Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Good US online stores that ship to UK ?

Good US online stores that ship to UK ?

adm

Dear all,

I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to the
strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.

(Current Dollar/ is 1.74. This camera kit is 800 in the UK which equals
$1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)

Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to the
UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens, however
they don't do any international shipments.

Trev

"adm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all,
>
> I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
> shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to

the
> strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
>
> (Current Dollar/ is 1.74. This camera kit is 800 in the UK which

equals
> $1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)
>
> Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship

to the
> UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens,

however
> they don't do any international shipments.

Dont forget to add shipping duty and handling for the duty plus vat on
top and in case it goes wrong shipping back to Good ol US of A

KS

> I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
> shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due
> to the strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.

I was looking at a similar concept, for buying something and shipping it to
New Zealand.

The shop I found, and others at work have used, was

www.bhphotovideo.com

in New York. They replied to emails and questions quite quickly. I had asked
about them in this newsgroup a while ago, and didn't hear any terrible
comments.

But I didn't end up using them in the end, instead I purchased a 2nd hand
DiMAGE7i via a forum at PBase, and saved even more money ! Cost me NZ$850
delivered, with a shop list price of new at $2,200.

Mike Brodbelt

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:39:23 +0000, adm wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
> shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to the
> strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
>
> (Current Dollar/ is 1.74. This camera kit is 800 in the UK which
> equals $1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)

Your credit card company probably won't give you $1.74, and when it enters
the UK, it's likely that customs will slap you with 17.5% VAT + whatever
the appropriate rate of duty is on cameras. I'd expect to see you lose 25%
of that 30% price advantage before you see the camera. Prices in the US
look much lower than the UK, but they're always quoted without sales tax,
and if you compare them to UK prices ex VAT, they're suddenly a lot closer.

> Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to
> the UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens,
> however they don't do any international shipments.

B&H or Adorama do, I'm sure.

Mike.

zbzbzb

>Your credit card company probably won't give you $1.74, and when it enters
>the UK, it's likely that customs will slap you with 17.5% VAT + whatever
>the appropriate rate of duty is on cameras. I'd expect to see you lose 25%
>of that 30% price advantage before you see the camera. Prices in the US
>look much lower than the UK, but they're always quoted without sales tax,
>and if you compare them to UK prices ex VAT, they're suddenly a lot closer.

You do realize that he would not be charged the sales tax from the particular
American state, right? Even if I ordered from B&H or Adorama from here in
California I wouldn't be charged New York sales tax, or any tax for that
matter.

Paolo Pizzi

zbzbzb wrote:

> You do realize that he would not be charged the sales tax from the
> particular American state, right? Even if I ordered from B&H or
> Adorama from here in California I wouldn't be charged New York sales
> tax, or any tax for that matter.

California, wow, that's a surprise.
Looks like YOU are the one who should pack up and
go to a place where people like you (ultra right-wing
nuts) are far more common. But then again, I'm not a
fascist like you and you can stay in my state as long as
you want...

Lansbury

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:39:23 -0000, "adm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
>shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to the
>strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
>
>(Current Dollar/ is 1.74. This camera kit is 800 in the UK which equals
>$1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)
>
>Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to the
>UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens, however
>they don't do any international shipments.

It only works out cheaper if you are actually over there and bring it
back yourself. I got mine from B&H in New York, very good service and a
very reputable company.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net

Gadget

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>when it enters the UK, it's likely that customs will slap you with
>17.5% VAT + whatever the appropriate rate of duty is on cameras.

Just going off at tangent a bit, but would VAT apply to a privately
bought second hand camera off eBay from the States sent to the UK? I'm
assuming it wouldn't.
But you know what they say about
assumption being the brother of all ****-ups!

--
Gadget
to email me direct use;

adm

"Mike Brodbelt" <mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
newsan.2003.12.11.01.03.20.461016@_nospam_corusc ant.demon.co.uk...
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:39:23 +0000, adm wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
> > shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to

the
> > strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
> >
> > (Current Dollar/ is 1.74. This camera kit is 800 in the UK which
> > equals $1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)

> Your credit card company probably won't give you $1.74, and when it enters
> the UK, it's likely that customs will slap you with 17.5% VAT + whatever
> the appropriate rate of duty is on cameras. I'd expect to see you lose 25%
> of that 30% price advantage before you see the camera. Prices in the US
> look much lower than the UK, but they're always quoted without sales tax,
> and if you compare them to UK prices ex VAT, they're suddenly a lot

closer.

Well - I've imported a lot of stuff from the US to the UK and have only ever
once been hit with duty and VAT. It basically depends on how the exporter
labels the package. I normally ask them to use "gift" or "samples - no
commercial value" which seems to work well.

As for the exchange rate, you tend to get the best deals with CCs as they
normally give you the spot rate onthe day of the transaction. However - I
have a US dollar bank account anyway and would ideally pay via wire transfer
from that.

> > Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to
> > the UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens,
> > however they don't do any international shipments.

> B&H or Adorama do, I'm sure.

I've just found out that I will be visiting the US during the 2nd week of
January next year - so I may well just wait until then, despite the fact
that I'd like this camera as a christmas present for myself....

> Mike.

adm

"Lansbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:39:23 -0000, "adm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Dear all,
> >
> >I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
> >shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to

the
> >strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
> >
> >(Current Dollar/ is 1.74. This camera kit is 800 in the UK which equals
> >$1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)
> >
> >Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to

the
> >UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens, however
> >they don't do any international shipments.

> It only works out cheaper if you are actually over there and bring it
> back yourself. I got mine from B&H in New York, very good service and a
> very reputable company.

It all depends on whether you pay duty and VAT or not - see earlier post.

I was in Singapore last month and actually should have bought the camera
then - equivalent to around $750 US with lens and 512M CF.

But - I will be in the US in January and may just wait until then.