Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Viewers are the best albums! Best digital photo & picture organizing

Viewers are the best albums! Best digital photo & picture organizing

Morgan Ohlson

To keep things simple, its best to store photos and pictures just in
ordinary folders. Keep it standard and easy understandable.

The good viewer collect pictures automatic from subfolders or not, to your
liking. You can also search picture names, ixif, iptc and jpeg-comments.
The viewer shows the choosen pictures in nice thumbnails in a few formats
according to your liking, monitor size etc. (Backgrounds can easily be
choosen from a palette of neutral colors)

From your viewer you can organize, cut&paste, drag&drop between folders and
show your pictures as dia-show, randomly etc.

This way no "difficoult to understand" album is needed. Keep it simple and
just use your viewer as a search, organizer and show tool.

The deluxe viewer will have simple multiphoto-page-printing and printable
reports

For these tasks a stand alone product may be the best.
# Batch resizeing and formatting
# HTML-web-album creation (personal templates etc.)
# Creative album-lay-out and printing
# Photo enhancement and editors
# Noise reduction software (or as plug-ins)
# Photo transfering Digicam - PC (native)

This is what i think. Now you may state your complaints ;o) or hint
about the best viewers around.

Morgan O.

Norm

No comment on your statement other then to agree with what you say. To me
Irfanview has got to be the best viewer around, don't know what I would do
without it.

"Morgan Ohlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:w_DCb.38010$(E-Mail Removed)...
> To keep things simple, its best to store photos and pictures just in
> ordinary folders. Keep it standard and easy understandable.
>
> The good viewer collect pictures automatic from subfolders or not, to your
> liking. You can also search picture names, ixif, iptc and jpeg-comments.
> The viewer shows the choosen pictures in nice thumbnails in a few formats
> according to your liking, monitor size etc. (Backgrounds can easily be
> choosen from a palette of neutral colors)
>
> From your viewer you can organize, cut&paste, drag&drop between folders

and
> show your pictures as dia-show, randomly etc.
>
> This way no "difficoult to understand" album is needed. Keep it simple and
> just use your viewer as a search, organizer and show tool.
>
> The deluxe viewer will have simple multiphoto-page-printing and printable
> reports
>

> For these tasks a stand alone product may be the best.
> # Batch resizeing and formatting
> # HTML-web-album creation (personal templates etc.)
> # Creative album-lay-out and printing
> # Photo enhancement and editors
> # Noise reduction software (or as plug-ins)
> # Photo transfering Digicam - PC (native)
>
> This is what i think. Now you may state your complaints ;o) or hint
> about the best viewers around.
>
> Morgan O.

Andy Hewitt

Morgan Ohlson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<Snipped Text>
> For these tasks a stand alone product may be the best.
> # Batch resizeing and formatting
> # HTML-web-album creation (personal templates etc.)
> # Creative album-lay-out and printing
> # Photo enhancement and editors
> # Noise reduction software (or as plug-ins)
> # Photo transfering Digicam - PC (native)
>
> This is what i think. Now you may state your complaints ;o) or hint
> about the best viewers around.

Well, yes, I agree. Although I actually run *both* systems myself. For
batch processing though there is very little that can even come close to
the features of Graphic Converter on the Mac [1]. This also makes an
extremely good viewer too. For web page design, or at least a very quick
and easy page, I use Apple's iPhoto for that.

Sometimes, just for viewing and quick editing, the software that comes
with the camera can be quite sufficient. The Minolta software even has a
curve tool, which is almost indispensible IMHO.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
Windows free zone (Mac G3)

Morgan Ohlson

"Andy Hewitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:1g5x1ei.1ckwmjm13xxm5cN%(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Morgan Ohlson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Naturally all picture data (exif, jpg, iptc) and renaming shall be edited
from same screen

> <Snipped Text>
> > For these tasks a stand alone product may be the best.
> > # Batch resizeing and formatting
> > # HTML-web-album creation (personal templates etc.)
> > # Creative album-lay-out and printing
> > # Photo enhancement and editors
> > # Noise reduction software (or as plug-ins)
> > # Photo transfering Digicam - PC (native)
> >
> > This is what i think. Now you may state your complaints ;o) or

hint
> > about the best viewers around.

> Well, yes, I agree. Although I actually run *both* systems myself. For
> batch processing though there is very little that can even come close to
> the features of Graphic Converter on the Mac [1]. This also makes an
> extremely good viewer too. For web page design, or at least a very quick
> and easy page, I use Apple's iPhoto for that.
>
> Sometimes, just for viewing and quick editing, the software that comes
> with the camera can be quite sufficient. The Minolta software even has a
> curve tool, which is almost indispensible IMHO.

What kind of curve tool.... can it shoot around corners ) ?

Morgan O.

Nigel R

Hi All,

Despite searching newsgroups I also am having trouble finding
practical image organizing software for a digital camera.

Have tried the view/management software that comes with Casio Photo
Loader - pretty awful. A key problem is, it does not offer sensible
compression/resizing for quick emailing via say, Outlook Express. So
for the QV-R40 camera I am looking for something better.

Tried Kodak's Easyshare - again, no email support and does not import
from the Casio (though supplied with it).

Tried Fotoalbum. Handles the folder structure (that the Casio loader
software forces on you) a bit confusingly and no email program linking
support.

