Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Noise Reduction Software?

Re: Noise Reduction Software?

Nonya Bidness

Mark Johnson wrote:
> I like the little Noise reducer from Fixerlabs.com. I got Miranda's PS
> action, but haven't tried it, yet.
>
> Does anyone have something that works better than either? Frankly, I
> like the Fixerlabs version, that doesn't seem to lose much edge
> detail. And what few artifacts remain out in the formerly noise laden
> 'open' areas can be quickly softened with a click of the brush.

Noise Ninja and NeatImage are two excellent products. Check here for
comparisons: http://www.pbase.com/isabel95/717iso800

Jamie

Marc Libom

> Noise Ninja and NeatImage are two excellent products. Check here for
> comparisons: http://www.pbase.com/isabel95/717iso800

Get the free demo version of NeatImage. This software does an excellent job
and can only advise to spend the some bucks for the pro version, where you
easily can do batch processing. The new version 3.0 works even better and
about 2 times faster than the 2.x versions.

Paolo Pizzi

Marc Libom wrote:
>> Noise Ninja and NeatImage are two excellent products. Check here for
>> comparisons: http://www.pbase.com/isabel95/717iso800

> Get the free demo version of NeatImage. This software does an
> excellent job and can only advise to spend the some bucks for the pro
> version, where you easily can do batch processing. The new version
> 3.0 works even better and about 2 times faster than the 2.x versions.

I second that, NeatImage 3.0 Pro is a great piece of software.

Mark Johnson

"Paolo Pizzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Marc Libom wrote:
>>> Noise Ninja and NeatImage are two excellent products. Check here for
>>> comparisons: http://www.pbase.com/isabel95/717iso800

>> Get the free demo version of NeatImage. This software does an
>> excellent job and can only advise to spend the some bucks for the pro
>> version, where you easily can do batch processing. The new version
>> 3.0 works even better and about 2 times faster than the 2.x versions.

>I second that, NeatImage 3.0 Pro is a great piece of software.

I tried the demo, and switching back and forth between setup and apply
mode was distracting.

The problem is that it's a stand-alone program. The FixerLabs one that
I started using is a PS filter. So it runs like any other PS filter,
and runs just on the selected area. And it's fast. NeatImage is very
slow.

Paolo Pizzi

Mark Johnson wrote:

> The problem is that it's a stand-alone program.

NeatImage Pro+ 3.0 comes with a PS plugin which
is virtually identical to the stand-alone application.

Morgan Ohlson

"Paolo Pizzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:TWcBb.35440$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Mark Johnson wrote:
>
> > The problem is that it's a stand-alone program.

> NeatImage Pro+ 3.0 comes with a PS plugin which
> is virtually identical to the stand-alone application.

How difficoult do you think it is to make the same filtering manually in an
ordinary photo editor?
....is it even posible?

Please make a try in the thread "A djungle of noise filters" above.

Morgan O.

Bart van der Wolf

"Mark Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
SNIP
> I tried the demo, and switching back and forth between setup and apply
> mode was distracting.

After setting up a profile, there's no need to go back. Then you can tweak
the parameters for the required amount of noise removal/sharpening. It may
take some practice to get the most out of it.
Not sure the demo version does it also, but clicking in the Output image tab
switches between filtered/unfiltered.

> The problem is that it's a stand-alone program. The FixerLabs one that
> I started using is a PS filter. So it runs like any other PS filter,
> and runs just on the selected area. And it's fast.

It also comes as a Photoshop filter (Pro+ version) in addition to a
standalone/batch version. It also allows to apply the noise removal for a
selection only. The drawback of a Plug-in is that it blocks the application
while processing. NI can be used on a duplicate layer, which allows to mask
the areas that should not be cleaned (very helpful for portraits). The
batch processing allows background processing of huge (quantities of) files,
if needed over-night.

> NeatImage is very slow.

I find it to be very good as well. Guess it's a trade-off.

Bart

Morgan Ohlson

"Paolo Pizzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:TWcBb.35440$(E-Mail Removed) om...

Anyone tried the ImageAnalyzer
http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/

Morgan O.

Paolo Pizzi

Morgan Ohlson wrote:
> "Paolo Pizzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:TWcBb.35440$(E-Mail Removed) om...

>> NeatImage Pro+ 3.0 comes with a PS plugin which
>> is virtually identical to the stand-alone application.

> How difficoult do you think it is to make the same filtering
> manually in an ordinary photo editor?

Impossible.

> ...is it even posible?
>
> Please make a try in the thread "A djungle of noise filters" above.

Huh?

Chris Hoopes

"Morgan Ohlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HZgBb.41326$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Paolo Pizzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:TWcBb.35440$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Mark Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > The problem is that it's a stand-alone program.

> > NeatImage Pro+ 3.0 comes with a PS plugin which
> > is virtually identical to the stand-alone application.

> How difficoult do you think it is to make the same filtering manually in

an
> ordinary photo editor?
> ...is it even posible?
>
> Please make a try in the thread "A djungle of noise filters" above.
>
> Morgan O.

I downloaded the D-100 profiles for NeatImage and set up actions in PS
for each profile. I can run a batch on a set of ISO 1600 images through PS
no problem. NeatImage Pro+ 3.0 works very well.