Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Hassles in sports arenas?

Hassles in sports arenas?

Andrew McDonald

I recently purchased a 70-200 f2.8 lens. It first use will be at a
figure skating show in St. Louis at the Savvis Center in January.

The last time I went to one of these (a few years ago) I was asked if my
camera was "professional". At the time I was using a Minolta 700si with
a 135mm f2.8 lens. I told them no and they let me in.

However, my 70-200mm lens is a bit more imposing than the 135mm lens
was. Will I have any problems?

The ticket says "No Flash Photo/No Video" so I should be protected by
that if they want to hassle me, right? Is there anything I can do to
avoid or minimize problems upon entry?

Robertwgross

Andrew wrote:
>I recently purchased a 70-200 f2.8 lens. It first use will be at a
>figure skating show in St. Louis at the Savvis Center in January.
>
>The last time I went to one of these (a few years ago) I was asked if my
>camera was "professional". At the time I was using a Minolta 700si with
>a 135mm f2.8 lens. I told them no and they let me in.
>
>However, my 70-200mm lens is a bit more imposing than the 135mm lens
>was. Will I have any problems?
>
>The ticket says "No Flash Photo/No Video" so I should be protected by
>that if they want to hassle me, right? Is there anything I can do to
>avoid or minimize problems upon entry?

Stick some short lens on the camera body, and then keep the long lens inside
your coat until you need it.

---Bob Gross---

Ed E.

> However, my 70-200mm lens is a bit more imposing than the 135mm lens
> was. Will I have any problems?

More and more indoor events in the States are prohibiting cameras of any
type. You can thank Clear Channel Entertainment for much of the
restrictions, as they claim copyrights to all of their managed events (more
than you might think.) I was told to either take my camera back to the car
or check it in at the security desk, but I wasn't taking it inside. Even
with media credentials, I was threatened with a lawsuit if I continued to
offer any of the pictures for sale that I took. I haven't been to a CCE
sponsored event since.

Best bet is to ask the security department of the facility you're planning
on going to BEFORE you get there.

Alan Browne

Andrew McDonald wrote:

> I recently purchased a 70-200 f2.8 lens. It first use will be at a
> figure skating show in St. Louis at the Savvis Center in January.
>
> The last time I went to one of these (a few years ago) I was asked if my
> camera was "professional". At the time I was using a Minolta 700si with
> a 135mm f2.8 lens. I told them no and they let me in.

Assuming you still have a Minolta just say, "nah, pros use Nikons" while
shaking your head shyly.

> However, my 70-200mm lens is a bit more imposing than the 135mm lens
> was. Will I have any problems?

Yes, esp. if it is white. If they are doing a bag search, put it in a
sweater or something at the bottom of the bag and put a cheap 28-80 or
50mm on the camera body until you're seated for 10 min. or so. Just
hope they don't dig for booze.

> The ticket says "No Flash Photo/No Video" so I should be protected by
> that if they want to hassle me, right? Is there anything I can do to
> avoid or minimize problems upon entry?

Leave the flash at home.

Good luck. They've turned into real a-holes over the past few years.

Have a backup plan, eg, what happens if they don't let you in...will
your car be too far away to go back and lock it up? Do they have a
secure cloakroom for you to leave it in.

--
e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

Andrew McDonald

Alan Browne wrote:
> Yes, esp. if it is white. If they are doing a bag search, put it in a
> sweater or something at the bottom of the bag and put a cheap 28-80 or
> 50mm on the camera body until you're seated for 10 min. or so. Just
> hope they don't dig for booze.

No, I got the black one.

I did a little more research, found this answer at www.starsonice.com.
So it might depend on how "knowledgable" the gate attendants are.

---
Q: What is the policy for bringing cameras to the show?

A: No flash photography or videotaping is allowed during the
performance. Non-flash cameras with lenses less than 70mm are permitted.
---

> Leave the flash at home.

Of course.

> Have a backup plan, eg, what happens if they don't let you in...will
> your car be too far away to go back and lock it up? Do they have a
> secure cloakroom for you to leave it in.

Good idea. I was probably going to walk from the hotel so I will have
to make sure I have time to run back if necessary. I am not going to
leave $3500 worth of camera/lens anywhere.

Joseph Meehan

Cameras are not professional, users are. If you are not selling your
photos, you are not a professional and your equipment is not professional.

A Kodak Instamatic is a professional camera when used by a professional.

