Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Water Resistant Digital Cameras

Water Resistant Digital Cameras

M Wilson

Hi,

I need some opinions on purchasing a camera. I want a water-resistant
(mild rain, occasional splash on the boat, etc. etc. no
diving/snorkeling) camera, preferably 4 megapixels or better. I have
been looking at the Olympus Stylus 400, and the Pentax Optio 33WR
(3.2mp). Does anyone have any opinions on these cameras, or any
suggestions on other cameras? Any input is appreciated. I like the
Olympus, but I hear the indoor photo quality is not too hot (however
you might be able to adjust it?)

Thanks,

MW

LauraK

>Does anyone have any opinions on these cameras, or any
>suggestions on other cameras? Any input is appreciated. I like the
>Olympus, but I hear the indoor photo quality is not too hot (however
>you might be able to adjust it?)

The Oly Stylus is based on the time-proven design of the film Sylus.
I've owned several Oly digitals and have never had a problem with them on
indoor shots. There's no reason the Stylus should be different, unless you've
got the flash set wrong. A lot of people use flash when they shouldn't or don't
switch to red-eye.
Oly was a leading developer of anti-redeye flash and theirs usually work better
than other brands.
It's a handly little camera. I like the design because the clamshell closes up
and covers not just the lens but also the auto focusing window and the
viewfinder. Which means you can throw it in a backpack or pocket and not worry
about getting those windows scratched up.
It also has rounded corners so it doesn't poke you when you sit down with the
camera in your pocket.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Fantasy Fotos

I'm using an Olympus C-5050 in a PT-015 housing. It's very water-proof.
I think it's rated for use at depths of about 130 feet underwater.
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

--
Regards
Tom Fineran

MikeWhy

I have Canon's waterproof housing the Canon S30; the S50 and siblings
supposedly fit, too. About $200, but I don't clearly recall. Clear optical
glass in front of the lens. Big buttons on the outside to work the controls.
The only control you can't work is the lens cover to turn off the camera. It
powers itself off after a few minutes.

"Fantasy Fotos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aFsAb.14272$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
> I'm using an Olympus C-5050 in a PT-015 housing. It's very water-proof.
> I think it's rated for use at depths of about 130 feet underwater.
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,

(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I need some opinions on purchasing a camera. I want a water-resistant
> >(mild rain, occasional splash on the boat, etc. etc. no
> >diving/snorkeling) camera, preferably 4 megapixels or better. I have
> >been looking at the Olympus Stylus 400, and the Pentax Optio 33WR
> >(3.2mp). Does anyone have any opinions on these cameras, or any
> >suggestions on other cameras? Any input is appreciated. I like the
> >Olympus, but I hear the indoor photo quality is not too hot (however
> >you might be able to adjust it?)
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >MW

> --
> Regards
> Tom Fineran

Buster

In addition to the waterproof housing already mentioned for Canon,
they also make a weatherproof housing for many of their cameras which
sells for a little over $100 (I think).
Buster
On 6 Dec 2003 11:24:13 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (M Wilson) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need some opinions on purchasing a camera. I want a water-resistant
>(mild rain, occasional splash on the boat, etc. etc. no
>diving/snorkeling) camera, preferably 4 megapixels or better. I have
>been looking at the Olympus Stylus 400, and the Pentax Optio 33WR
>(3.2mp). Does anyone have any opinions on these cameras, or any
>suggestions on other cameras? Any input is appreciated. I like the
>Olympus, but I hear the indoor photo quality is not too hot (however
>you might be able to adjust it?)
>
>Thanks,
>
>MW

M Wilson

Basd on the fact that I can only find the two cameras (Pentax &
Olympus), I will have to look for the weatherproof cases. I have seen
the waterproof ones, but they seem to be designed more for diving, and
are therefore expensive. All I want is to keep the spray/rain off the
camera, no underwater use.

Buster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> In addition to the waterproof housing already mentioned for Canon,
> they also make a weatherproof housing for many of their cameras which
> sells for a little over $100 (I think).
> Buster
> On 6 Dec 2003 11:24:13 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (M Wilson) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I need some opinions on purchasing a camera. I want a water-resistant
> >(mild rain, occasional splash on the boat, etc. etc. no
> >diving/snorkeling) camera, preferably 4 megapixels or better. I have
> >been looking at the Olympus Stylus 400, and the Pentax Optio 33WR
> >(3.2mp). Does anyone have any opinions on these cameras, or any
> >suggestions on other cameras? Any input is appreciated. I like the
> >Olympus, but I hear the indoor photo quality is not too hot (however
> >you might be able to adjust it?)
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >MW

Bill

Sony has a rather funny looking digital that is supposed to be exactly what
you are
asking for. Check their web site.

"M Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Basd on the fact that I can only find the two cameras (Pentax &
> Olympus), I will have to look for the weatherproof cases. I have seen
> the waterproof ones, but they seem to be designed more for diving, and
> are therefore expensive. All I want is to keep the spray/rain off the
> camera, no underwater use.

Chris Quinn

Have a look at something called the Aquapac - details are on
www.maplin.co.uk - search for part no A74AB

14.99 in the UK (about $20) - I assume you could find something similar in
the US

news:I9uDb.16460$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
> Sony has a rather funny looking digital that is supposed to be exactly

what
> you are
> asking for. Check their web site.
>
> "M Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Basd on the fact that I can only find the two cameras (Pentax &
> > Olympus), I will have to look for the weatherproof cases. I have seen
> > the waterproof ones, but they seem to be designed more for diving, and
> > are therefore expensive. All I want is to keep the spray/rain off the
> > camera, no underwater use.

Michael

Olympus makes a good waterproof cases for their series camera's.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...underwater.asp