Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > About raw files and combustion software

About raw files and combustion software

Septima

Does anyone if combustion 3 has the posibility of work with the Canon 300Dīs
raw files?
Thank you for your comments.
Fernando

Eric Witte

"Septima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<uFWBb.200846$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Does anyone if combustion 3 has the posibility of work with the Canon 300Dīs
> raw files?
> Thank you for your comments.
> Fernando

I've never used the software. If not you can use the Canon Fileviewer
and save it as a 16-bit tiff. The pictures created that way look a
lot better to me than opening directly in Photoshop CS.

Eric

Chris Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Eric Witte <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Septima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:<uFWBb.200846$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Does anyone if combustion 3 has the posibility of work with the Canon 300Dīs
>> raw files?
>> Thank you for your comments.
>> Fernando

>I've never used the software. If not you can use the Canon Fileviewer
>and save it as a 16-bit tiff. The pictures created that way look a
>lot better to me than opening directly in Photoshop CS.

How odd, because 16 bit export in File Viewer Utility doesn't actually work
(unless they've fixed it with the 300D version, I hear that this is not the
case, however) - you can see this more clearly if you use linear mode, but
the non-linear ones suffer from it too - when I compare the shadow detail in
my 10D images from FVU to the Photoshop CS converted ones, after doing a
levels adjustment to bring it up, it's pretty clear that the bottom 8 bits
of the FVU produced TIFF don't actually contain any useful information - the
end result looks just like doing the same thing on an 8 bit image.

Eric Witte

> >I've never used the software. If not you can use the Canon Fileviewer
> >and save it as a 16-bit tiff. The pictures created that way look a
> >lot better to me than opening directly in Photoshop CS.

> How odd, because 16 bit export in File Viewer Utility doesn't actually work
> (unless they've fixed it with the 300D version, I hear that this is not the
> case, however) - you can see this more clearly if you use linear mode, but
> the non-linear ones suffer from it too - when I compare the shadow detail in
> my 10D images from FVU to the Photoshop CS converted ones, after doing a
> levels adjustment to bring it up, it's pretty clear that the bottom 8 bits
> of the FVU produced TIFF don't actually contain any useful information - the
> end result looks just like doing the same thing on an 8 bit image.

Opening up in CS the color is really light and does not look as good.
I can get it close about 10% of the time if I play around with the
settings. I would like to print them both out at 36-bit but it gets
costly doing so just for testing. The lightjet printouts are not
cheap. I did find one cheaper ($9-$10 for the first, $6-7 each
additional) but they had a $300 order minimum. I'll just play with
Photoshop more and see what happens.

Eric

Chris Cox

Witte <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > >I've never used the software. If not you can use the Canon Fileviewer
> > >and save it as a 16-bit tiff. The pictures created that way look a
> > >lot better to me than opening directly in Photoshop CS.

> > How odd, because 16 bit export in File Viewer Utility doesn't actually work
> > (unless they've fixed it with the 300D version, I hear that this is not the
> > case, however) - you can see this more clearly if you use linear mode, but
> > the non-linear ones suffer from it too - when I compare the shadow detail in
> > my 10D images from FVU to the Photoshop CS converted ones, after doing a
> > levels adjustment to bring it up, it's pretty clear that the bottom 8 bits
> > of the FVU produced TIFF don't actually contain any useful information - the
> > end result looks just like doing the same thing on an 8 bit image.

> Opening up in CS the color is really light and does not look as good.

That is probably because, by default, Photoshop's ACR plugin doesn't
exaggerate the contrast and saturation like Canon does.

Once you find settings you like - set them as the default for your
camera.

Chris

Eric Witte

> > > case, however) - you can see this more clearly if you use linear mode, but
> > > the non-linear ones suffer from it too - when I compare the shadow detail in
> > > my 10D images from FVU to the Photoshop CS converted ones, after doing a
> > > levels adjustment to bring it up, it's pretty clear that the bottom 8 bits
> > > of the FVU produced TIFF don't actually contain any useful information - the
> > > end result looks just like doing the same thing on an 8 bit image.

> > Opening up in CS the color is really light and does not look as good.

> That is probably because, by default, Photoshop's ACR plugin doesn't
> exaggerate the contrast and saturation like Canon does.
>
> Once you find settings you like - set them as the default for your
> camera.
>
> Chris

Maybe not by much. The color on JPGs (or raw in CFV) are closer to
what I get from RAW in photoshop CS. I bring the object into the room
and compare. Interesting I downloaded Breezebrowser and it too looks
better than the Photoshop image. Actually I can see more detail in
the Breezebrowser image so there could be something wrong with CFV.
I'm downloading the newest CFV utility. They never mention problems
in 16-bit. They do state "Reproduction of the tone curve when
converting RAW images to a 16bit TIFF file is improved" on the newest
version.

Eric

Lee

Hello Fernando
I have just been reading about capture one software and they have version
for the rebel, I can't tell you anymore as I'm a new at this stuff and have
been strictly a film user until recently.
Lee.