Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > TiFF to JPEG conversion

TiFF to JPEG conversion

Buy-N-Sell

I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
good enough.

What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least permit
some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.

Thanks in advance.

Robertwgross

buynsell wrote:
>I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
>JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
>conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
>at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
>good enough.
>
>What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least permit
>some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
>is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.

Irfanview.

---Bob Gross---

Gordon Richardson

I would also suggest Irfanview, but there is one catch. Many programs such
as Irfanview use the default IJG 2X2 chroma subsampling for Jpeg, and give
the user no control over this setting. If you have images with extremely
detailed colour transistions you might not be happy with this, and would
need to use one of the more full featured photo editors. See:
http://www.photo.net/learn/jpeg/index.html#chrom

There are also command line programs (non GUI) you could use - see:
http://www.photo.net/learn/jpeg/index.html#ijg

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> buynsell wrote:
> >I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
> >JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
> >conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
> >at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
> >good enough.
> >
> >What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least

permit
> >some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
> >is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.

> Irfanview.
>
> ---Bob Gross---

Steve B

Paint Shop Pro 8 can do this batch file conversion. You can choose the JPG
compression ratio in the Save options. Not sure, but the demo can probably do
it.

"Buy-N-Sell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsjxAb.199097$(E-Mail Removed) .cable.rogers.com...
> I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
> JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
> conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
> at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
> good enough.
>
> What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least permit
> some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
> is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.
>
> Thanks in advance.

David J Taylor

"Gordon Richardson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would also suggest Irfanview, but there is one catch. Many programs

such
> as Irfanview use the default IJG 2X2 chroma subsampling for Jpeg, and

give
> the user no control over this setting.

Paint Shop Pro allows control of this setting.

But can all programs that you might subsequently use read a different
chroma sub-sampling?

PSP also has batch conversions, and built-in scripting.

Cheers,
David

Patrick L.

"Buy-N-Sell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsjxAb.199097$(E-Mail Removed) .cable.rogers.com...
> I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
> JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
> conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
> at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
> good enough.
>
> What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least

permit
> some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch

processing
> is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Paint Shop Pro 7 has a batch conversion utility, and variable compression
functionality. It works very nicely on huge files.

Patrick

Larry Lynch

In article <pjxAb.199097$Fv8.96142
@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
> I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
> JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
> conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
> at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
> good enough.
>
> What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least permit
> some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
> is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Thumbs Plus gets that done for me.
The last thing it asks you is HOW MUCH COMPRESSION?? I usually set to 85
(scale on Thumbs+ is 1 to 100)
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

Michael Meissner

"Buy-N-Sell" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
> JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
> conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
> at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
> good enough.
>
> What software should I use? Preferably this software should at least permit
> some choice in the preferences regarding JPEG quantizing. Batch processing
> is almost a necessary feature of the chosen app as well.
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind using batch orientated command line tools, you might want to
look into the Imagemagick tools which are freely available. I'm not sure what
options you need in terms of JPEG quantizing, but you might want to browse the
options, and/or download the programs.

http://www.imagemagick.org/

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Recer

>From: "Buy-N-Sell" (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 12/6/2003 9:41 PM Central Standard Time

>I'm looking to convert a lot of TIFF's I have scanned over the years into
>JPEGs, for storage purposes. I'm interested in the HIGHEST quality JPEG
>conversion possible, ideally so that I can barely discern a difference, if
>at all. File size is not essential, for sure it will be smaller and that's
>good enough.

CDs are cheap, why not store the TIFFs and then you won't have to worry about
quality.

Ron
Mercedes, TX

Gordon Richardson

Paint Shop Pro 8 allows you to choose the chroma subsampling (one of the
previous versions allow you to). If you don't already own PSP 8 it is a
much larger download than Irfanview...

All self-respecting programs allow you to read any chroma subsampling,
except some really odd ones such as 4X2 (which I have never seen). Most
(Bayer) digicams produce 2X1 (horizontal) chroma subsampling Jpegs.

I refer to this (and more) in my article on Jpeg Compression:
http://www.photo.net/learn/jpeg/index.html

news:djCAb.1244$(E-Mail Removed)...