Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Oly C5060 - Why a Proprietary Battery?

Oly C5060 - Why a Proprietary Battery?

Paul D. Sullivan

The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!

Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement that
uses PROPRIETARY batteries instead of the awesome AA
rechargeables?

Am I missing something?

This was one of the best things about the C5050 and one of the
reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done this.

Anyone know what gives?

Thanks

R2D2

> Anyone know what gives?
>
> Thanks

They want to make more money by selling you batteries instead of asking for
a higher price for the camera.

Robert E. Williams

"Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:

> The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
>
> Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement that
> uses PROPRIETARY batteries instead of the awesome AA
> rechargeables?
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> This was one of the best things about the C5050 and one of the
> reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done this.
>
> Anyone know what gives?
>
> Thanks

It's all about money!
Just be glad they didn't force you into xD-only memory, like they did to
C-50 and C5000 owners
Bob Williams

Paul D. Sullivan

I'm so glad I bought the C5050 - it really is a great camera.

I would never have gotten the C5060 - not at all.

It is such a versatile, complete camera. I have a 512 CF card
and will maybe get a 512 xD when prices drop, to supplement
the CF.

I am glad I learned so much about the camera here before I bought
it. You guys were totally helpful when I was learning about what
camera to get. I'm still grateful for all the help, because as I
use the Oly C5050 more and more, thousands of pics by now, I
continue to appreciate what a great camera it really is.

> "Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:
>
>> The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
>>
>> Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement that
>> uses PROPRIETARY batteries instead of the awesome AA
>> rechargeables?
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> This was one of the best things about the C5050 and one of the
>> reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done
>> this.
>>
>> Anyone know what gives?
>>
>> Thanks

> It's all about money!
> Just be glad they didn't force you into xD-only memory, like
> they did to C-50 and C5000 owners
> Bob Williams

Paul D. Sullivan

Bummer man, mega bummer.

Thanks

>> Anyone know what gives?
>>
>> Thanks

> They want to make more money by selling you batteries instead
> of asking for a higher price for the camera.

Mike Hill

On 13 Dec 2003 07:50:31 GMT, R2D2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Anyone know what gives?
>>
>> Thanks

>They want to make more money by selling you batteries instead of asking for
>a higher price for the camera.

You really should read the specs on the battery though. It is a
particulary brilliant one
Mike.
--

'02 GSF1200 in silver
Email address spamtrapped.

Matti Vuori

"Paul D. Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:5kzCb.1750$(E-Mail Removed):
> The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
>
> Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement

But isn't.

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

Patrick Boch

Certainly agree.. Facts are...Most of us have a ton of NIMH......

--
__________________________
Patrick George Boch

"Paul D. Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5kzCb.1750$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
>
> Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement that
> uses PROPRIETARY batteries instead of the awesome AA
> rechargeables?
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> This was one of the best things about the C5050 and one of the
> reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done this.
>
> Anyone know what gives?
>
> Thanks

PhotoMan

"Paul D. Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5kzCb.1750$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
>
> Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement that
> uses PROPRIETARY batteries instead of the awesome AA
> rechargeables?
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> This was one of the best things about the C5050 and one of the
> reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done this.
>
> Anyone know what gives?

Ever hear of a captive customer?
Joe Arnold

peter

perhaps to make the camera appear smaller or lighter?