Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sub $100 Inkjet printer

Sub $100 Inkjet printer

Siddhartha Jain

Hello,

After having acquired a nice camera (Olympus C-750), I want to get a
decent Inkjet printer to print some photographs occasionally.

My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
shop and get them printed on professional equipment?

If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.

Is 4800x1200 dpi good enough for 4x6 photographs? How about A4 size?
Upto what size can I print with photographs from a 4MP camera?

Some cheap printers I could find are:
-HP Deskjet 3650
-Lexmark Z605 (Although its got very good ratings on amazon, I am wary
of Lexmark after the DMCA fiasco, I don't want to marry Lexmark. Also
their supplies seem to be more expensive that HP and Epson)
-Epson Stylus C63

Siddhartha

Conrad Weiler

<< If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that. >>

Try the Epson 820.

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Ralph Mowery

> After having acquired a nice camera (Olympus C-750), I want to get a
> decent Inkjet printer to print some photographs occasionally.
>
> My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
> occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
> shop and get them printed on professional equipment?
>
> If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
> once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.
>
> Is 4800x1200 dpi good enough for 4x6 photographs? How about A4 size?
> Upto what size can I print with photographs from a 4MP camera?

I would take it to a place like wal-mart and have them print them. I think
it is alittle under $ 7 for 24 prints and about $ 3 for an 8x10 pix. If you
do not use it very much the ink will probably be dry on the print heads.
Then you do need good paper for the photos. One thing that is not mentioned
much is how the ink sometimes fades after a few years . Aregular photo will
not do that. Most of the printers are "given" away and the real money is in
the ink.

A 4 MP cam will do a 8x10 or even bigger just fine for most people.

Paolo Pizzi

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
> occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo
> processing shop and get them printed on professional
> equipment?

Nobody buys photo-printers to save (you just can't beat
professional photo lab prices and achieve similar quality)
but for the convenience of printing whatever you want
whenever you want.

> If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will
> use it once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.

If all you want is 6x4, a great candidate would be the HP
Photosmart 100/130 (both OOP now) which you can find
on EBay for as little as $50. No other budget inkjet printer
can achieve that kind of quality.

> Some cheap printers I could find are:
> -HP Deskjet 3650

Deskjets do a horrible job with photographs.
Not recommended.

LauraK

>My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
>occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
>shop and get them printed on professional equipment?

It's cheaper to get them printed professionally. It takes a lot of time and
effort and ink and paper to get color profile set up right between screen and
printer. The costs mount up fast.
If you want a lot, take them on a card to Wal-Mart or similar or send them
online to a place like
http://www.dotphoto.com
or
http://www.ezprints.com
If you just have a few you want some prints of, put them on a CD and take them
to a place like Walgreens or another store that has the Kodak printer. I've
used these for 8X10s and been extremely pleased with the results.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Michael P Gabriel

(E-Mail Removed) (Siddhartha Jain) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hello,
>
> After having acquired a nice camera (Olympus C-750), I want to get a
> decent Inkjet printer to print some photographs occasionally.
>
> My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
> occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
> shop and get them printed on professional equipment?
>
> If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
> once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.
>
> Is 4800x1200 dpi good enough for 4x6 photographs? How about A4 size?
> Upto what size can I print with photographs from a 4MP camera?
>
> Some cheap printers I could find are:
> -HP Deskjet 3650
> -Lexmark Z605 (Although its got very good ratings on amazon, I am wary
> of Lexmark after the DMCA fiasco, I don't want to marry Lexmark. Also
> their supplies seem to be more expensive that HP and Epson)
> -Epson Stylus C63
>
> Siddhartha

photos, I paid $79.00 for a C82 Epson, and the C84 is out, better, for
near the same price. I got mine from Gateway Shopping, but any online
store would sell them at that price.

The C82 -84 is very fast on Black/White, and in quite fast in color,
it does fabulously on Bright White non-gloss paper, and better on the
Epson Medium/Heavy Matte paper, even a light matte. It does not fare
well, on gloss paper.

A non glossy print is much classier, in my estimation, and if you have
a masterpiece, all the better to have it on matte.

Cartridges are expensive whatever choice you make, but the C82/84
Epson uses FOUR separate Cartridges...BLACK, and one each of the three
colors. The black goes for about $30. and the colors go for about 12.
each...total $66.00, BUT! shop around with Yahoo, Pricegrabber, My
Simon, etc, etc, etc, and you can drop that price drastically.

In short, I'm thrilled with my C82!

Mike (E-Mail Removed) if emailing, change .COM to .NET

Mark Herring

On 7 Dec 2003 07:59:32 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Siddhartha
Jain) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>After having acquired a nice camera (Olympus C-750), I want to get a
>decent Inkjet printer to print some photographs occasionally.
>
>My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
>occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
>shop and get them printed on professional equipment?
>
>If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
>once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.
>
>Is 4800x1200 dpi good enough for 4x6 photographs? How about A4 size?
>Upto what size can I print with photographs from a 4MP camera?
>
>Some cheap printers I could find are:
>-HP Deskjet 3650
>-Lexmark Z605 (Although its got very good ratings on amazon, I am wary
>of Lexmark after the DMCA fiasco, I don't want to marry Lexmark. Also
>their supplies seem to be more expensive that HP and Epson)
>-Epson Stylus C63
>
>Siddhartha

Once you have a printer at home, I'm guessing that you will use it
more thatn occassionally. the cost will be not the printer, but the
ink and paper.

For photos, you want at least a 6-color printer

Personally, I get a lot of use out of a roll paper feeder
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".