Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 2mp vs 4 mp will I see much difference?

2mp vs 4 mp will I see much difference?

Tripletmomplus2

Hi, I have a Olympia 2mp camera that has taken wonderful pictures so far, I
really only print 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4 shots for
albums. Would I see much difference in the crispness of a photo if I upgrade
to a 4mp camera? I have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer I
use.
Thanks so much for any advice.

--
Mark & Donna/Indiana

Jorge Alvarez

> Hi, I have a Olympia 2mp camera that has taken wonderful pictures so far,
> really only print 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4 shots for
> albums.

For that size, hardly.

Cheers!

-Jorge

Koen

On a printer on that size you will probably see no difference at all.

"Tripletmomplus2" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:LOIzb.14$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi, I have a Olympia 2mp camera that has taken wonderful pictures so far,

> really only print 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4 shots for
> albums. Would I see much difference in the crispness of a photo if I

upgrade
> to a 4mp camera? I have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer I
> use.
> Thanks so much for any advice.
>
> --
> Mark & Donna/Indiana

Dr. Bob

"Tripletmomplus2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LOIzb.14$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi, I have a Olympia 2mp camera that has taken wonderful pictures so far,

> really only print 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4 shots for
> albums. Would I see much difference in the crispness of a photo if I

upgrade
> to a 4mp camera? I have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer I

Based on my own experience of going from a 2mp HP618 to a 4mp Canon
G3....not at those print sizes. At 8x10 there is a small difference, and I'm
sure larger prints would show even more. Much more critical is being sure
that you have changed the resolution from the "basic" 72 ppi to 240 ppi
before printing.

NJH

For 4 x 6 prints you don't need more than the 2 megapixels you've already
got. It's unlikely that you'd notice any difference with 4 Mp, all other
things being equal. In fact I have seen very satisfactory 8 x 10 prints made
with 2 Mp, though usually more resolution would be desirable for that size
print.

Neil

"Tripletmomplus2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LOIzb.14$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi, I have a Olympia 2mp camera that has taken wonderful pictures so far,

> really only print 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4 shots for
> albums. Would I see much difference in the crispness of a photo if I

upgrade
> to a 4mp camera? I have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer I
> use.
> Thanks so much for any advice.
>
> --
> Mark & Donna/Indiana

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:56:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
"Tripletmomplus2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, I have a Olympia 2mp camera that has taken wonderful pictures so far, I
>really only print 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4 shots for
>albums. Would I see much difference in the crispness of a photo if I upgrade
>to a 4mp camera? I have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer I
>use.

As other have said in general for the size prints you are making, no.
The one possibility would be if you wanted to print only a small
cropped portion of one of the original images. Here, the 4mp image
would give you a cropped image at sufficient resolution for a high
quality print of these sizes.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Juan R. Pollo

"Ed Ruf" <nospam*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> As other have said in general for the size prints you are making, no.
> The one possibility would be if you wanted to print only a small
> cropped portion of one of the original images. Here, the 4mp image
> would give you a cropped image at sufficient resolution for a high
> quality print of these sizes.

This is the one point people often overlook. Just because you want to print
a 4x6 doesn't mean you might not want a 4x6 of a small section of the image,
in which case you would actually be enlarging to 8x10 or beyond but cutting
out the unwanted sections to fit a 4x6 size.

Bottom line is if 4 MP can be had for about the price of 2 MP, go for the
most. Better to have and not need...

Juan

Ben Thomas

Tripletmomplus2 wrote:
> Hi, I have a Olympia 2mp camera that has taken wonderful pictures so far, I
> really only print 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4 shots for
> albums. Would I see much difference in the crispness of a photo if I upgrade
> to a 4mp camera? I have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer I
> use.
> Thanks so much for any advice.
>
> --
> Mark & Donna/Indiana

I've gone from a 2MP Kodak DC3800 to a 4MP Kodak DX6490. 6x4 prints from the
new camera look better, but that is probably because I get better focused photos
from the 4MP camera.

Higher resolution is not the only feature of newer cameras.

Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - UNICO Computer Systems
Melbourne, Australia

relate to the official business of my employer, UNICO Computer Systems,
shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Ron Hunter

Tripletmomplus2 wrote:

> Hi, I have a Olympia 2mp camera that has taken wonderful pictures so far, I
> really only print 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4 shots for
> albums. Would I see much difference in the crispness of a photo if I upgrade
> to a 4mp camera? I have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer I
> use.
> Thanks so much for any advice.
>
> --
> Mark & Donna/Indiana

Only if you print larger photos, or during editing you want to crop the
picture to magnify only a small part of the original picture.

Samuel Paik

"Tripletmomplus2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, I have a Olympia 2mp camera that has taken wonderful pictures so far, I
> really only print 4 x 6 or 3.5 x 4 shots for albums. Would I see much
> difference in the crispness of a photo if I upgrade to a 4mp camera?
> I have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer I use.

Rule of thumb: you don't benefit much from more than 300 pixels/inch
on a good printer. 300 * 6 * 300 * 4 = 2.2 million pixels. So, a 2 MP
camera is a pretty good match for that print size. However, more pixels
allow you to crop while maintaining a good pixel density, and of course,
make good larger prints. Up to you.

Cheers
Sam

who is reasonably happy with a number of 8x10s I've printed from my 1.5 MP
camera, although higher resolution would be nice.