The fact is many events are prohibiting all cameras for a couple of
reasons. The first is the safety and undisturbed enjoyment of the general
audience. Many people, myself included don't care for some bozo who wants
to get in my way during an event because he has a camera and thinks that
gives him special privileges.

Another reason is often legal agreements limiting photographs.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Andrew McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ETLzb.28318$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> I recently purchased a 70-200 f2.8 lens. It first use will be at a
> figure skating show in St. Louis at the Savvis Center in January.
>
> The last time I went to one of these (a few years ago) I was asked if my
> camera was "professional". At the time I was using a Minolta 700si with
> a 135mm f2.8 lens. I told them no and they let me in.
>
> However, my 70-200mm lens is a bit more imposing than the 135mm lens
> was. Will I have any problems?
>
> The ticket says "No Flash Photo/No Video" so I should be protected by
> that if they want to hassle me, right? Is there anything I can do to
> avoid or minimize problems upon entry?

Rick

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:HvNzb.20$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cameras are not professional, users are. If you are not selling your
> photos, you are not a professional and your equipment is not professional.
>
> A Kodak Instamatic is a professional camera when used by a professional.
>
> The fact is many events are prohibiting all cameras for a couple of
> reasons. The first is the safety and undisturbed enjoyment of the general
> audience. Many people, myself included don't care for some bozo who wants
> to get in my way during an event because he has a camera and thinks that
> gives him special privileges.
>
> Another reason is often legal agreements limiting photographs.

Whatever. Between the fans, concession vendors constantly
walking up and down the aisles, etc etc, photographers are
about the only group that hasn't gotten in my way at sporting
events.

Rick

CARBUFF

>Stick some short lens on the camera body, and then keep the long lens inside
>your coat until you need it.
>
>---Bob Gross---

Right and if they ask you if thats a long lens in your pocket, just tell em no,
youre just happy to see them.

George

Unclaimed Mysteries

Ed E. wrote in part:

> More and more indoor events in the States are prohibiting cameras of any
> type. You can thank Clear Channel Entertainment for much of the
> restrictions, as they claim copyrights to all of their managed events (more
> than you might think.)

Why do you hate America so much, bub? You must be one of them dixiechick
sympathizers. Go over to your buddies in i-RAN or North Koreea and see
how many pictures you get to take. Meanwhile, as good consumers we'll be
enjoying this new show called...

Clear Channel Entertainment Presents...

THE SKY! Look at all the stars and planets! See meteors! Special guests
the SUN and the MOON!

THE SKY(TM) is a CCE production. All rights reserved. Please observe
only officially recognized constellations. No cameras or any video
recording devices allowed without prior authorization. Certain areas of
THE SKY(TM) may not be photographed or looked at due to homeland
security considerations. No refunds. No food or drink allowed under THE
SKY(TM). Thank you for your mindless obedience. Enjoy!

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

Ben Thomas

Alan Browne wrote:

> Andrew McDonald wrote:
>
>> I recently purchased a 70-200 f2.8 lens. It first use will be at a
>> figure skating show in St. Louis at the Savvis Center in January.
>>
>> The last time I went to one of these (a few years ago) I was asked if
>> my camera was "professional". At the time I was using a Minolta 700si
>> with a 135mm f2.8 lens. I told them no and they let me in.

> Assuming you still have a Minolta just say, "nah, pros use Nikons" while
> shaking your head shyly.
>

>> However, my 70-200mm lens is a bit more imposing than the 135mm lens
>> was. Will I have any problems?

> Yes, esp. if it is white. If they are doing a bag search, put it in a
> sweater or something at the bottom of the bag and put a cheap 28-80 or
> 50mm on the camera body until you're seated for 10 min. or so. Just
> hope they don't dig for booze.

What gives them the right to rifle through your personal possessions?
Certainly illegal here in Australia, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's legal
in the USA.

Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - UNICO Computer Systems
Melbourne, Australia

relate to the official business of my employer, UNICO Computer Systems,
shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Gigabyte Motherboard Hassles Tony Computer Information 5 05-13-2009 05:11 PM
sipgate new user hassles Mick UK VOIP 11 08-22-2006 09:54 PM
Cisco VPN Client and Widows 2000 server hassles AndyCapp77 Cisco 1 05-24-2006 11:55 AM
Firefox hassles WolfGang Firefox 3 09-17-2004 05:23 PM
Zip Hassles, EOFException. Andrew Tucker Java 6 09-24-2003 01:32 PM

Advertisments