Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > WARNING - SD cards being shipped as MMC cards

WARNING - SD cards being shipped as MMC cards

Test User

Hi all,

Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
and all.
The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
Digital.

But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.

Some Pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_02.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set213_01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_03.jpg

Will post my reaction later on.

TU

Drifter

>Hi all,
>
>Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
>and all.
>The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
>Digital.
>
>But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.
>
>Some Pictures:
>http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_01.jpg
>http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_02.jpg
>http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set213_01.jpg
>http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_01.jpg
>http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_03.jpg
>

>Will post my reaction later on.
>
>TU

9 pins=SD
7 pins=MMC
It's just that simple.

also some information here
http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol..._standards.htm

If it says "SD" card on the packaging, and it says "SD" on the card, and it
operates to the capacity of the card, then why does it matter what it says
when you do card info ?

Is that a picture of a phone screen ? If it is, then it's more of a problem
with your phone than the card.

I wouldn't loose sleep over this one personally.

--
Tony

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ISH

Remove the fish to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`..`...><((((>
"Test User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fcfb0b6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
> and all.
> The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
> Digital.
>
> But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.
>
> Some Pictures:
> http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_01.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_02.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set213_01.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_01.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_03.jpg
>

> Will post my reaction later on.
>
> TU

Test User

"Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
> >and all.
> >The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
> >Digital.
> >
> >But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.
> >
> >Some Pictures:
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_01.jpg
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_02.jpg
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set213_01.jpg
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_01.jpg
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_03.jpg
> >

> >Will post my reaction later on.
> >
> >TU
> >

> 9 pins=SD
> 7 pins=MMC
> It's just that simple.
>
> also some information here

http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol..._standards.htm

Hi,

When you say "pins" do you mean the bronze colored contacts on the back of
the card?

Because looking at my SD card I see 9 contacts there as well.

Test User

"Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
> >and all.
> >The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
> >Digital.
> >
> >But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.
> >
> >Some Pictures:
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_01.jpg
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4...d/Set13_02.jpg
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set213_01.jpg
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_01.jpg
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4.../Set214_03.jpg
> >

> >Will post my reaction later on.
> >
> >TU
> >

> 9 pins=SD
> 7 pins=MMC
> It's just that simple.
>
> also some information here

http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol..._standards.htm

Good news, J&R spoke to their vendor and has confirmed that there is a
problem with 256MB Lexar SD cards.

To make up for my grief, they will give me a high speed card for the same
price.

Anyone that has purchased an SD card from J&R or anyone recently should have
it checked out to make sure it really is an SD card.
Find someone that has a palm with an SD card and ask them to go into system
properties and view card info.

Drifter has pointed out above that SD had 9 pins and MMC has 7 pins, not
really sure how to interpret that because the bronze contacts behind the
both cards had 9 contacts.

Kudos to J&R for stepping up to the plate and fixing this for me.

TU

Sockmonkey

> Hi all,
>
> Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
> and all.
> The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
> Digital.
>
> But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.

What you took a picture of is a SD card. You can tell the difference be
looking at the bottom. See this image for a comparison:

http://rabien.com/img/compare.png