Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Inc. Thinks It's end Users are Stupid - - Ron Baird Please Respond

Kodak Inc. Thinks It's end Users are Stupid - - Ron Baird Please Respond

Test User

Here is an email volley between Kodak and I.

Allow me to summarize for those who feel it's too long to read:
Purchased a new Kodak DX4530, tried to install the EasyShare software v3.0
I got an error and the download halted, there was a link for me to
investigate online,
and it was determined that I needed the free upgrade to v3.2 so far so good.

However the software is 18mb in size and would choke my dial up connection.
So, I thought I'd just download it in the office and take it home on cd or
flash drive.
But Lo and Behold, Kodak doesn't offer the software as a straight download.
The only
way to get the software is to do the "web install".

I complained to Kodak and here is a snippet from their reply:

"We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not have
to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on their
hard drive.

While we certainly do see the value in having the downloadable .exe, we
felt that there was an overwhelming call for simplicity."

I want to know who asked for a simpler process than click --> save as -->
double click and launch.

Anyway here is the current volley of emails, there is a reply due on my
part, but I am following through on my
threat to post this in a newsgroup.

Here is the full text of the emails:

<My original request:>
Name: - System: Windows 98 SE - Processor: Pentium III -
RAM: 64 MB to 255 MB - Network: Dial-up - Browser: IE 6.x - Country: US
- Question: After purchasing a DX4530, I cannot install from CD due to
some Tricodes. The suggestion was to download v3.2 from the web.
However at 18MB the download is huge, but I have access to a high speed
connection at the office. I want download the software and cut it to cd
to bring home. Please forward me the URL for the entire software and
not the web install version of it. ?

<Their 1st Answer>
Greetings,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak web site and question
about KODAK EASYSHARE Software.

I'm sorry but you might have noticed the lack of a downloadable
executable for the KODAK Easyshare Software.

We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not have
to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on their
hard drive.

While we certainly do see the value in having the downloadable .exe, we
felt that there was an overwhelming call for simplicity.

You still have the option of getting the software on CD for only $7.95,
which is a very nominal fee considering the usual cost of new software,
don't you think? Let us know if that is your interest.

www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

Your valuable feedback is greatly appreciated and has also been
forwarded to our development team for consideration for future software
products.

With regards to the URL for the Software Installation File, I'm sorry
but this free download is done in this way.

If you need to reply to this email, please reply 'with history'
(include previous e-mails) so we can expedite our service to you.

<Marketing Bullshit Snipped>

Regards,

Danny D.
Kodak Information and Technical Support

<My 2nd Request>
Hi Danny & Kodak,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Let me begin by saying that I am in the software design business. I
know for a fact that the EXE exists, But to not offer it via the web is
a mistake. This shows lack of interest for the consumer's convenience,
and some executive's lack of understanding in software design. It may
be easier for Kodak to cater to the masses by "simplifying the install
process", you have essentially screwed the rest of us.

You people must have a really low opinion of your end user, by implying
that most people cannot download software. I for one will be returning
my camera at a 15% return penalty, and posting this message to
newsgroups. In the hopes that you change your backwards policy and
offer both solutions to the software download dilemma.

<Their 2nd ANSWER>
Greetings,

Thank you for your recent note about the KODAK EASYSHARE Software.

Kodak uses 3 error codes in EasyShare software to better diagnose the
problem the user has experienced. This allows Kodak software support
better assist a customer with this problem.

In order for us to help you, can you please answer a few more questions
for us.

What was the Tri-code error when you were installing the software using
the CD?

Are you logged in as the System Administrator? If not, please try
logging in as the System Admin., then try reinstalling the software.

Please also make sure that you do not have any anti-virus software or
pop-up protection running in the background. If you do, please make
sure to stop those from running, then try the installation again.

We appreciate your help in letting us know if any of these suggestions
resolve any errors or create any new. If you continue to have trouble,
please reply back with answers to these questions or any new questions.

We will also be more than happy to send you the upgraded 3.2 version of
the Kodak Easyshare Software should the resolution to the said tri-code
is an upgrade.

If you need to reply to this email, please reply 'with history'
(include
previous e-mails) so we can expedite our service to you.

<Marketing Bullshit Snipped>

Regards,

Mira O.
KODAK Information and Technical Support

Will post the continuing saga.....

mark herring

Wow--this is classic. I had a similar experience with Intuit on a chat
support line---one non-sequiter after another. When I finally used the
phone and real person approach, the problem was solved instantly.

As the baron of film-dom, "yellow mother" may have some molasses in their
thought processes as they segue into digital. What you are experiencing may
have emanated from some old-timer who thought "digital" meant the thing that
pushes the shutter release.

PLEASE keep us posted--it will be fascinating to see how they explain the
non-sequiter of the century.

--
******************
Mark Herring

*
"Test User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fcfb1d1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is an email volley between Kodak and I.

Stanley Krute

I wonder if anyone realizes that the infuriatingly
obtuse and braindead corporate zombie voice
Kodak communicates with in this self-satirizing set of email
communications makes anyone with a functioning synapse
want to run away from the company and its products as quickly
as muscles and cardiovascular conditioning allow ?

