Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S300 Digital Camera is not functioning properly

Canon S300 Digital Camera is not functioning properly

JR

I own a Canon PowerShot S300, which has been an excellent camera.
However, it recently began having a problem. It seems to be defective
and in need of repair. Please let me know if anyone can help.

When I turn the camera on, it does the following depending on which
mode the camera is in:

Replay Mode: The Upper Indicator light flashes green once, and the
Power Lamp remains lit with a green light. Nothing is displayed on
the LCD monitor, and none of the menu, zoom, or display buttons have
any effect on the camera.

Shooting Modes: The Upper Indicator light flashes green repeatedly
while the lens comes out, then the lens retracts, after which there is
no response to any button. At this point, the Upper Indicator light is
off and the Power Lamp remains lit with a green light, but even
pressing the on/off button fails to cause any action. In fact, the
only way to turn off the Power Lamp is to switch the Mode Dial to
Replay Mode, then the power can be turned off.

The camera works fine when connected to a computer via USB. I've tried
using different batteries. Every once in a while the camera will
start to work properly: in Replay Mode it will display images on the
LCD monitor, but after a few seconds it will turn off and revert to
its disfunctional mode. In Shooting Mode, the camera may even take a
few pictures, but when it turns itself off, the lens doesn't retract,
and all power is off--there is no response from the on/off button--as
if no battery is present. The only way to get the lens to retract is
to wait a while and try turning on the power. Eventually, the camera
will respond by going into the disfunctional mode as described above,
and the lens will then retract.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

jriegle

I know you said that you changed the batteries, but you may want to remove
the batteries for several minutes to be sure the camera's memory registers
are cleared. There's a small possibility that a "cold boot" would clear the
problem.
John

"JR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I own a Canon PowerShot S300, which has been an excellent camera.
> However, it recently began having a problem. It seems to be defective
> and in need of repair. Please let me know if anyone can help.
>
> When I turn the camera on, it does the following depending on which
> mode the camera is in:
>
> Replay Mode: The Upper Indicator light flashes green once, and the
> Power Lamp remains lit with a green light. Nothing is displayed on
> the LCD monitor, and none of the menu, zoom, or display buttons have
> any effect on the camera.
>
> Shooting Modes: The Upper Indicator light flashes green repeatedly
> while the lens comes out, then the lens retracts, after which there is
> no response to any button. At this point, the Upper Indicator light is
> off and the Power Lamp remains lit with a green light, but even
> pressing the on/off button fails to cause any action. In fact, the
> only way to turn off the Power Lamp is to switch the Mode Dial to
> Replay Mode, then the power can be turned off.
>
> The camera works fine when connected to a computer via USB. I've tried
> using different batteries. Every once in a while the camera will
> start to work properly: in Replay Mode it will display images on the
> LCD monitor, but after a few seconds it will turn off and revert to
> its disfunctional mode. In Shooting Mode, the camera may even take a
> few pictures, but when it turns itself off, the lens doesn't retract,
> and all power is off--there is no response from the on/off button--as
> if no battery is present. The only way to get the lens to retract is
> to wait a while and try turning on the power. Eventually, the camera
> will respond by going into the disfunctional mode as described above,
> and the lens will then retract.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

JR

John,
Thanks for the idea. I gave it a try but it still shut itself off
after about 20 seconds. As is the case many times it would not turn
back on right away. I tried removing the battery and putting it back
in, but still nothing. I tried attaching it to my pc with the usb,
still nothing. Finally, I removed the CF card and after putting it
back in, it responded when I turned it on. It is making me think a
wire is loose inside or something... Thanks again

"jriegle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<f08Cb.181227$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I know you said that you changed the batteries, but you may want to remove
> the batteries for several minutes to be sure the camera's memory registers
> are cleared. There's a small possibility that a "cold boot" would clear the
> problem.
> John
>
> "JR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I own a Canon PowerShot S300, which has been an excellent camera.
> > However, it recently began having a problem. It seems to be defective
> > and in need of repair. Please let me know if anyone can help.
> >
> > When I turn the camera on, it does the following depending on which
> > mode the camera is in:
> >
> > Replay Mode: The Upper Indicator light flashes green once, and the
> > Power Lamp remains lit with a green light. Nothing is displayed on
> > the LCD monitor, and none of the menu, zoom, or display buttons have
> > any effect on the camera.
> >
> > Shooting Modes: The Upper Indicator light flashes green repeatedly
> > while the lens comes out, then the lens retracts, after which there is
> > no response to any button. At this point, the Upper Indicator light is
> > off and the Power Lamp remains lit with a green light, but even
> > pressing the on/off button fails to cause any action. In fact, the
> > only way to turn off the Power Lamp is to switch the Mode Dial to
> > Replay Mode, then the power can be turned off.
> >
> > The camera works fine when connected to a computer via USB. I've tried
> > using different batteries. Every once in a while the camera will
> > start to work properly: in Replay Mode it will display images on the
> > LCD monitor, but after a few seconds it will turn off and revert to
> > its disfunctional mode. In Shooting Mode, the camera may even take a
> > few pictures, but when it turns itself off, the lens doesn't retract,
> > and all power is off--there is no response from the on/off button--as
> > if no battery is present. The only way to get the lens to retract is
> > to wait a while and try turning on the power. Eventually, the camera
> > will respond by going into the disfunctional mode as described above,
> > and the lens will then retract.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide.

