Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Interpolated pixels e.g. 2MP Effective 4MP Interpolated???

Interpolated pixels e.g. 2MP Effective 4MP Interpolated???

Phnix

Is this just a gimmick?

If you understand what the interpolated pixel feature does can you explain
it? maybe with reference to the following questions.

Is there any real use for this feature on a digital camera? Will it improve
prints? If so can software on a computer do just as good a job?

Phnix

Phnix wrote:
> Is this just a gimmick?
>
> If you understand what the interpolated pixel feature does can you
> explain it? maybe with reference to the following questions.

Found myself this page which explained a lot.

http://www.americaswonderlands.com/image_resizing.htm

> Is there any real use for this feature on a digital camera?

So yes I guess but very limited.

> Will it
> improve prints?

If printing large enough

> If so can software on a computer do just as good a
> job?

Yes and better, more appropriate for use.

Feels like bad form to reply to my own post, feel free to join in.

Mark Herring

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:27:42 -0000, "Phnix" <mindyouownbusiness>
wrote:

>Is this just a gimmick?

YES---marketing hype. Fuji is the current worst offender

>If you understand what the interpolated pixel feature does can you explain
>it? maybe with reference to the following questions.
>
>Is there any real use for this feature on a digital camera?

NO
>Will it improve
>prints?

maybe--see below
>If so can software on a computer do just as good a job?

Up-sampling (interpolation)--in the camera or the computer---is uesful
to removed the jaggies and maybe to smooth out some noise and other
artifacts. It can never add to the inherent resoltuion of the
image---even if you are using Fuji super CCD diagonal pixels.

More control if you just take basic pix at full camera resolution and
then do the processing in the computer.

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Zol.

"Phnix" <mindyouownbusiness> wrote in message
news:3fdc6550$0$13355$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Phnix wrote:
> > Is this just a gimmick?
> >
> > If you understand what the interpolated pixel feature does can you
> > explain it? maybe with reference to the following questions.
> >

> Found myself this page which explained a lot.
>
> http://www.americaswonderlands.com/image_resizing.htm
>

> > Is there any real use for this feature on a digital camera?

> So yes I guess but very limited.
>
> > Will it
> > improve prints?

> If printing large enough
>
> > If so can software on a computer do just as good a
> > job?

> Yes and better, more appropriate for use.
>
> Feels like bad form to reply to my own post, feel free to join in.

Everybody talks to themselves sometimes

You may want to check out Genuine Frcatals from http://www.lizardtech.com/solutions/gf/ - it
can produce larger printable versions of your images without tremendous loss of quality - of
course you will need Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to use the plug in and get the
bennifits - they also have a starter edition which appears good value ... Zol.

Dave Martindale

Mark Herring <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Up-sampling (interpolation)--in the camera or the computer---is uesful
>to removed the jaggies and maybe to smooth out some noise and other
>artifacts. It can never add to the inherent resoltuion of the
>image---even if you are using Fuji super CCD diagonal pixels.

In the case of the Fuji cameras, the higher output resolution is
necessary to *retain* the resolution captured by the camera. A 3 MP
Fuji camera writing a 3 MP output image provides less total information
than other 3 MP cameras. A 3 MP Fuji camera writing a 6 MP image
provides the same total information as other 3 MP cameras, and more
horizontal/vertical resolution.

Whether the increase in horizontal/vertical resolution is useful is a
subject for debate, but the interpolation used in the camera is
*necessary* to retain that information while rotating the sampling grid.
It is not empty magnification like "digital zoom" on other cameras.

Dave

Michael J Davis

Dave Martindale <(E-Mail Removed)> observed
>Mark Herring <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>Up-sampling (interpolation)--in the camera or the computer---is uesful
>>to removed the jaggies and maybe to smooth out some noise and other
>>artifacts. It can never add to the inherent resoltuion of the
>>image---even if you are using Fuji super CCD diagonal pixels.

>In the case of the Fuji cameras, the higher output resolution is
>necessary to *retain* the resolution captured by the camera. A 3 MP
>Fuji camera writing a 3 MP output image provides less total information
>than other 3 MP cameras. A 3 MP Fuji camera writing a 6 MP image
>provides the same total information as other 3 MP cameras, and more
>horizontal/vertical resolution.
>
>Whether the increase in horizontal/vertical resolution is useful is a
>subject for debate, but the interpolation used in the camera is
>*necessary* to retain that information while rotating the sampling grid.
>It is not empty magnification like "digital zoom" on other cameras.

Very well put, Dave!

Mike
Michael J Davis
<><
Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
<><