Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Win98se versus XP for PhotoShop, general photography.

Win98se versus XP for PhotoShop, general photography.

Rudy Von Tschudi

I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.

Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?

Patrick

Stanley Krute

Hi Patrick

> Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
> resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?

The key advantage is that XP is happy to gobble up as much RAM
as you throw at it. Win98 systems puke around 768 MB and above.
Photoshop loves running on an XP system with 1.5 GB of RAM.

Other advantages are increased system stability, better peripheral
device support, and easier networking.

Also: the best way to move a system to XP is to disable
the existing hard drive temporarily, install XP on a new hard drive,
then re-enable the old hard drive and re-install your apps. Reason
for this is that on non-trivial systems an XP upgrade over Win 9x
tends to fail outright or makes an ugly hash of the Windows registry;
best to give XP a nice clean fresh start.

Stan

Stan

John Horner

> I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new,

more
> powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
>
> Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
> resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
>

> Patrick

Absolutely. XP never has the "insufficient resources" problem which so
easily plagues Win98 machines for just one example. XP is a much more
robust OS in my experience.

John

Mark M

"Rudy Von Tschudi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E0Azb.27555$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new,

more
> powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
>
> Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
> resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?

I've had XP on my system since upgrading to it when XP was released.
In that time I have had exactly 2 (two) crashes where I've had to do a
reset.
That it...in how ever many months/years since XP came out.
This is with Photoshop, Office, and a (nearly) literal million other
demanding programs, and a full 25 external devices connected via firewire,
SCSI, PCMCIA (it's a laptop in a docking station), USB 1.0, USB 2.0,
parallel, serial, networking, and every other imaginable device.

The stability and memory handling of XP is so far above 98/98SE/Me it's not
even funny.
BTW--At work I run and personally use/maintain 11 98SE machines in my
office, and support 140 others all running 98SE. Believe me when I say you
would do well to move to XP.

Oh...And did I say I prefer XP??

Tony Spadaro

Very significant as others have no doubt pointed out. However, unless you
have 2 hard drives you still will suffer from the old Photoshop/Windows
scratch disk problem - no matter what the OS. Get a second hard drive and
set Photoshop to use that as the scratch and you will speed up the program
greatly.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Rudy Von Tschudi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E0Azb.27555$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new,

more
> powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
>
> Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
> resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
>

> Patrick

Todd Walker

In article <E0Azb.27555$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
> I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
> powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
>
> Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
> resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
>

> Patrick

XP is light years ahead of Win98 in all areas. After 20 years, MS
finally got an OS right (well, as right as they can get it.) Don't even
think about the upgrade -- just do it.

--
__________________________________
Todd Walker

Ron Hunter

Rudy Von Tschudi wrote:

> I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
> powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
>
> Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
> resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
>

> Patrick

Absolutely! WinXP does not suffer from the limited resource heaps of
Win9x releases. It is also markedly more stable, and has vastly better
memory management facilities, handles larger disk partitions, and larger
ram sizes better. It is superior in every respect, and has some nice
features regarding handling of images, and maintaining them on your disk.

Rafe B.

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 07:31:07 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Very significant as others have no doubt pointed out. However, unless you
>have 2 hard drives you still will suffer from the old Photoshop/Windows
>scratch disk problem - no matter what the OS. Get a second hard drive and
>set Photoshop to use that as the scratch and you will speed up the program
>greatly.

Please explain. Yeah, I've got two hard drives (on WIn2K)
but never told Photoshop about them. What's the alleged
symptom here?

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Martin Riddle

Yes, Upgrade to XP. XP does not suffer the 64k limit on near heap resources that 98 does. So you can
open as many windows that contain lots of controls(buttons list boxes, etc) and you wont exhaust the
GUI resources, at least for the near future.

Cheers

"Rudy Von Tschudi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E0Azb.27555$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
> powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
>
> Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
> resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
>

> Patrick

Bob Shomler

> I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
> powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
>
> Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
> resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?

Also note that the current Photoshop release (CS aka Photoshop runs
on XP, will not run on win98se.

Bob Shomler