Have heard good reviews about some 'Thumbs.x' or such named programs
but do not know if they support any usb camera image importing system
or quick compress & resize to Outlook Express that I need.

Whatever software I get, should be set-up-able for a person with
moderate computer knowledge so they can load in the images from
camera, email the pics easily and maybe do a little image work via
Paint Shop Pro for example.

Does anyone have a suggestion that is economical and where the
download is < 10MB ?

Thanks
Nigel

www.bb-china.com

"Morgan Ohlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<JvfDb.38432$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Andy Hewitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:1g5x1ei.1ckwmjm13xxm5cN%(E-Mail Removed) et...
> > Morgan Ohlson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> Naturally all picture data (exif, jpg, iptc) and renaming shall be edited
> from same screen
>

> > <Snipped Text>
> > > For these tasks a stand alone product may be the best.
> > > # Batch resizeing and formatting
> > > # HTML-web-album creation (personal templates etc.)
> > > # Creative album-lay-out and printing
> > > # Photo enhancement and editors
> > > # Noise reduction software (or as plug-ins)
> > > # Photo transfering Digicam - PC (native)
> > >
> > > This is what i think. Now you may state your complaints ;o) or

> hint

Morgan Ohlson

"Nigel R" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi All,
>
> Despite searching newsgroups I also am having trouble finding
> practical image organizing software for a digital camera.
>
> Have tried the view/management software that comes with Casio Photo
> Loader - pretty awful. A key problem is, it does not offer sensible
> compression/resizing for quick emailing via say, Outlook Express. So
> for the QV-R40 camera I am looking for something better.

After thinking very intense on the subject for a while, I say that it's
mainly a "thinking problem". Organizing pictures is like normal file
management with some extensions. Those new things you like to do with pic's
is what's the problem.

When or if you first descide what you like to do with the pic's everything
gets more easy.

Read below in several topics about keywords storage /storing /back-up and
CD.

> Tried Kodak's Easyshare - again, no email support and does not import
> from the Casio (though supplied with it).
>
> Tried Fotoalbum. Handles the folder structure (that the Casio loader
> software forces on you) a bit confusingly and no email program linking
> support.
>
> Have heard good reviews about some 'Thumbs.x' or such named programs
> but do not know if they support any usb camera image importing system
> or quick compress & resize to Outlook Express that I need.

As you may have observed I definitely recommend viewers instead of albums. A
good viewer let you organize your pictures in the standard OS environment
whith some extra search function added.
Albums, in may belief is only for printing multi pic pages to for old aunt
Marthas RL photoalbum.

> Whatever software I get, should be set-up-able for a person with
> moderate computer knowledge so they can load in the images from
> camera, email the pics easily and maybe do a little image work via
> Paint Shop Pro for example.

Viewers is _it_! Drop albums, it's only confuseing.

For rookies I would not recommend PSp
Start out with Adobe Photo Delux. Unfortunately discontinued product since a
year back.

> Does anyone have a suggestion that is economical and where the
> download is < 10MB ?

Look into free viewers at Tucows and WebAttack.
I'try XnView at the moment. It's HiQ, but I'm not shure if it's THE
solution.

Morgan O.

Nigel R

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Interesting reading.

Since I entered this thread I did hunt around & found Fototime
Fotoalbum Pro.

It really does appear to do everything I want including no-brainer
resize & compress to Outlook Express of pics based on presets. Alas,
on Windows 98 the MAPI linking fails to work (OK on Win2K) so the link
to Outlook Extress fails (but the built-in email from this prog does
work if set up). I was really suprised to get a reply from Fototime's
tech support on New Year's day! They said they'd try to reproduce the
problem, but were pessimistic as MAPI is a known headache esp on
Win98.

I hear what you are saying about Viewers & will check some. But do any
have a resize & compress facility with link to one's default email
program?

Cheers - Nigel
www.bb-beijing.com

Morgan Ohlson

"Nigel R" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Thanks for the suggestions folks. Interesting reading.
>
> Since I entered this thread I did hunt around & found Fototime
> Fotoalbum Pro.
>
> It really does appear to do everything I want including no-brainer
> resize & compress to Outlook Express of pics based on presets. Alas,
> on Windows 98 the MAPI linking fails to work (OK on Win2K) so the link
> to Outlook Extress fails (but the built-in email from this prog does
> work if set up). I was really suprised to get a reply from Fototime's
> tech support on New Year's day! They said they'd try to reproduce the
> problem, but were pessimistic as MAPI is a known headache esp on
> Win98.
>
> I hear what you are saying about Viewers & will check some. But do any
> have a resize & compress facility with link to one's default email
> program?

Does it keep track on iptc-data?

Morgan O.

Nigel R

Hi Morgan,

Here is an extract from Fototime pro's Help - I'm sure this is not
real pro's program but if you evaluate it, let me know what you think.

Data that is imported (extracted) from EXIFF
FotoAlbum can display all of the different types of Metadata that can
be stored within images. While EXIF is the most prominent, FotoAlbum
can also display: IPTC, APP12, CIFF, and FlashPix.

FotoAlbum auto-extracts the picture date and caption from images. The
picture date is extracted from one of several EXIF tags depending on
what values are present. In addition, picture dates are also extracted
from the other formats automatically