Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > personally i think model and brand "shakeout" among digicams is imminent. [the humor x-thread]

personally i think model and brand "shakeout" among digicams is imminent. [the humor x-thread]

add your more informed speculation just for fun.

Minolta got snuffed by ?? Kyocera (?)

Casio has always done the credit card size fetish, since their calculators,
so maybe Casio will keep making those cameras (unless cell phones
incorporate good optics inexpensively, which I doubt).

uhh.. I'm just doing stream of conscious here.

Pentax? Panasonic?

how long can Leica digis live off their brand name?

recent news stories say that Sony intends to "GM" (de-diversify) all of
their electronics.

sharp appears to have self aborted their digicams.

long term....?

hp and Kodak becoming the Hotpoint and ford escort/f150 of the camera world.

canon and Olympus doing the whole range, Nikon going higher range. Sony
doing oddball-status stuff such as record to CD.

"Walgreen's" and "Safeway" store brands doing the disposables

Alan F Cross

If you're into predictions, this will interest ....

http://bythom.com/2004predictions.htm

In message <3fd14ce8$1@hughey>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes

--
Alan F Cross

Jim Waggener

"Alan F Cross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JkJt+1DWkf0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you're into predictions, this will interest ....
>
> http://bythom.com/2004predictions.htm

yup, pretty interesting predictions...thanks for the link

"Alan F Cross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JkJt+1DWkf0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you're into predictions, this will interest ....
>
> http://bythom.com/2004predictions.htm

(that page written By Thom Hogan)

Thanks.

As you can tell I'm not a photo person, I'm just musing. AS proof, I
incorrectly recalled the name kyocera. should have been konica. German,
japanese, algerian - they all sound the same.

".. fold.
Minolta/Konica, Leica, Hasselblad (. "

It's interesting that he hasn't mentioned those foreign "knock off" brands.
Chinon Zenit Kiev ... maybe they've been gone for years?

I am wondering when the 3, 4, and 5mp digital guts will be adapted to the
"basic" $200-250 SLRs, since they represent optimized lens and automatic
everything at a budget. I wonder what has prevented this happening already.
Maybe the size of the CCD has to be much different for SLR size lens?

". they say, "fax that too me, will you?" "Hey, I'll do better than that, I
just captured it with my CamPhone and sent it to you via email ."

CellFax, that's not surprising. For years, the fax software companies have
tried to push their own weirdoid "email fax" fuddy duddy. But although I
haven't yet actually TRIED using a camera as a scanner, I have used the
scanner to make color photos of small objects. On the computer monitor, the
result looks like a photo. I suppose the same pic taken with a camera would
be at a macro setting.

This is a great site:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Cellfax_20to_20PDF

" Someone will figure out that travelers no longer need or want one-hour
developing.
"

well, duh. Starbucks and all have those 'hotspots'

ready to connect to those printer kiosks.

". malware is coming.. "

reminding us of recent articles about cell phone standardization and
"appearance" of cell malware. CellCam malware, "convergence"
but CellCams will dominate only after cell phones eliminate typical hardwire
phone accounts.

Futurism is fun.

".. "stock up on these films .."

yeah, slide film hasn't been common.

=======
his
http://bythom.com/2003predictions.htm
is also interesting.

" .. Adobe, who continues to not understand digital photography very well,
...."
uh, Adobe is a dinosaur, but do well because the software industry/products
has already mostly attained "commodity" status (marketing dependent rather
than performance dependent).

" ..[his Dec 2003 annotation:] Ritz Camera has announced the $11 Dakota
digital disposable (as has Walgreens). .. "

I don't visit Walgreens, but I have recently seen the Ritz disposable
advertised. I think they advertised for more than $11. As Hogan says, the
"disposable digital" concept is bizarre.

Roger Halstead

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 00:15:03 -0800, <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Alan F Cross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:JkJt+1DWkf0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you're into predictions, this will interest ....
>>
>> http://bythom.com/2004predictions.htm

>(that page written By Thom Hogan)
>

>Thanks.
>
>As you can tell I'm not a photo person, I'm just musing. AS proof, I
>incorrectly recalled the name kyocera. should have been konica. German,
>japanese, algerian - they all sound the same.
>
>".. fold.
>Minolta/Konica, Leica, Hasselblad (. "
>
>It's interesting that he hasn't mentioned those foreign "knock off" brands.
>Chinon Zenit Kiev ... maybe they've been gone for years?
>
>I am wondering when the 3, 4, and 5mp digital guts will be adapted to the
>"basic" $200-250 SLRs, since they represent optimized lens and automatic

I think you will find they are already headed in that direction
although the "good stuff" will probably stay around $500

>everything at a budget. I wonder what has prevented this happening already.
>Maybe the size of the CCD has to be much different for SLR size lens?
>
>". they say, "fax that too me, will you?" "Hey, I'll do better than that, I
>just captured it with my CamPhone and sent it to you via email ."

Every time a business says that to me I ask them if they have e-mail.
Then I tell them I've never found a use for fax as e-mail can do the
dame thing and faster. If it's an electronic doc, send me an e-mail
and attach the doc.

I really can't see a use for fax any more.

>CellFax, that's not surprising. For years, the fax software companies have

I had a devil of a time with purchasing a new cell phone. I couldn't
convince them I only wanted a phone to 'talk on". I didn't want
instant messaging, I didn't want photos, I didn't want a pager. I
simply wanted a way to talk to people. I definately didn't want ANY
of that stuff on my cell phone. I want to be available, but not that
available.

>tried to push their own weirdoid "email fax" fuddy duddy. But although I
>haven't yet actually TRIED using a camera as a scanner, I have used the
>scanner to make color photos of small objects. On the computer monitor, the
>result looks like a photo. I suppose the same pic taken with a camera would
>be at a macro setting.

I'll still stick with a plain cell phone and use the camera like a
camera.

You'll have to fix the return add due to dumb virus checkers
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com