Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Differences between Canon A70 and A80?

Differences between Canon A70 and A80?

Anthony Buckland

There's a lot of review material available on the net for the A70, but
little for the A80.
In stores I get the line that they're identical but for a couple of
extra modes in the A80,
an extra Mp, and the neat swivelling digital viewfinder. But digging
through what
little comment I can find on the net, I find there are more differences
than that, most
specifically that the lens differs, having been reengineered to make
room for the
aforementioned swivelling viewfinder.

So, have people in this group noticed other differences? Does the A80
lens perform
at least as well in all respects as that in the A70? Have there been
any degradations
in any spec or performance statistic people came to love in the A70?
Has a thorough
review been done somewhere I haven't looked yet?

Thanks.

Robert E. Williams

A70 sensor is smaller (1/2.7" vs 1/1.8" for the A80)
Lens is different. Mainly to accommodate the larger sensor in the A80.
Go to Steve's Digicams and check on "Specifications"
Lots of differences
Bob Williams

Anthony Buckland wrote:

> There's a lot of review material available on the net for the A70, but
> little for the A80.
> In stores I get the line that they're identical but for a couple of
> extra modes in the A80,
> an extra Mp, and the neat swivelling digital viewfinder. But digging
> through what
> little comment I can find on the net, I find there are more differences
> than that, most
> specifically that the lens differs, having been reengineered to make
> room for the
> aforementioned swivelling viewfinder.
>
> So, have people in this group noticed other differences? Does the A80
> lens perform
> at least as well in all respects as that in the A70? Have there been
> any degradations
> in any spec or performance statistic people came to love in the A70?
> Has a thorough
> review been done somewhere I haven't looked yet?
>
> Thanks.

Dave Martindale

Anthony Buckland <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>There's a lot of review material available on the net for the A70, but
>little for the A80.
>In stores I get the line that they're identical but for a couple of
>extra modes in the A80,
>an extra Mp, and the neat swivelling digital viewfinder.

What you're missing is that the A80 has the same 4 MP sensor as the very
good Canon G2/G3 series. The A70 uses a physically smaller CCD.
Although the A80 has more pixels, each pixel on the sensor has more area
and so the image should have lower noise - comparable to the G3.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of the tilt/swivel LCD either.

Basically, the A80 is closer to a G2 than to the A70.

Dave