Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PS workflow

PS workflow

Alan Terry

I'm reasonably familiar with PS, but new to using it for photographic
images. I've just discovered levels and curves.

When I set the brightness, contrast and colours on a new *TV monitor* I
like to make the picture B&W until I get the brightness and contrast
adjusted, then add colour "to taste".

I haven't seen this approach recommended in any forum / website I have
visited - any thoughts?

--
Alan ............

Alan Terry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark Johnson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Alan Terry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I'm reasonably familiar with PS, but new to using it for photographic
>>images. I've just discovered levels and curves.
>>
>>When I set the brightness, contrast and colours on a new *TV monitor* I
>>like to make the picture B&W until I get the brightness and contrast
>>adjusted, then add colour "to taste".

>Just convert to 'lab mode' and use only the luminance channel. Then go
>back to rgb and fade/saturate to taste.
>
>PSP has something similar, but I believe requires you to actually
>generate separate b/w images in one mode, one of those images being
>the luminance - and then you have to combine them back again, when
>you're done.

PSP=?

--
Alan ............

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Alan Terry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I'm reasonably familiar with PS, but new to using it for photographic
>>images. I've just discovered levels and curves.
>>
>>When I set the brightness, contrast and colours on a new *TV monitor* I
>>like to make the picture B&W until I get the brightness and contrast
>>adjusted, then add colour "to taste".

>Just convert to 'lab mode' and use only the luminance channel. Then go
>back to rgb and fade/saturate to taste.
>
>PSP has something similar, but I believe requires you to actually
>generate separate b/w images in one mode, one of those images being
>the luminance - and then you have to combine them back again, when
>you're done.

PS CS has a plugin filter, HSL/HSB, that converts between RGB, HSB, and
HSL, but of course it still displays the image as if the channels were
RGB; it doesn't make HSL or HSB native. I've always wondered why PS
doesn't have at least one of these as a native mode.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>