Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sell 300d kit lens?

Sell 300d kit lens?

Eric Witte

I have a calibrated silver canon 24-85 USM coming sometime during the
week. Would anyone recommend keeping the 18-55mm EF-S lens that came
in the kit? I'm seeing them go for as much as $165 on ebay. Would it
be advisable to keep for only 6mm? The new lens would be fairly cheap
if I could get close to that for my kit lens and filters. I could
always get a second lens for wide angle in a year or so I guess if
needed. Such as the 12-24mm sigma.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4687

Eric

Mark B.

"Eric Witte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a calibrated silver canon 24-85 USM coming sometime during the
> week. Would anyone recommend keeping the 18-55mm EF-S lens that came
> in the kit? I'm seeing them go for as much as $165 on ebay. Would it
> be advisable to keep for only 6mm? The new lens would be fairly cheap
> if I could get close to that for my kit lens and filters. I could
> always get a second lens for wide angle in a year or so I guess if
> needed. Such as the 12-24mm sigma.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4687

> Eric

If it was me, I'd keep it only because the 300D is the only camera it will
work on. It might be a good idea to sell it with the camera when you're
ready to upgrade.

Mark

▀owser

It's not that bad. Keep it. Wide open it's a little soft, but stopped down,
it's good.

"Eric Witte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a calibrated silver canon 24-85 USM coming sometime during the
> week. Would anyone recommend keeping the 18-55mm EF-S lens that came
> in the kit? I'm seeing them go for as much as $165 on ebay. Would it
> be advisable to keep for only 6mm? The new lens would be fairly cheap
> if I could get close to that for my kit lens and filters. I could
> always get a second lens for wide angle in a year or so I guess if
> needed. Such as the 12-24mm sigma.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4687

> Eric

Eric Witte

> If it was me, I'd keep it only because the 300D is the only camera it will
> work on. It might be a good idea to sell it with the camera when you're
> ready to upgrade.
>
> Mark

I'm thinking about keeping it for 2 reasons. It will probably
increase the value if/when I decide to sell it and as a backup in case
something happens to the better lens. I'll probably not bother with
it for the extra 6mm. I will test out the stitching software. That
should be all the wide angle I need

I can't wait to try out the new lens. The seller upgraded to a
24-70L. This one supposedly is one of the better ones. Hopefully
since it sold for about $20 more than a new one

Eric

Eric Witte

"▀owser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<gmGzb.299387$9E1.1524222@attbi_s52>...
> It's not that bad. Keep it. Wide open it's a little soft, but stopped down,
> it's good.
>
> "Eric Witte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

I'm not sure if I have tried it wide open yet but I'm playing with f/8
and f/11 right now. I did get a fairly sharp picture. It was fairly
cloudy. I believe I had to go down to 1/60s and ISO200.

Eric