Of course not. Our only small
satisfaction is that the company's tanking, and the last
words out of them will be this sort of spew, the
words that serve to mark and grease the skids of
business doom.

stan

Ron Hunter

Test User wrote:

> [...]
> logging in as the System Admin., then try reinstalling the software.
>
> Please also make sure that you do not have any anti-virus software or
> pop-up protection running in the background. If you do, please make
> sure to stop those from running, then try the installation again.
>
> We appreciate your help in letting us know if any of these suggestions
> resolve any errors or create any new. If you continue to have trouble,
> please reply back with answers to these questions or any new questions.
>
> We will also be more than happy to send you the upgraded 3.2 version of
> the Kodak Easyshare Software should the resolution to the said tri-code
> is an upgrade.
>
> If you need to reply to this email, please reply 'with history'
> (include
> previous e-mails) so we can expedite our service to you.

Try sending that information directly to Ron Baird at:

I am pretty sure he can explain why the downloading is done the way it
is, even though I feel that making a download available for those of us
for whom a 30 meg download isn't a significant investment in time.
Failing that, I strongly suspect that a CD might be available for those
without internet connectivity.

Greg Kamer

"Test User"

> I complained to Kodak and here is a snippet from their reply:
>
> "We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
> downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
> process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not have
> to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on their

This is kind of odd..... You would think Kodak could provide 2 versions for
download. 1 for those who need more "simplicity" and those of us who can
remember where we downloaded a file to and run it from out hard drive....

Of course doing it this way makes them an extra $7+ for mailing the cd to
you. Unfortunately you have the wait time, which does not seem too customer
friendly to me.

You can't be serious surely ?

You returned your camera because you couldn't get the software downloaded
from online since it's not in a downloadable executable ?

Or am I mistaken, were you just threatening doing that to get a response
from Kodak ?

--
Tony

(E-Mail Removed)ISH

Remove the fish to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`..`...><((((>

Ron Hunter

Greg Kamer wrote:

> "Test User"
>

>>I complained to Kodak and here is a snippet from their reply:
>>
>> "We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
>> downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
>> process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not have
>> to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on their

> This is kind of odd..... You would think Kodak could provide 2 versions for
> download. 1 for those who need more "simplicity" and those of us who can
> remember where we downloaded a file to and run it from out hard drive....
>
> Of course doing it this way makes them an extra $7+ for mailing the cd to
> you. Unfortunately you have the wait time, which does not seem too customer
> friendly to me.

I believe recent postings here have indicated that a file would be made
available in the future for those who don't mind downloading 30 meg
files. It seems that Kodak hasn't noticed the growth of broadband
amoung internet users, or they think their customers aren't those who
have broadband... I know they are wrong in MY case.

Azzz1588

In article <3fcfb1d1$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Test User" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>However the software is 18mb in size and would choke my dial up connection.

You must have an amazingly slow connection.
18 mb at 56k should take just a little bit over an hour.
Not that bad.....

(I just D/L'd an 90 mb file last night at 56k, and it took
approx 6 hours. Did it while I was asleep)

I understand it's a PITA to instant gratification people, but on the whole
their way isnt evil, nor wrong. Stupid maybe, but thats it.
Quicktime is just as bad...................

William Jackson

Anyone who thinks that we're getting rich on a $7.00 CD hasn't looked at the
cost of doing something like this.

It covers my costs, that's it.

"Greg Kamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Of course doing it this way makes them an extra $7+ for mailing the cd to
> you. Unfortunately you have the wait time, which does not seem too

customer
> friendly to me.

Paul H.

"Greg Kamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Test User"
>

> > I complained to Kodak and here is a snippet from their reply:
> >
> > "We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
> > downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
> > process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not

have
> > to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on

their

> This is kind of odd..... You would think Kodak could provide 2 versions

for
> download. 1 for those who need more "simplicity" and those of us who can
> remember where we downloaded a file to and run it from out hard drive....
>
> Of course doing it this way makes them an extra $7+ for mailing the cd to
> you. Unfortunately you have the wait time, which does not seem too

customer
> friendly to me.

Here's the problem: Most people are NOT stupid or lazy, but enough are so
that providing support for that sorry few can be quite expensive. Again,
it's a case of the stupid few causing problems for the intelligent many.

I used to install word-processing software for people and and while most
people just happily used the software on their own, others were continually
on the phone to the manufacturer's support number asking questions they
could have easily answered themselves just by looking at a help file or the
manual's index. I was utterly astounded when I encountered this phenomenon
and when I asked these people why they kept calling, I'd get answers like
"Why not?", or "I understand things better when they're explained to me
verbally", or "I can't be bothered looking things up." Sheesh. Please
understand, I'm not talking about questions regarding complex formatting or
printing issues, but simple things such as how to make a superscript or do
underlining.

Unfortunately, there are some people who, however hungry they might be,
could be offered a free apple but would refuse it saying, "What? You're not
going to peel it for me?" Sadly, these folks make it tough on the rest of us
and these are the people leading us all down the path of idiot-proof,
web-based software installations.