Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Second lens recommendation for Canon Digital Rebel

Second lens recommendation for Canon Digital Rebel

Neal Matthis

I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'd like
to get a lens in the 200 to 300mm range. Was looking at the Canon 55-200 EF
USM II lens, since it appears to be designed specifically for the Rebel,
having a longer throw for DSLRs. I've read mostly that the included 18-55mm
EFS lens is pretty mediocre and was wondering if the 55-200 EF lens is also
mediocre considering the price is around $200. Thanks.

Neal

Faiser

Sounds like you are answering your own question here.

I bought my Rebel initially with the EF 75-300 but I returned to the store
the same week. Image quality was lacking, pictures were way too soft and a
focal length of 200+ is close to impossible to hold steady anyway without
tripod. The 55-200 would give you a range of 88-320mm, for this kind of
range you need better glass.
Have you considered the 28-135 IS USM? A bit more expensive but you also get
an effective range of 44-216mm for a stabilized image. You would not make
it up to 320mm, however, cropping a 216mm picture shot with image stabilizer
will likely give a sharper result than the softer one from the 320mm lens!
If you really need the long focal length maybe the 75-300 IS would also be a
valid option. There are many threads and comparisons about these lenses if
you dig a little.

"Neal Matthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'd like
> to get a lens in the 200 to 300mm range. Was looking at the Canon 55-200

EF
> USM II lens, since it appears to be designed specifically for the Rebel,
> having a longer throw for DSLRs. I've read mostly that the included

18-55mm
> EFS lens is pretty mediocre and was wondering if the 55-200 EF lens is

also
> mediocre considering the price is around $200. Thanks.
>
> Neal

Lansbury

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 01:34:38 -0500, "Neal Matthis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've read mostly that the included 18-55mm
>EFS lens is pretty mediocre

you have the lens, what do you consider of the results it produces. The
55-200 EF-S is IMHO of a similar standard, but I am one who considers
the kit lens is reasonable, but not as good as my 50mm or 28-135 IS USM
lenses.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net

Charles Schuler

Take a look at the 75-300 IS lens. It makes a nice addition to the kit.

Todd Walker

says...
> I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'd like
> to get a lens in the 200 to 300mm range. Was looking at the Canon 55-200 EF
> USM II lens, since it appears to be designed specifically for the Rebel,
> having a longer throw for DSLRs. I've read mostly that the included 18-55mm
> EFS lens is pretty mediocre and was wondering if the 55-200 EF lens is also
> mediocre considering the price is around $200. Thanks.
>
> Neal

70-200 f/4L. Around $570.

--
__________________________________
Todd Walker
http://www.toddwalker.net/canon10d
__________________________________

jriegle

I got the EF 80-200mm zoom. It gives you the equiv. field of view on the
D-Rebel as a 128-320mm on a 35mm camera. You can get it for $150 and
probably much less. It seems to do better at the long end than the EF
75-300mm zoom does, although it doesn't have the reach. It is f/5.6 at the
tele setting, but given the fact that you can crank the rebel up to ISO 400
or even 800 with little penalty in noise it is not too bad.
John

"Neal Matthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'd like
> to get a lens in the 200 to 300mm range. Was looking at the Canon 55-200

EF
> USM II lens, since it appears to be designed specifically for the Rebel,
> having a longer throw for DSLRs. I've read mostly that the included

18-55mm
> EFS lens is pretty mediocre and was wondering if the 55-200 EF lens is

also
> mediocre considering the price is around $200. Thanks.
>
> Neal

▀owser

I guess I'll cast the lone vote for the 55-200. I've used a bit (I've only
had it a couple of weeks) and the results aren't bad at all. Here's a sample
(hand-held)(this is a full-size pic and a large download):

http://home.comcast.net/~xelbon/55-200.JPG

It's not as sharp as some of Canon's better lenses, but it's light, handles
good, and can provide nice results. Inexpensive, too.

"Neal Matthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'd like
> to get a lens in the 200 to 300mm range. Was looking at the Canon 55-200

EF
> USM II lens, since it appears to be designed specifically for the Rebel,
> having a longer throw for DSLRs. I've read mostly that the included

18-55mm
> EFS lens is pretty mediocre and was wondering if the 55-200 EF lens is

also
> mediocre considering the price is around $200. Thanks.
>
> Neal

Todd Walker

In article <8lwzb.297277$275.1022345@attbi_s53>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> I guess I'll cast the lone vote for the 55-200. I've used a bit (I've only
> had it a couple of weeks) and the results aren't bad at all. Here's a sample
> (hand-held)(this is a full-size pic and a large download):
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~xelbon/55-200.JPG
>
> It's not as sharp as some of Canon's better lenses, but it's light, handles
> good, and can provide nice results. Inexpensive, too.

Wow. That's much better than I would have expected from that lens...

--
__________________________________
Todd Walker

▀owser

I was surprised, as well. I've yet to tripod mount it and test it properly,
but for a lightweight travel lens, it's nice.

I guess I'll add this to the "I don't get it" file. From time to time on
this, and other forums, I read something that is completely contrary to what
I see in practice. Sometimes I wonder if people comment without ever
actually using the gear. I never offer comment without hands-on experience.

"Todd Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <8lwzb.297277$275.1022345@attbi_s53>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I guess I'll cast the lone vote for the 55-200. I've used a bit (I've

only
> > had it a couple of weeks) and the results aren't bad at all. Here's a

sample
> > (hand-held)(this is a full-size pic and a large download):
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~xelbon/55-200.JPG
> >
> > It's not as sharp as some of Canon's better lenses, but it's light,

handles
> > good, and can provide nice results. Inexpensive, too.
> >

> Wow. That's much better than I would have expected from that lens...
>
> --
> __________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://www.toddwalker.net
> http://www.twphotography.net

Todd Walker

In article <%kGzb.301966$ao4.1040878@attbi_s51>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Sometimes I wonder if people comment without ever
> actually using the gear.

Yes, it happens all the time.

--
Todd Walker