Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Garbled Photo using Sandisk SD card?

Garbled Photo using Sandisk SD card?

Test User

Hi everyone,

I just bought a DX4530 EasyShare Kodak camera, along with a 256MB sandisk SD
card.

The problem seems to lie with the card, because whenever I preview my card
in windows explorer using my windows 2000 pc picture 100_0052.jpg
gets garbled, here's a screen shot of my windows explorer
http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/garble.jpg
Only the preview gets garbled, but when I click on the actual picture it
seems fine.

Although I did try viewing the pic on another PC, and was ok there (my
colleague has windows xp)
I do have another SD card made by Lexar, which is excellent and has no such
problems.

I am considering exchanging it for a Lexar Card.

Equipment summary:
PC: 1 GHz processor with 256MB ram
windows: Win 2000
monitor multisync FE1250+
resolution: 1600x1200
card reader: jump drive trio
camera: DX4530
card: 256 Sandisk SD card

Thanx,
TU

Martin Brown

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Test User <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Hi everyone,
>
>I just bought a DX4530 EasyShare Kodak camera, along with a 256MB sandisk SD
>card.
>
>The problem seems to lie with the card, because whenever I preview my card
>in windows explorer using my windows 2000 pc picture 100_0052.jpg
>gets garbled, here's a screen shot of my windows explorer
>http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/garble.jpg
>Only the preview gets garbled, but when I click on the actual picture it
>seems fine.

That is a very odd fault. But not impossible. The colour patterns show
some corruption in the data stream used to make the preview. I would be
more inclined to blame Win2k for this aberration myself. I have seen too
many media transfer problems related specifically to that OS.

>Although I did try viewing the pic on another PC, and was ok there (my
>colleague has windows xp)
>I do have another SD card made by Lexar, which is excellent and has no such
>problems.
>
>I am considering exchanging it for a Lexar Card.

Is the good card the same size as the failing one?

>Equipment summary:
>PC: 1 GHz processor with 256MB ram
>windows: Win 2000
>monitor multisync FE1250+
>resolution: 1600x1200
>card reader: jump drive trio
>camera: DX4530
>card: 256 Sandisk SD card

That the card reads OK on your friends PC suggests something else is at
fault. Repeatable data errors are quite rare.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Test User

Hi Martin,

Thank You so much for trying to resolve my hell.

Well anyways I did try the same card (sandisk) and card reader
(JumpDriveTrio) on Win 98 machine.
The preview (using PSP7) seemed ok. But both pictures were messed up, when
viewing in PSP7 or MS Photo Editor.

The good Lexar card is 128MB the sandisk card is 256MB.

Other PC summary:
PC: 500 MHz processor with 128MB ram
windows: Win 98SE
monitor multisync ??
resolution: 1280 x 1024

One other thing I did try was running VSFMark with my Palm Zire 71 and here
are the results:
Ironically the sandisk scored higher than the Lexmark but file write is
woefully slow.

VFSMark Results Lexmark
File Create: 186%
File Delete: 157%
File Write: 59%
File Read: 249%
File Seek: 327%
DB Export: 64%
DB Import: 377%
Record Access: 385%
Resource Access: 345%
VFSMark: 238

VFSMark Results Sandisk
File Create: 170%
File Delete: 101%
File Write: 21%
File Read: 329%
File Seek: 368%
DB Export: 155%
DB Import: 459%
Record Access: 470%
Resource Access: 431%
VFSMark: 278

Regards
TU

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Ow8NTrCtYJz$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Test User <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >I just bought a DX4530 EasyShare Kodak camera, along with a 256MB sandisk

SD
> >card.
> >
> >The problem seems to lie with the card, because whenever I preview my

card
> >in windows explorer using my windows 2000 pc picture 100_0052.jpg
> >gets garbled, here's a screen shot of my windows explorer
> >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/garble.jpg
> >Only the preview gets garbled, but when I click on the actual picture it
> >seems fine.

> That is a very odd fault. But not impossible. The colour patterns show
> some corruption in the data stream used to make the preview. I would be
> more inclined to blame Win2k for this aberration myself. I have seen too
> many media transfer problems related specifically to that OS.
> >
> >Although I did try viewing the pic on another PC, and was ok there (my
> >colleague has windows xp)
> >I do have another SD card made by Lexar, which is excellent and has no

such
> >problems.
> >
> >I am considering exchanging it for a Lexar Card.

> Is the good card the same size as the failing one?
> >
> >Equipment summary:
> >PC: 1 GHz processor with 256MB ram
> >windows: Win 2000
> >monitor multisync FE1250+
> >resolution: 1600x1200
> >card reader: jump drive trio
> >camera: DX4530
> >card: 256 Sandisk SD card

> That the card reads OK on your friends PC suggests something else is at
> fault. Repeatable data errors are quite rare.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Martin Brown

Martin Brown

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Test User <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Hi Martin,
>
>Thank You so much for trying to resolve my hell.
>
>Well anyways I did try the same card (sandisk) and card reader
>(JumpDriveTrio) on Win 98 machine.
>The preview (using PSP7) seemed ok. But both pictures were messed up, when
>viewing in PSP7 or MS Photo Editor.

Damaged the same way every time? Or different faults each time you read
it? What if you copy them to a hard disk and then open them?

Next step is try a reader you know has worked OK with the Sandisk card
elsewhere on your own PC. It might be a bad media card, but a bad reader
is more likely.

>The good Lexar card is 128MB the sandisk card is 256MB.

Points to either the card reader or its drivers and larger media.

Although USB on Win98 isn't something you can rely on working properly
so other things could be going wrong there too!

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Test User

Martin,

I've decided to return the Sandisk card and exchange it for the Lexar
branded version.

See my separate post (12/4) regarding these 2 issues:
but I bought a 256mb Lexar SD card, but turns out the card is MMC.
Also having problems with Kodak

Arrgh.....

news:gQfGrrLimbz$(E-Mail Removed)...