Exporting shooting information,
screen saver maker.

Major specifications of ZoomBrowser EX 4.5.0 to ZoomBrowser EX 4.5.1a:
1. Search Image Task (Includes favorite mark)
2. Added RemoteCapture Task - The functions of the stand-alone application RemoteCapture are
now integrated into ZoomBrowser EX 4.5.1a as "RemoteCapture Task". RemoteCapture Task
supports: PowerShot A80, SD100, A70, A60, S400, G5, A300 and S50 (As of Nov. 2003). The
PowerShot SD10 does not have RemoteCapture functionality. For other cameras, use the
stand-alone version of RemoteCapture included with your camera.
3. The problem with rotating RAW images correctly is fixed.
4. The problem with SlideShow/DPOF setting the PowerShot S110 is fixed.
5. Connectivity of the PowerShot S10 and PowerShot S20 is improved.
6. A temporary file attribute that was added to files when downloading them from the camera
to the PC using CameraWindow was removed. For images previously downloaded with earlier
versions of ZoomBrowser 4.x, a utility is available here to remove the temporary file
attributes.

it clearly tells you there exactly what they have done in plain english, it`s the update
history so that you can see if you have any problem listed or just want to keep the program
upto date ... Zol.