Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > red eye reduction

red eye reduction

Dan

Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe Photo
Deluxe Home Edition 4.0. I'm just not able to get good results with either
of these.Is there some trick to getting rid of red eyes? I just got my first
digital camera-Olympus c-740-so this is all new to me.Thanks for any help
offered.
Dan

Randy

Red ey is the problem of all cameras when the lens and flash are very
close to each other. If you have noticed that at weddings or even sport
events the pro's use a bracket to get the strobe away from the lens.
If you get it above the lense about 6-8 inches the flash the flash
enters the eye at an angle and bounces back below the lens. Therefore
no red eye. Software is more of a painting technique and some are
better than others. I use Photoshop 7.0 with the patch tool and some
other goodies when I need to cover something up though.

Randy

Dan wrote:
> Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
> of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe Photo
> Deluxe Home Edition 4.0. I'm just not able to get good results with either
> of these.Is there some trick to getting rid of red eyes? I just got my first
> digital camera-Olympus c-740-so this is all new to me.Thanks for any help
> offered.
> Dan

Michael Meissner

Randy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Red ey is the problem of all cameras when the lens and flash are very close
> to each other. If you have noticed that at weddings or even sport events the
> pro's use a bracket to get the strobe away from the lens. If you get it above
> the lense about 6-8 inches the flash the flash enters the eye at an angle and
> bounces back below the lens. Therefore no red eye.

It depends on the distance to the subject as well as the distance of the flash
to the lens. I was shooting a group at 40 feet, and only had the flash 1 foot
or so above the lens, and got red eye when the people faced me. I forgot to at
least raise the flash to the 2.5 feet away from the lens that my bracket
allowed, but I'm not sure that would have been enough. The rule of thumb is
the flash should be at least 1/12 as far away from the lens as the subject is
to the lens (I suspect this rule of thumb came from Americans uses to inches
and feet, and the actual value may be something other than 1/12, but it is easy
to remember).

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Kerry Sanders

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:25:14 GMT, "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
>of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe Photo

It is pretty much hit-or-miss on red eye when using software to correct it. I
have played around with both Paint Shop Pro 8 and PhotoImpact XL. I seem to get
better results with Paint Shop Pro, but PhotoImpact seems to have a little
easier interface.

Bob Thomas

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:30:13 -0600, Kerry Sanders
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:25:14 GMT, "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
>>of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe Photo

>It is pretty much hit-or-miss on red eye when using software to correct it. I
>have played around with both Paint Shop Pro 8 and PhotoImpact XL. I seem to get
>better results with Paint Shop Pro, but PhotoImpact seems to have a little
>easier interface.

I guess none of these options helps answer the "cheap" option - but I
have to admit that the best red-eye tool I have found is in PSP8. It's
brilliant.

Bob T.

Marvin Margoshes

"Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
> of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe

Photo
> Deluxe Home Edition 4.0. I'm just not able to get good results with either
> of these.Is there some trick to getting rid of red eyes? I just got my

first
> digital camera-Olympus c-740-so this is all new to me.Thanks for any help
> offered.
> Dan

Kodak Easy Share (free from www.kodak.com) can do it. But I greatly prefer
Paint Shop Pro for image editing in general.. Try the free trial version
from www.jasc.com. Be prepared to adjust settings in the red eye screen to
get the best results.

Dave Cardarelli

I use the clone tool in Photoshop 6.0 or Photoshop 4.0. I zoom close into
the eye, and using the clone tool, I alter the color of the eye to a dark
solid color. Then, with the clone tool, I add a small light or white spot
in the center of the eye ( half dozen pixels or so) where the pupil is. Of
course, do this for both eyes. This results in a pretty natural look and
the light spot appears to be a reflection of light from the room. The few
times I tried some red eye correction software did not work out too well.

Dave C.

"Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
> of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe

Photo
> Deluxe Home Edition 4.0. I'm just not able to get good results with either
> of these.Is there some trick to getting rid of red eyes? I just got my

first
> digital camera-Olympus c-740-so this is all new to me.Thanks for any help
> offered.
> Dan

Dave Cardarelli

I meant to mention, I think your Adobe Home Edition 4.0 also has a clone
tool to do this.

Dave C.

"Dave Cardarelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)4.net...
> I use the clone tool in Photoshop 6.0 or Photoshop 4.0. I zoom close into
> the eye, and using the clone tool, I alter the color of the eye to a dark
> solid color. Then, with the clone tool, I add a small light or white spot
> in the center of the eye ( half dozen pixels or so) where the pupil is.

Of
> course, do this for both eyes. This results in a pretty natural look and
> the light spot appears to be a reflection of light from the room. The few
> times I tried some red eye correction software did not work out too well.
>
> Dave C.
>
> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good

job
> > of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe

> Photo
> > Deluxe Home Edition 4.0. I'm just not able to get good results with

either
> > of these.Is there some trick to getting rid of red eyes? I just got my

> first
> > digital camera-Olympus c-740-so this is all new to me.Thanks for any

help
> > offered.
> > Dan

Don Wiss

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Marvin Margoshes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
>> of correcting red eye problems.

>Kodak Easy Share (free from www.kodak.com) can do it. But I greatly prefer
>Paint Shop Pro for image editing in general..

I have no interest in editing my pictures. And I'm only interested in red
eye now that I bought this little Kyocera Finecam and made the mistake of
taking flash pictures with it. So I downloaded the Easy Share. The first
thing it did was to catalog all 7257 pictures it found on my hard disk.
Then I opened it up. It displayed them in a long list. All of my folder and
file names were not displayed. Just a long, long list of thumbnails!! Only
sortable by date.

So I tried the red eye feature on one picture. It was useless. It only
finds some of the red. Clicking the mouse multiple times found all the red
in one eye, but in the second, despite my clicking all over the eye, it
left much of the red. So I closed the program and came to write this. But
it has done something to my PC to make it extremely sluggish. I am having
great difficulty writing this post. Let me go delete it. Well, first I shut
it down from the icon in the tray. Still sluggish! I removed it. Still
sluggish. I booted. Now it is back to normal. I can't recommend this
software if you have a lot of pictures. Nor can I recommend it for red eye.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.