Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The DSLR Market In A Year?

The DSLR Market In A Year?

Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

What do you think the typical DSLR specifications will be in a year? A ten
megapixel for under 1K?

R2D2

"Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What do you think the typical DSLR specifications will be in a year? A
> ten megapixel for under 1K?

No way! Prices will stay about the same for a few years. We may see more
models to choose from, like the Nikon D70 and the upcoming Minolta Maxxum
Dslr.

Bill Hilton

>> What do you think the typical DSLR specifications will be in a year? A
>> ten megapixel for under 1K?

>From: R2D2 http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>No way! Prices will stay about the same for a few years.

Keep in mind that the Canon dRebel sells for about $800 yet it's basically
built on a $200 film body, and the 10D sells for about $1,500 yet is built on a
~ $400 film body. Both have only about $40-50 worth of electronics to make
them digital instead of film.

There's still a lot of room for prices to drop on these and similar models.

Don Coon

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What do you think the typical DSLR specifications will be in a year? A
> >> ten megapixel for under 1K?

> >From: R2D2 (E-Mail Removed)

> >No way! Prices will stay about the same for a few years.

> Keep in mind that the Canon dRebel sells for about $800 yet it's basically
> built on a $200 film body, and the 10D sells for about $1,500 yet is built

on a
> ~ $400 film body. Both have only about $40-50 worth of electronics to

make
> them digital instead of film.
>
> There's still a lot of room for prices to drop on these and similar

models.

$40-$50??? The sensor alone probably costs more than that. I think you're
way off but have no objective data to offer; do you?

Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What do you think the typical DSLR specifications will be in a year? A
> >> ten megapixel for under 1K?

> >From: R2D2 (E-Mail Removed)

> >No way! Prices will stay about the same for a few years.

> Keep in mind that the Canon dRebel sells for about $800 yet it's basically
> built on a $200 film body, and the 10D sells for about $1,500 yet is built

on a
> ~ $400 film body. Both have only about $40-50 worth of electronics to

make
> them digital instead of film.
>
> There's still a lot of room for prices to drop on these and similar

models.

And more competition in the digital camera arena. My feeling is that the
digital camera consumer is a lot better informed than the typical film
camera buyer who went to a local camera store and was persuaded by a
salesperson trying to get the largest commission. The digital camera buyer
has access to reviews and so forth. Name brands such as Nikon will not have
the weight in the digital market as they do in film since people will be
wanting overall performance.

I am waiting for the Nikon D70 since I have some Nikon lenses. But I am more
than open to getting something else if the D70 turns out to be the minimum
camera it can be to target its market. I won't buy it for the NIKON
lettering.

Right now I am using a Sony P72 and am very impressed with it. If Sony makes
a DSLR I would give it serious consideration.

Richard S

Can you point me to any information on "upcoming Minolta Maxxum Dlsr"

Thanks.

On 13 Dec 2003 18:14:14 GMT, R2D2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> What do you think the typical DSLR specifications will be in a year? A
>> ten megapixel for under 1K?
>>

>No way! Prices will stay about the same for a few years. We may see more
>models to choose from, like the Nikon D70 and the upcoming Minolta Maxxum
>Dslr.

bmoag

Prices do not reflect the cost of production but what the market will pay. I
would assume that fabrication costs for imaging sensors are somewhat higher
than for CPUs because the volume is not as great, the physical size of the
sensor is larger than a CPU and there may be a lower tolerance for defects.
While there is no real structural difference between Athlon or Pentium CPUs
that run at different clock speeds there are obvious differences between 2
and 5mp imaging sensors that have the same physical size. Apart from the
imaging sensor itself the cost of the electronics in a digital camera is not
all that great but no one outside of the manufacturers knows the real cost.
One reason is that the electronics are the same across camera lines and
brands, both vertically and horizontally. The electronic innards of a Canon
D10 and Digital Rebel are identical. I would assume the same relationship
holds among high and low end p&S digital cameras as it is the volume of the
parts sold, and not their components, that more determines the cost of
manufacturing electronics.

Paolo Pizzi

Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³ wrote:

> What do you think the typical DSLR specifications will be in a year?
> A ten megapixel for under 1K?

Don't get your hopes too high...

Tough competition will *probably* result in the Nikon D70 (and
Minolta, and possibly other brands) being better than the Canon
300D in the sub-$1000 market, but they will all have 6mp cropped
sensors.

Paolo Pizzi

Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³ wrote:

> I am waiting for the Nikon D70 since I have some Nikon
> lenses. But I am more than open to getting something else
> if the D70 turns out to be the minimum camera it can be to
> target its market.

I'd be really surprised if the D70 turned out to be a
really bad DSLR.OTOH I don't expect it to include
all the features of the D100.

Let's see if my predictions will be anywhere on target:

- No spot metering.
- Smaller buffer.
- No anti-shock.
- Somewhat less sophisticated AF.
- Single setting bank (the double bank
is useful, but not really indispensable.)
- Not compatible with MB-100 (meaning
no voice annotation, no vertical grip, no
extended battery life, no MC-20 use.)
- No ISO 3200-6400 (never used it with
my D100, IMHO not really a great loss...)

It would still be better than the 300D, which is clearly
the benchmark Nikon is set to beat.
If the D70 turns out to be more crippled than the above,
then Nikon will totally lose the sub-1K market.

> If Sony makes a DSLR I would give it serious consideration.

I don't believe they will, but you never know... Probably
they will make more DSLR sensors to sell to Nikon and
other brands.

Paolo Pizzi

bmoag wrote:

> Prices do not reflect the cost of production but what the
> market will pay.

Not true for NEW equipment. Costs are very important
to determine the price.

> The electronic innards of a Canon D10 and Digital Rebel
> are identical.

....yet the 300D costs $500 less. True, but that proves my
point, since the very same components already paid off
with the D60 and 10D and now they can sell them at a
lower price (but since the 10D is still in production, they
had to cripple the 300D or else the 10D would no longer
sell.)