DHB

JR,
as an ET I've been trained to systematically eliminate the possible
causes when a malfunction happens.

<1> Try the camera with a different CF card.

<2> Try the camera with a different battery.

Defective components don't always fail in expected ways. The battery
might have enough power to "sometimes" operate some functions but not
consistently. The CF card may be malfunctioning is some way that draws too
much power from the camera & at times causes it to "lock-up" or shut down.

Your reference that it seems to work OK when connected to your PC makes
me think the CF card may be the problem. If you don't have another battery
or CF to try, you may be able to bring your camera into a camera store where
they may have & let you try 1 of each on your camera to see if it fixes the
problem. They may do this in the hopes of selling you either a new battery,
CF or camera depending on which proves defective.

Best of luck, not the best time of year to be without your trusted
little camera so I hope it turns out to be an inexpensive & quickly remedied
problem.

Respectively, DHB

"JR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> John,
> Thanks for the idea. I gave it a try but it still shut itself off
> after about 20 seconds. As is the case many times it would not turn
> back on right away. I tried removing the battery and putting it back
> in, but still nothing. I tried attaching it to my pc with the usb,
> still nothing. Finally, I removed the CF card and after putting it
> back in, it responded when I turned it on. It is making me think a
> wire is loose inside or something... Thanks again
>

> "jriegle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<f08Cb.181227$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > I know you said that you changed the batteries, but you may want to

remove
> > the batteries for several minutes to be sure the camera's memory

registers
> > are cleared. There's a small possibility that a "cold boot" would clear

the
> > problem.
> > John
> >
> > "JR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I own a Canon PowerShot S300, which has been an excellent camera.
> > > However, it recently began having a problem. It seems to be defective
> > > and in need of repair. Please let me know if anyone can help.
> > >
> > > When I turn the camera on, it does the following depending on which
> > > mode the camera is in:
> > >
> > > Replay Mode: The Upper Indicator light flashes green once, and the
> > > Power Lamp remains lit with a green light. Nothing is displayed on
> > > the LCD monitor, and none of the menu, zoom, or display buttons have
> > > any effect on the camera.
> > >
> > > Shooting Modes: The Upper Indicator light flashes green repeatedly
> > > while the lens comes out, then the lens retracts, after which there is
> > > no response to any button. At this point, the Upper Indicator light is
> > > off and the Power Lamp remains lit with a green light, but even
> > > pressing the on/off button fails to cause any action. In fact, the
> > > only way to turn off the Power Lamp is to switch the Mode Dial to
> > > Replay Mode, then the power can be turned off.
> > >
> > > The camera works fine when connected to a computer via USB. I've tried
> > > using different batteries. Every once in a while the camera will
> > > start to work properly: in Replay Mode it will display images on the
> > > LCD monitor, but after a few seconds it will turn off and revert to
> > > its disfunctional mode. In Shooting Mode, the camera may even take a
> > > few pictures, but when it turns itself off, the lens doesn't retract,
> > > and all power is off--there is no response from the on/off button--as
> > > if no battery is present. The only way to get the lens to retract is
> > > to wait a while and try turning on the power. Eventually, the camera
> > > will respond by going into the disfunctional mode as described above,
> > > and the lens will then retract.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help you can provide.

David J Taylor

> JR,
> as an ET I've been trained to systematically eliminate the

possible
> causes when a malfunction happens.

An ET? Wow.

<G>

David

JR

DHB,

Thank you very much for the recommendations. I will try the
systematic elimination as noted.

When you mentioned the CF card being a possibility, it reminded me
that the malfunction first started when I had borrowed a friends 256
meg CF card back in October. At that point the malfunction lasted 1
day. The camera then worked fine for about 2 months. Recently when it
started to do it again for a few days, I had not changed cards, but
maybe the initial switching of the cards had something to do with it.

Remarkably, the camera has worked fine for the last few days. I used
it extensively on Sunday without any malfunctions and each time I've
turned it on since it has worked.

Thanks again. JR