Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Let's talk about more about the new Leica Digilux 2

Let's talk about more about the new Leica Digilux 2

Jimmy Smith

So what exactly do you think about the control laid out as rings on the
lens? What type of advantages or disadvantages will this hold for the
digital photographers? I was waiting and all set to get the Sony F828 until
I saw this Leica Digilux 2. Now it doesn't seem like such an easy decision
for me. Any comments or insights?

Jimmy

Jim Townsend

Jimmy Smith wrote:

> So what exactly do you think about the control laid out as rings on the
> lens? What type of advantages or disadvantages will this hold for the
> digital photographers? I was waiting and all set to get the Sony F828 until
> I saw this Leica Digilux 2. Now it doesn't seem like such an easy decision
> for me. Any comments or insights?

The zoom and focus rings are about 1000% better than most of the zoom/focus
methods used in non-slr cameras.

The zoom is darn near instant.. It's as fast as you can turn the ring. That's
much better than pressing a rocker switch and waiting for a motor to grind the
lens in and out.

It's also a faster way to manual focus as well.. The only downside to manual
focussing on the new Leica is that they use an electronic viewfinder.. EVF's
are usually grainy which makes it difficult to judge whether you're focus is
correct.

David J. Littleboy

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The zoom and focus rings are about 1000% better than most of the

zoom/focus
> methods used in non-slr cameras.
>
> The zoom is darn near instant.. It's as fast as you can turn the ring.

That's
> much better than pressing a rocker switch and waiting for a motor to grind

the
> lens in and out.
>
> It's also a faster way to manual focus as well.. The only downside to

manual
> focussing on the new Leica is that they use an electronic viewfinder..

EVF's
> are usually grainy which makes it difficult to judge whether you're focus

is
> correct.

Some (most???, all???) EVF cameras operate in DOF preview mode all the time,
so manual focus is essentially impossible. (Even with a magnification
function, DOF is too large. And these small cameras have humongous DOF
anyway.)

Does this camera fix this and open up the aperture for focusing?

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan